Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gatlinburg, TN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going on vacation for the first time to see some mountains, etc. Does anyone live out there or have been there before? Any spots worth checking out? I've looked around online and have seen some things that are interesting but want to make sure I am getting the most bang for my buck.

The park is free. Take a drive out to Cades Cove.
1. Gotta get a sausage dog at Fanny Farkles.

2. Get some sweets at any of the candy shops... Most are pulling taffy all day.

3. Hit up the aquarium.

4. Ober Gatlinburg is a must.

4a. While on top of the mountain take the sky lift.. The view is breathtaking.

5. Check out a few of the haunted side shows.. They are always good for a laugh.

6. Plenty of arcades to drop a quarter or two.

7. Steer clear of the time share sales people.

8. Sweet Fanny Adams... A vaudeville comedy show that is a staple of my vacations.

9. Take a short drive to Pigeon Forge, lots of dinner theatres, mini golf and go cart tracks for all ages.

In all, just enjoy... It's The Great Smokey Mountains.
Don't know if you're more into touristy endeavors or if you like to go off on your own. If you really like to be outside and enjoy hiking (mild hiking) not repelling or anything crazy, I'd recommend you go to Max Patch Mountain and while you're about an hour and a half away from Gatlinburg, head over to Greeneville, TN to see Margarette Falls, both of these are 2 of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen in the mountains.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevie...essee.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re...olina.html

The photos of Max Patch don't even begin to do it justice. I can't explain how amazing of a feeling being at the top is and with the prettiest view in every direction you could imagine.

It all depends on what entertains you. Gatlinburg is a little "touristy" for my taste, but the surrounding area is beautiful country and rich in history. If you hold off into October, the colors are spectacular, and should be in peak form as we've had a lot of rain in this part of the country this year.

Quote:Going on vacation for the first time to see some mountains, etc. Does anyone live out there or have been there before? Any spots worth checking out? I've looked around online and have seen some things that are interesting but want to make sure I am getting the most bang for my buck.

Gatlinburg- home of The Cooter Museum.   I saw that sign and said, this is the place for me.   A Cooter museum!    Then I found out it was built by the guy that used to play Cooter on Dukes of Hazzard.  Named after the character.    Soooo disappointed. 

I've been to Gatlinburg.   It's right next to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.    It's a nice area. 

http://www.cootersplace.com/museum/gatlinburg/
Gatlinburg is a tourist trap as well as Pigeon Forge, and traffic is usually horrendous on holidays and most weekends.  A little bit of that goes a long way with me however a great local brewery/restaurant at the south edge of town we never miss is called Smoky Mountain Brewery. 

To get away from the craziness, I suggest taking 441 south (Gatlinburg main drag) into the National Park and take a right at Sugarlands Visitors Center and you will be on River Road. Take it about 30 miles to Cades Cove along a very scenic cascading river the entire way.  Cades Cove is a self guided one-way road about 18 miles long where you will see a lot of deer, wild turkeys, and maybe some black bears.

Or, go straight on 441 at the visitors center and go up the mountain.  There are many places to pull off and walk on some easy trails along creeks and vistas.  If more serious hiking is your thing, go on the Chimney Tops trail (2.8 miles one-way) which starts about halfway up the mountain.  Or you could drive to the very top to Clingsman Dome where there is a steep short paved walkway to the highest point in the Smokies and some great views.  Even more serious hiking would be longer trails up to the LeConte Lodge.  Google is your friend.

We love the area and have been going every year for the last 18 years and spending a week each time.  I have more suggestions if you are interested on the south side of the mountain. Enjoy.

There is some excellent advice on hiking. The views are breathtaking. If there are children invilved, I would recommend Dollywood. My girls and grandchildren still enjoy going there.

Walking the trails and looking at the mountains, it is not hard to envision Jed Clampett. Living in those hills and hollers was not an easy life.

HeadSlap

Quote:There is some excellent advice on hiking. The views are breathtaking. If there are children invilved, I would recommend Dollywood. My girls and grandchildren still enjoy going there.

Walking the trails and looking at the mountains, it is not hard to envision Jed Clampett. Living in those hills and hollers was not an easy life.

HeadSlap

No, it's not.  Wayward canoeing city boy numbers are dropping off too. 
i go to ober-gatlinburg sometimes on x-mas for snowboarding ,  the go-kart tracks in pigeon forge looks great driving by.  lots to do and gonna cost some dough but , ENJOY !

give us a report !

Quote:No, it's not.  Wayward canoeing city boy numbers are dropping off too. 

Puts a big hurt on your love life, does it?

Quote:i go to ober-gatlinburg sometimes on x-mas for snowboarding ,  the go-kart tracks in pigeon forge looks great driving by.  lots to do and gonna cost some dough but , ENJOY !

give us a report !

Be careful what you ask for.
Quote:Puts a big hurt on your love life, does it?

No, I apply the big hurt on love lives.  I'm just getting less of it.
My family goes to the area every year.

Cades Cove

Dollywood

Dixie Stampede

spend day at Chimney top picnic area

ride the roads as much as you can you won't believe some of the views you will get.

If you like hiking hike to Abrams Falls in Cades Cove it's a nice trek and a great swim at the end of it.

If you don't mind driving a bit pack a picnic and ride to Cumberland Gap at the Kentucky/TN/Virginia border it's worth it and there is an Abe Lincoln museum along the way.

Places to not miss to eat at include Applewood Restaurant (Pigeon Forge), No Way Jose( Gatlinburn), and Log Cabin Pancake house in Gatlinburg on the road the space needle is on, and the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge

Forget Ober Gatlinburg, Aquarium both will cost you and not really worth the money IMO.

Quote: 

Places to not miss to eat at include Applewood Restaurant (Pigeon Forge), No Way Jose( Gatlinburn), and Log Cabin Pancake house in Gatlinburg on the road the space needle is on, and the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge

Is that restaurant at the Apple Barn?
I really can't add much, as everyone has had very good advice.

If you've got the cash, you might want to go for a chalet in the mountains.  Just check out online reviews first.

If you go the chalet route, also make sure your vehicle is in good shape to climb the mountains (and in rain, snow, etc. depending on the time of year you go.)  Some of the mountain roads are narrow and have ruts from the runoff on their shoulders.  On the main roads, this isn't as much a problem... mostly if you're staying somewhere off the beaten path.

Gaitlinburg is nice and has some character, Pigeon Forge is just a tacky tourist-trap strip.  

Cades Cove is great if you're into the wildlife tour.  Deer everywhere, turkey, bears, etc.

Applewood restaurant = don't waste your time or money.

Take a drive over the mountain  on rt 441, into Cherokee (watch out for elk on the road)

Don't miss the free whiskey tasting at the Ole Smokey Distillery.

Ober Gaitlinburg aerial tram gives you a great view.

DON'T fall for the timeshare promo-just say no and run away.

Shack Del Rio yes it is the one beside Apple Barn.  The fried chicken cordon is awesome

That place was awesome. We loved it. Me, my girl and the pup had a good time. The cabin was nice and the trails were awesome. Cades Cove was well worth the trip. That place is amazing. We went to Laurel Falls as well, and also the dome place where it's high up and you get a 360 degree view. Just a great place man. The town area was awesome. Got some moonshine from Sugarland and did the taste testing thing there. Folks are so friendly there too. Pigeon Forge was fun checking out. We went to Cherokee too close to the Carolina border. I've got to get back up there. The weather was perfect too a few weeks ago. But yeah man. Enjoyed it completely. Will probably go back in 2016 during the winter time to see how the mountains look with the snow.

I'll add this too. They've got Pancake places everywhere! XD