Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If you took Jalen Ramsey and Jackson off of Wash's Defense, where would would it rank?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I still don't think this defense is as good as the media would have you believe. Listening to 1010 you'd think that it's a must that we keep Todd Wash, but honestly I just think the defense improved in spite of him. We simply have better players. The idea that Wash is behind our huge reversal is misleading but even still I think with another scheme we'd be even better that's why I'm personally not afraid of letting Wash walk.

Just my thoughts!
33rd
They were big contributors to the Jags having a good defense under Wash.

So were  Telvin, Poz, Amukamara, Ngakoue, Marks, Fowler and others. 

Wash is an improvement iver babich but by no means is he a considerable factor in the defense being as good as it was. We just had better players everywhere
Quote:Wash is an improvement iver babich but by no means is he a considerable factor in the defense being as good as it was. We just had better players everywhere

I don't know about "everywhere" but there is plenty of talent on the defense. There was a lot of talent on this defense last year too. 

Wash was able to take advantage of most of it fairly well, but I'd love to see what a more aggressive DC that doesn't take his foot off the gas with a lead would do with this defensive roster.  
Middle of the pack. Jackson was really are only source of pass rush in the interior and created space on the outside for Yannick. And if you take Ramsey completely out of the equation you're talking about potentially having House out there as a starting CB. That alone is terrifying. So I'd say we'd be around the 16th - 20th overall ranking without these two. 

Gus/Wash's defense philosophy is all about being simple and fast. It requires having good players who are well prepared, so knocking them for a good season because they had good players is silly. He still shouldn't keep his job, but you are missing the point of the defensive philosophy.

You know it's the offseason when you are contemplating how good we would be without our best players.

I have a feeling that GB is not trying to contemplate whether they'd be good without Rogers and Nelson.

I bet Seattle wishes it WASN'T pondering being without Earl Thomas, but that's a tad different

Quote:I still don't think this defense is as good as the media would have you believe. Listening to 1010 you'd think that it's a must that we keep Todd Wash, but honestly I just think the defense improved in spite of him. We simply have better players. The idea that Wash is behind our huge reversal is misleading but even still I think with another scheme we'd be even better that's why I'm personally not afraid of letting Wash walk.

Just my thoughts!

Couldn't we do that for any defense? All defenses need good players. If the defense was ranked in the low 20's, ppl would be bashing wash for that, but it's #6 and ppl are still bashing him. We came into this year knowing we needed a centerfielder, a lock-down corner and more consistent 3 tech play as marks had been hurt 2 years in a row. Once we got those things, the defense was noticeably improved. You've created a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.
Quote:You know it's the offseason when you are contemplating how good we would be without our best players.

I have a feeling that GB is not trying to contemplate whether they'd be good without Rogers and Nelson.

I bet Seattle wishes it WASN'T pondering being without Earl Thomas, but that's a tad different

Even earlier this season when Jordy Nelson was coming off a torn ACL,  in most games the Packers Offense was nothing like it's now.   While we have seen coaching can go along way in the NFL,  ultimately it comes down to having enough talent.  
Shoot. Wash should be our HC

I like Wash.

But I want someone that doesn't take his foot off of the gas with a lead  - someone who schemes more to his players strengths  - and who game-plans more to his opponents weaknesses. 

Those are my three gripes with Wash - and I believe a competent DC that is cognizant of those deficiencies will have great success with this defensive roster.   

With all the defensive players complaining how they were used...wouldn't that be awkward.

[Image: 7ef0f586857f6de13b5844354273007a90188bd0...23b73c.jpg]

The fact we are having this discussion tells me Caldwell is not the problem with this organization.

I think it would drop significantly. If Ramsey and Prince didn't play as well as they did, I don't think Ngakoue gets that many sacks. I think we'd be in the mid to low 20's.
I bet Mike Smith could do really great things we this defense. If he can get another offensive wizard to run the show on the other side of the ball, like he's already done twice, I'd love to have him back.

Tbh I'm not sure why he's not the obvious front runner. I said 6 months ago I'd like to see him back, and I think he's the best choice now. There's talent he can work with here.
Quote:The fact we are having this discussion tells me Caldwell is not the problem with this organization.
BOOM! Agree with ya here and I can see no valid argument to your statement either
It would probably rank pretty low, considering we'd only have 9 players on the field.

I know the defensive rankings say 6th or so but I'd say even with Ramsey and Malik we would around the 12-18th best defensive team this year.
Quote:I know the defensive rankings say 6th or so but I'd say even with Ramsey and Malik we would were around the 12-18th best defensive team this year.
Factor in the 3 and outs and the lopsided time of possession and I think they were more realistically around 9th or so.  

I mean, if we are doing all of this "adjusting" then..... 

It really doesn't matter where folks want to adjust their ranking.  The talent is largely there for a very good defense to happen next season. I'm more concerned with who will be preparing them each week and calling the plays in 2017 than whether they were "as good as" their ranking in 2016. 
Pages: 1 2