Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: just watching sports center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i was watching sportscenter and two analyst, don't now there names, said Teddy bridgewater has looked the best among rookie quarterbacks. they should literally lose their jobs for such a terrible analysis. teddy had one moderately ok game and now apparently he's the best?

Quote:i was watching sportscenter and two analyst, don't now there names, said Teddy bridgewater has looked the best among rookie quarterbacks. they should literally lose their jobs for such a terrible analysis. teddy had one moderately ok game and now apparently he's the best?

Who cares? Let me guess, you.
I'd say to the OP that that would be just as big of an insult to Garoppolo & Mettenberger as it would be to Bortles. They've arguably played better than him. 

Quote:i was watching sportscenter and two analyst, don't now there names, said Teddy bridgewater has looked the best among rookie quarterbacks. they should literally lose their jobs for such a terrible analysis. teddy had one moderately ok game and now apparently he's the best?
he has 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

Stats tell the story for some.
Quote:I'd say to the OP that that would be just as big of an insult to Garoppolo & Mettenberger as it would be to Bortles. They've arguably played better than him. 
i can agree to that as well.
Quote:he has 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

Stats tell the story for some.

Well....TD's are kinda the main point to football. :wacko: 

I am very impressed with the job Bortles has done so far....but lets be honest....1 TD drive. The rest stalled with FG's or resulted in punts. Not sure how you can disparage a QB for "only throwing TD's"....lol. What is this the Cris Carter critique???  Laughing 
Quote:Well....TD's are kinda the main point to football. :wacko:

I am very impressed with the job Bortles has done so far....but lets be honest....1 TD drive. The rest stalled with FG's or resulted in punts. Not sure how you can disparage a QB for "only throwing TD's"....lol. What is this the Cris Carter critique???   Laughing
Uh.... TDs against 3's in preseason don't count for much.

Second... the eye test showed Teddy struggle mightily before coming on better later in the preseason.

My critique however, wasn't of Teddy, it was of the news reports. Talking heads see 4 TDs and 0 INTs and it's easy to announce them as "the best" rookie, when the rest don't have those stats.

Bortles has had some drops from receivers that could have had drives continue. 

I haven't watched much of the other rooks but I know of the "Big 3" Bortles has looked better than Manziel and Teddy. I'd argue that Teddy probably has a better Oline though.

Either way... I'M not worried about what they say on ESPN and NFLN. When Bortles is finally under center there won't be much they'll be able to deny the kid. He's good and it doesn't matter if Teddy has looked better, is deemed better, or is actually better. All that matters is that Bortles develops, grows, matures, leads, and wins, here.
the other problem with just looking at stats is that for Teddy, I think at least two of those TD drives began inside the 10 yard line thanks to turnovers.  short fields can be nice.

I think most hardcore sports fans have come to the conclusion that the ESPN's of the world aren't the most credible sources if you're looking for factual, competent, up to date information, so with that being said; Why give their opinion's and clout? We don't need ESPN's blessing to confirm what's going on in Jacksonville, just be confident and secure enough to know this is a team on the rise, with a QB that should keep us relevant for many years.

Quote:the other problem with just looking at stats is that for Teddy, I think at least two of those TD drives began inside the 10 yard line thanks to turnovers.  short fields can be nice.

No doubt. 

I am looking forward to Bortles getting some of those sort of opportunities....and when he does, he needs to capitalize. The difference between the great QB and the lesser ones is the great ones will almost always turn those situations into TD's and not have to settle for FG's. I remember Leftwich far too often having to settle for FG's in red zone chances. Great QB lead to paydirt. 

I hope Bortles is more efficient regarding TD's in red zone opportunities than previous QB. 

Quote:Uh.... TDs against 3's in preseason don't count for much.

Second... the eye test showed Teddy struggle mightily before coming on better later in the preseason.

My critique however, wasn't of Teddy, it was of the news reports. Talking heads see 4 TDs and 0 INTs and it's easy to announce them as "the best" rookie, when the rest don't have those stats.

Bortles has had some drops from receivers that could have had drives continue. 

I haven't watched much of the other rooks but I know of the "Big 3" Bortles has looked better than Manziel and Teddy. I'd argue that Teddy probably has a better Oline though.

Either way... I'M not worried about what they say on ESPN and NFLN. When Bortles is finally under center there won't be much they'll be able to deny the kid. He's good and it doesn't matter if Teddy has looked better, is deemed better, or is actually better. All that matters is that Bortles develops, grows, matures, leads, and wins, here.
this is basically what i'm saying. you see 4td and they say, oh he's the best. that what people who don't actually watch most of the games should say. this is their livelihood, they should know that he is not the best. i may not watch every game, but i know what the big 3 are doing also. but whatever i guess, they'll learn soon enough i guess.  
Quote:this is basically what i'm saying. you see 4td and they say, oh he's the best. that what people who don't actually watch most of the games should say. this is their livelihood, they should know that he is not the best. i may not watch every game, but i know what the big 3 are doing also. but whatever i guess, they'll learn soon enough i guess.  

Yeah, its preseason anyway, so it really don't matter whats being said by the talking heads at the moment. 

How Bortles (and the other QB's) performs on the big stage in real games is the only thing that matters. 

If Bortles is throwing 3 TD per game in the regular season there will be nothing to hide it. 

Welcome to Duval, I guess lol

"They should lose their jobs." But you don't know who they are?

Then why do you care? I don't think we're the only fans who know their team better than some (unknown) national talking heads.
I like what Bortles has shown YPA/Accuracy/pocket presence better than Bridgewater but you sure can't count out those 4 TDs. They have both had a steller preseason and I really wouldn't put one ahead of the other.

Garoppolo & Mettenberger just a tad behind them. I think this speaks volumes to the mistake that Cleveland made passing on bridgewater.

Lots more than stats to the analysis.  What do you see?  BTW, the talking heads' opinions mean nothing.  Be happy we have a QB who overwhelmingly passes the eye test and looks great in the pocket.  That's all that matters.

I stopped at "sports center"  

I can just assume where the story goes from there.  ESPN blows.

This might just be a biased impression, but the only reason it seems to me that Bortles has failed to get more touchdowns have been due to massive failures around him.

The Detroit game 2 minute drive he went for the fake spike and threw to the endzone and the failings of the referees stopped the possibility for a score there.

In the previous two games every time the team got into the redzone with him in the game the coaches would call 3 consecutive running plays or there would be penalties committed by those around him to push the team out of a possible TD.

Bridgewater has been very unimpressive. He looks like a slightly refined Gabbert. Lots of short passes, gets badly rattled by pressure, and has all of his success against scrubs in the preseason.

Don't worry about Sportscenter. Most of their experts are dumb.
Quote: 

In the previous two games every time the team got into the redzone with him in the game the coaches would call 3 consecutive running plays or there would be penalties committed by those around him to push the team out of a possible TD.

That could be a good point. 

If you are trying to develop a QB its better to get him the TD pass through the air and build confidence. I don't want a QB that gets conditioned to having the ball run all the time once in the red zone. The only way to build skill/ confidence for the TD pass in the red zone is to be aggressive and pass for the TD in the red zone. Thats how Peyton Manning was developed. Pass. Pass. Pass. 

Pages: 1 2 3