Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gabberts, nice people
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just had Blaine's distant Uncle come through my shop, what a nice guy. Now I feel REALLY bad it didn't work out for Blaine!

Told him I was pulling for him in San Fran he said it was nice to see someone that didn't hate his nephew, guess we forget sometimes these guys have real families out there.

Small world huh?

Quote:guess we forget sometimes these guys have real families out there.
Sadly, the people who do remember that and root for players to succeed even when they've sucked for three years are dismissed as having teal-colored glasses and not "calling it as they see it".
Quote:Just had Blaine's distant Uncle come through my shop, what a nice guy. Now I feel REALLY bad it didn't work out for Blaine!

Told him I was pulling for him in San Fran he said it was nice to see someone that didn't hate his nephew, guess we forget sometimes these guys have real families out there.

Small world huh?

Lots of players and people related to them are nice people.  Tim Tebow is supposedly one of the coolest guys ever.  But NFL ability and niceness have no relationship and the Ray Rice thing clearly shows that.  Incidentally, I understand that Gabbert himself is not really that great of a guy, but who knows for sure?
They said his younger brother Tyler completly gave up football last year
Quote:They said his younger brother Tyler completly gave up football last year

Only way to avoid the Gabbert football curse.
I had nothing against Gabbert as a person, I just didn't want him on the team. 

I don't think anyone really hated him at all personally, they just hated having him as the quarterback of the team.

Quote:I don't think anyone really hated him at all personally, they just hated having him as the quarterback of the team.

No, they hated him personally.
This is why I'll never refer to any player as garbage based on his on-field performance.

Quote:This is why I'll never refer to any player as garbage based on his on-field performance.
On the field and off the field can be separtaed quite easily. A players play on the field can be garbage, while personally he could be the greatest person in the world.
Quote:On the field and off the field can be separtaed quite easily. A players play on the field can be garbage, while personally he could be the greatest person in the world.

Calling one's performance on the field garbage is different than calling a player garbage because of his performance on the field.
Quote:This is why I'll never refer to any player as garbage based on his on-field performance.

They definitely seemed like the family took lots of the criticism personally.

You'd think I gave him a million dollars when I told him I was pulling for Blaine in San Fran.
Quote:They definitely seemed like the family took lots of the criticism personally.

You'd think I gave him a million dollars when I told him I was pulling for Blaine in San Fran.

I think they were just in shock when you told them that.

I'm sure they don't get many positive things said about Blaine and were surprised to hear something that wasn't negative.
Quote:Calling one's performance on the field garbage is different than calling a player garbage because of his performance on the field.

True, aren't fans entitled to their own opinion about nfl players, even negative ones? It's a very public job.

I will agree that some fans take it too far though, and will say and do things that are uncalled for.
It comes with the territory.

I'm sure Gabbert, or guys like him, does not even think about any of our feelings whenever he is reaping the "benefits" of being an NFL football player, if you know what I mean
Quote:Sadly, the people who do remember that and root for players to succeed even when they've sucked for three years are dismissed as having teal-colored glasses and not "calling it as they see it".

I felt a lot of us took Blaine in and rooted for him for almost the entire time, but its a competitive league and years of failure do result in loss of work.
Quote:Calling one's performance on the field garbage is different than calling a player garbage because of his performance on the field.
Agreed, its one thing to insult a person's charcater its another to state the obivious work performance failures.