Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles looks like the second coming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I could say he looks like a mix between Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and Ben Roethlisberger with a Tom Brady "it" and clutch factor and I wouldn't embellishing. That's crazy. Go look at some of Favre and Marino's old highlights, it's uncanny how similar Bortles looks to them in a Big Ben-type body. I wonder where this gunslinger mentality was at UCF? lol.

Lucks body, Big Ben toughness, Favre arm maybe

Quote:Lucks body, Big Ben toughness, Favre arm maybe
Wow I hope you are right. If so Jag Nation deserves it!
Quote:I could say he looks like a mix between Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and Ben Roethlisberger with a Tom Brady "it" and clutch factor and I wouldn't embellishing. That's crazy. Go look at some of Favre and Marino's old highlights, it's uncanny how similar Bortles looks to them in a Big Ben-type body. I wonder where this gunslinger mentality was at UCF? lol.
no QB coach and maybe they just didnt realize the potential he had? sometimes coaching can really hinder a player.
I love the optimism.... But it's been 3 preseason games
I'm thinking more Marino toughness and boot leg ability, Favre gunslinger mentality and arm, Roethlisberger body, Tom Brady clutch factor. 6 comeback wins last season at UCF, same as Brady at Michigan. 

Quote:I love the optimism.... But it's been 3 preseason games
Agreed. It sure is nice to have nice feelings about our QB though.
I'm just saying what he's looked liked through those games. Go back and look at Marino and Favre play. The way Bortles plays reminds me of them a lot. The bootlegs, throws across the body, looking to push the ball down the field 10+ yards every play yet having the presence of mind to know when not to most of the time, his pocket presence, the daring plays he takes, his fearlessness and competitive streak. It's uncanny. People keep comparing him to Roethlisberger because of his mobility for his size, but I've always just had an inch in my mind that he was less like Roethlisberger past the size and mobility and more like someone else. Finally realize that it's Marino and Favre he keeps reminding me of.
Bortles GOAT
I've been pleasantly surprised by his arm strength, but I don't think it is quite Favre territory. Also his release isn't as quick as Marino's, but then again nobody's is. I think the Big Ben comparison is the best, with a little Aaron Rodgers in his game as well. Here's to hoping he is clutch like Brady!
Quote:no QB coach and maybe they just didnt realize the potential he had? sometimes coaching can really hinder a player.

Well I'd say UCF definitely realized his potential since they were one of the only schools that drafted him as a QB and not a TE
Quote:Well I'd say UCF definitely realized his potential since they were one of the only schools that drafted him as a QB and not a TE
I didn't mean that they didn't think he had potential.. just that they didn't have the staff/talent to get him anywhere near his ceiling.
Quote:I've been pleasantly surprised by his arm strength, but I don't think it is quite Favre territory. Also his release isn't as quick as Marino's, but then again nobody's is. I think the Big Ben comparison is the best, with a little Aaron Rodgers in his game as well. Here's to hoping he is clutch like Brady!
No not even close on Favre. I have seen him live a couple of times. Wow....did he have a cannon!

This. ^^^

I 'm plenty happy with Bortles....but lets not get ridiculous here. 

A lot of hyperbole for someone who's only thrown 1 TD pass in 45 attempts. 

I think some of us are being prisoners of the moment here and also lacking some perspective....

Jimmy Garoppolo and Zach Mettenberger are also 2 rookies this year and are arguably having Better preseasons than Bortles. 

Lets just take a deep breath, be happy with what we've got by all means, but lets try to gain some perspective here. 
Quote:I didn't mean that they didn't think he had potential.. just that they didn't have the staff/talent to get him anywhere near his ceiling.

Hmm true. Bortles never really had a true QB coach in college. Imagine where he would be if he did
Quote:Wow I hope you are right. If so Jag Nation deserves it!

THis I'll agree with 100%. 

We've suffered through quite a stretch of mediocre/ bad football for 15 years now. And even more lousy QB play....
Quote:This. ^^^

I think some of us are being prisoners of the moment here and also lacking some perspective....

Jimmy Garoppolo and Zach Mettenberger are also 2 rookies this year and are arguably having Better preseasons than Bortles. 

Lets just take a deep breath, be happy with what we've got by all means, but lets try to gain some perspective here. 
Garoppolo and Mettenberger have better STATS, but eye test goes to Bortles all the way. He's making the toughest NFL passes look easy.
Quote:This. ^^^

Granted Mattenberger has been really good Bortles has less Int's and more throws of 20+ (9) then him. Garrapollo on the other hand has been nearly perfect although less deep throws.

Quote:Hmm true. Bortles never really had a true QB coach in college. Imagine where he would be if he did
Yep that's what I think we are seeing now.
Quote:Garoppolo and Mettenberger have better STATS, but eye test goes to Bortles all the way. He's making the toughest NFL passes look easy.

Have you actually caught any of the other 2 this preseason???

Garoppolo made a TD pass that was fantastic for anyone, let alone a rookie. He threaded the needle in the middle of the end zone and was throwing to a spot, not a wide open WR that was standing there. He literally threw the guy open when it appeared nothing was there. And thats just a single highlight. Theres plenty more for him so far. 

Mettenberger was lights out the other night when he got extended playing time due to injury of another QB as well. 

Alot of "Soon to be" Blake Bortles stans coming up... Definitely going to be part of the crowd. GOAT
Pages: 1 2