Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A trade too far ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not surprisingly there is a lot of talk about trades at the moment... And various possible trades have been suggested.

But where would you draw the line ?

I would absolutely draw the line at first, second or third round draft picks - they are crucial to the growth of this franchise. And to be honest I don't think we have enough trade-worthy players to risk letting one go. (Except maybe at running back)

So maybe we don't have the flexibility needed.

Feel free to disagree in an angry and outraged way...
Impossible to know where to draw the line under this question.

Are we talking about acquiring a veteran player or trading away one?

Are we talking a swap of picks?

Which players at what positions?

I'm thinking for any player realistically likely to come up for trade.

I don't think we should give up a 1,2 or 3 pick for anyone (if we are going to continue building through the draft) and don't think we have the depth outside the RB position to have a player to tempt another team.

I know that's a wide ranging question though.
Quote:I'm thinking for any player realistically likely to come up for trade.

I don't think we should give up a 1,2 or 3 pick for anyone (if we are going to continue building through the draft) and don't think we have the depth outside the RB position to have a player to tempt another team.

I know that's a wide ranging question though.

Not sure if you can say we are doing a complete build through the draft given the free agent signings we have made and attempted.  Arguments can be made either way...but that's besides the point.

I can't say I wouldn't give up a 1st through 3rd round pick for anyone, because I don't know who would be available.  If Seattle suddenly felt insanely generous and offered us Earl Thomas for a 3rd round pick, I'd jump all over it (for that matter, I'd do it for a 1 but more reluctantly).

So my answer to your admittedly broad question is ....it depends.  Big Grin
I wouldn't trade for anyone. If I did it would be trading one of our guys for extra picks. Picks are to valuable.

It depends on who that player might be, what value there is in trading picks, and how much of an impact that player would have on the overall success of this franchise. 

That being said, I don't see any player I'd be willing to trade away a 1st or 2nd round pick for.  It wouldn't be worth what we'd potentially be giving up with those picks. 

Where is the information about possible trades? Or are we talking about here on the board? Or legitimate talks? I haven't seen anything about possible trade interests anywhere with us.

GO JAGS!!

Quote:Where is the information about possible trades? Or are we talking about here on the board? Or legitimate talks? I haven't seen anything about possible trade interests anywhere with us.

GO JAGS!!
I'm under the impression this is just hypothetical stuff we're talking about here, not an actual trade situation. 
Quote:I'm under the impression this is just hypothetical stuff we're talking about here, not an actual trade situation.

Correct

It was just to see if there was a line you would draw in the sand. For any player.
Depends on the player.

Some players I would not trade for under any circumstances (Gabbert).

Some players I would not trade away under any circumstances (at this point, that would be Bortles).

Some players I might trade for/away depending on the compensation.

Quote:I wouldn't trade for anyone. If I did it would be trading one of our guys for extra picks. Picks are to valuable.
I to think the Jags should send to picks two another team for a good player. 
Quote:I'm under the impression this is just hypothetical stuff we're talking about here, not an actual trade situation. 
Ah, ok. I figured that was the case. I just thought I was missing something lol. I agree with everybody saying no trading picks. We're not deep enough to give those up yet. That would also mean we aren't deep enough to trade players either. However, if someone became available that could fill a spot of need and only required a 4th or lower (3rd in an extreme case); it could be worth discussion. But I still don't know if I'd go through with it. Personally, I think we're in good shape and by the next draft and FA, we should be deep enough to compete completely in our division.

GO JAGS!!
Ok. Well do you think it better to trade a pick for a player or a player for a pick?  I know it depends on the pick and player, but say something like the trade that the Pats and Bucs made.  Would you trade a 4th round pick and a back up TE for a 9 year OG that is a starter and pro bowler?

Would you try to get picks?

Would you stand pat?
I tend to think that the Pats just fleeced the Bucs, especially if Tim Wright settles into the Hernandez role. That's the type of trade I'd be completely opposed to.

Now, if the Seahawks got stupid and asked if we'd like to take Earl Thomas off their hands for a second-round pick, I'd be interested. If the 49ers called because they wanted a third-round pick for Alex Boone, I'd tell them to keep on looking. Hey, if the Rams offered us Robert Quinn and Scott Wells for a first-round pick, I just might say go for it. There's no hard and fast line, imo, because every player in the NFL has a different value attached to them. Saying you'd never trade away a first-round pick under any circumstances is just as silly as saying that you'd never trade Poz no matter what was offered.

I could see giving up a fourth for a veteran solid center familiar with ZBS, if there was one.  But, there's not, so...  I'm not clamoring for any trades right now.

Injuries could change that, and when the deadline approaches we may indeed be looking to trade for, or trade away a player. Right now, I don't see it unless it involves a viable plug and play guy at center. 

If we can trade a 4th round pick for a 2nd tier - starting quality Center I'd do it without thinking twice at this point. His age has to be right though. It's a shame we couldn't Alex Mack this off-season. We certainly need to get that position figured out fast though. I didn't read the details regaring the Pat's and Buc's trade today for Mankins. Does anybody know off the top of their head what the Buc's gave up to get him on their roster? I am walking out of the office.

I'd definitely give up a 3rd round pick for JJ Watt.   He'd be a good fit here.

Bucs gave up a fourth-round pick and backup TE Tim Wright.

Quote:I'd definitely give up a 3rd round pick for JJ Watt.   He'd be a good fit here.
I'd give up a first-round pick, Tyson Alualu, Red Bryant, a pint of blood and two dozen Boar's Head ham sandwiches for J.J. Watt.
Quote:Ah, ok. I figured that was the case. I just thought I was missing something lol. I agree with everybody saying no trading picks. We're not deep enough to give those up yet. That would also mean we aren't deep enough to trade players either. However, if someone became available that could fill a spot of need and only required a 4th or lower (3rd in an extreme case); it could be worth discussion. But I still don't know if I'd go through with it. Personally, I think we're in good shape and by the next draft and FA, we should be deep enough to compete completely in our division.

GO JAGS!!
I'd be reluctant to even give up a 3rd.  It would have to be a pretty significant opportunity. 
Pages: 1 2