Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hurns Love From NFL.COM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just read this a moment ago and thought I'd put it here for everyone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-the-rough

Nice.

I sure hope Hurns develops into a star...just like I do for Lee and Robinson.

Call me greedy like that.

:thumbsup:

I hope so i drafted him with my 22nd pick of our draft keeper for the future :-)

I like what we have seen from him and hes been playing with the 1's and 2's.
It can't be understated that he has indeed outplayed every rookie WR drafted this year.

When have we saw this before? A UDFA outplaying 1st round picks? This could be huge for Caldwell/Bradleys future in Jax as well as start a trend for teams drafting college players that are related to the OC from college. (The Fisch/Hurns connection). Also can't understate the importance of Sullivan.

I'll give him some love as well.

http://www.fakepigskin.com/?p=10923
Quote:I hope so i drafted him with my 22nd pick of our draft keeper for the future :-)

I like what we have seen from him and hes been playing with the 1's and 2's.

You do realize you probably could have gotten him in round twelve or later right? Unless your draft was full of jaguar fans
One specific aspect about Allen Hurns that jumped out on this end when watching him in the Lions game is he has great instincts and feel for making plays.   This isn't the norm with rookie WR's.  Many veteran WR's don't even have this 6th sense.   The fact that Hurns made plays for 1st Downs against a combination of veteran CB's and young talented CB's should bode well for Hurns and the Jaguars.   While many rookies peter out when the regular season begins,  I don't think this will be the case with Hurns.   I think he's going to be seeing plenty of playing time this season and for many seasons to follow.

Hurns broke the University of Miami's single season receiving yards record, eclipsing Hankerson, Brown, and Johnson.  Hindsight 20/20, when you look at his last season at Miami, it makes little sense that he did not get drafted.  His misfortune has become the Jag's fortune.  I don't see Hurns being a camp league only phenom; I think his play is sustainable into the regular season if he continues to get reps. 

Quote:One specific aspect about Allen Hurns that jumped out on this end when watching him in the Lions game is he has great instincts and feel for making plays.   This isn't the norm with rookie WR's.  Many veteran WR's don't even have this 6th sense.   The fact that Hurns made plays for 1st Downs against a combination of veteran CB's and young talented CB's should bode well for Hurns and the Jaguars.   While many rookies peter out when the regular season begins,  I don't think this will be the case with Hurns.   I think he's going to be seeing plenty of playing time this season and for many seasons to follow.
Assuming this is accurate and he does not level off in the regular season, I wonder how much of this is attributable to him knowing the offense coming out of college and just being able to play on instinct, and how much of this is just natural instinct and play making ability that would have succeeded irrespective of the scheme.
Quote:Nice.

I sure hope Hurns develops into a star...just like I do for Lee and Robinson.

Call me greedy like that.
Agreed.  Hurns is a great story to begin with.  If he were to parlay this opportunity into a legitimate starting role, that's just gravy.  If the other guys show up, it's hard not to get excited about the possibilities.  Especially if you think about what we could have once Blackmon gets back on the field (assuming that happens eventually, and he's able to get back to where he was prior to the suspension.).
Quote:Assuming this is accurate and he does not level off in the regular season, I wonder how much of this is attributable to him knowing the offense coming out of college and just being able to play on instinct, and how much of this is just natural instinct and play making ability that would have succeeded irrespective of the scheme.
I'm sure familiarity with the offense helped, but there's something almost instinctual about the way he gets open on plays.  Now, granted, it was preseason, and things will get a lot more complicated once the games count, but if he's able to show this well in the preseason, the rest should come along with time. 
Quote:Assuming this is accurate and he does not level off in the regular season, I wonder how much of this is attributable to him knowing the offense coming out of college and just being able to play on instinct, and how much of this is just natural instinct and play making ability that would have succeeded irrespective of the scheme.

While you raise a great question,  my gut feeling is along the lines of what FBT expressed below.   Allen Hurns seems to have the ' it' factor.   Of course there will be obstacles along the way when he's facing complex talented Defenses that have scouted the Jaguars extensively.  Yet,  as Hurns gains experience,  he seems to have the makeup,  instincts,  and enough physical ability to be effective over the long haul.     Even as Hurns goes through some growing pains,   I think he will have his share of success along the way.     It wouldn't surprise me if Hurns had one of the best NFL rookie WR seasons in this year's crop.
Quote: While you raise a great question,  my gut feeling is along the lines of what FBT expressed below.   Allen Hurns seems to have the ' it' factor.   Of course there will be obstacles along the way when he's facing complex talented Defenses that have scouted the Jaguars extensively.  Yet,  as Hurns gains experience,  he seems to have the makeup,  instincts,  and enough physical ability to be effective over the long haul.     Even as Hurns goes through some growing pains,   I think he will have his share of success along the way.     It wouldn't surprise me if Hurns had one of the best NFL rookie WR seasons in this year's crop.
We could sure use that around these parts.  What a nice feather in Caldwell's cap that would be!
Quote:We could sure use that around these parts.  What a nice feather in Caldwell's cap that would be!

One of the key reasons for the Seattle Seahawks success in recent years is the amount of late round picks and UDRFA's that have been productive and effective for them.   Allen Hurns looks like someone that will fit that mold for the Jaguars,   Even with the University of Miami connection to the Offensive Coordinator,  Hurns indeed looks like a tremendous addition by Dave Caldwell. 
Just imagine if Hurns would have had a real QB at Miami

Quote:Just imagine if Hurns would have had a real QB at Miami
He'll have one here....eventually.