Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Vikings Pull The Plug On Their Message Boards Over AP Situation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems overboard to me. A MB is a place where fans can vent. As long as their code of conduct was adhered to, I don't see why the "I'll take my ball and go home" mentality was put in place here. If COC violations occured then boot those who didn't want to adhere to them. This is classic punishing many because of few.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...59347.html

edit: Doesn't appear to have been a team run website, but same logic applies.

Yea I read it was a fan ran message board and they closed up to protest the reactivation of AP.

In all fairness, I think people are going a little nuts over AP.  I think he needs some anger management/child classes.  Thats obviously where his issue is.

I'm nowhere near saying what he did was right and the, "my parents did it to me" excuse isnt a good one....but it has some merit.

A lot of teams have removed message boards from their official websites.  Most don't want to deal with the aggravation.  The solution the Jaguars organization came up with in having volunteer moderators policing the site may be unpopular to a few posters here, but it's one of the main reasons this board still exists.  They were seriously considering doing what other teams were doing at one point. 

This situation is a little unique because the owner/operator of the board was disgusted by the way the Vikings have handled the Peterson situation.  Good for him.  They don't have to support the mindset that it's okay to beat kids to the point where welts and cuts are common.  They don't have to agree with the fact that the team has decided to activate Peterson this week despite the fact that nothing has changed, and more allegations are now coming out. 

Quote:A lot of teams have removed message boards from their official websites. Most don't want to deal with the aggravation. The solution the Jaguars organization came up with in having volunteer moderators policing the site may be unpopular to a few posters here, but it's one of the main reasons this board still exists. They were seriously considering doing what other teams were doing at one point.

This situation is a little unique because the owner/operator of the board was disgusted by the way the Vikings have handled the Peterson situation. Good for him. They don't have to support the mindset that it's okay to beat kids to the point where welts and cuts are common. They don't have to agree with the fact that the team has decided to activate Peterson this week despite the fact that nothing has changed, and more allegations are now coming out.

Well, they certainly made a statement.
Tyranny.

Quote:A lot of teams have removed message boards from their official websites.  Most don't want to deal with the aggravation.  The solution the Jaguars organization came up with in having volunteer moderators policing the site may be unpopular to a few posters here, but it's one of the main reasons this board still exists.  They were seriously considering doing what other teams were doing at one point. 

Most people on here don't realize this board was one person away from being gone. 
Quote:Most people on here don't realize this board was one person away from being gone. 

TMD?
Quote:TMD?
No, one person who saved the board when the higher ups wanted it gone.
Quote:No, one person who saved the board when the higher ups wanted it gone.

Alright now we need some clues...
Quote:No, one person who saved the board when the higher ups wanted it gone.

You've been around much too long to get whooshed like that.
Quote:Most people on here don't realize this board was one person away from being gone. 
No, they don't.  There were a lot of conversations about what to do with the board, and it came down to some very direct discussions with one guy who had been given the final determination as to what happened with this board.  The trial plan that came from that has kept this board going for several years and through many iterations. 
Quote:No, they don't.  There were a lot of conversations about what to do with the board, and it came down to some very direct discussions with one guy who had been given the final determination as to what happened with this board.  The trial plan that came from that has kept this board going for several years and through many iterations. 

When did that happen?
I think I remember this happening, in which case I'd say 7-8ish years ago. There was a huge problem with political and religious discussions going off the crazy train. I remember when they were banned. Plus, people were real jackwagons. If you think it can be bad now, you have no idea.

I didn't realize this.  I appreciate that you mentioned this and for the efforts of the person who saved the MB.

Having said that,  I have realized for many, many years that a MB such as this one is potentially only one post away from disappearing.   This is a major reason why I rather back off in a discussion that's heated and/ or controversial instead of risking going beyond the COC.   Each person that posts on a MB needs to be responsible because our actions can adversely affect countless people.