Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles our Future QB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going to add this to a post but what the heck I will start one for a change. First thing I want to say is I was very upset when we picked Bortles. I wanted JF or Bridgewater. OK now I have come clean

Johnny Football because of his scrambling ability and that's what we needed with this awful offensive line we have now. I figured when he was getting sacked he could scramble out and make a play. Well seen him 3 times and the NFL is to fast for that even with reserves.

Bridgewater is a pocket passer that is real accurate on short throws. He is not the best scrambling QB though so where do we go from here.

I figured Mack or Watkins would be safe picks and would have been happy with any of the 4 above

HERE COMES BORTLES

I am hearing wobbly passes and interceptions in practice and mainly negative talk in camp.Finally no more talk its game day.

Bortles holds the ball perfectly on roll outs like up high and always looking down field.

Bortles scrambles with the best of them

Bortles passes are tight spiral bombs that are perfectly thrown 70% of the time.

Borthles knows how to step up in the pocket when a rush is coming..................WOW Gabberd@#?$!

To say I am happy is a understatement. WE HAVE A QB!!!!!

You know, I don't mind new threads. I love talking about Jags and for whatever reason, new threads don't bother me. I have a thought, though. With all the talk about Bortles looking mediocre in practice, could this be why he isn't "ready?" Gus preaches that he wants his players to treat practice like a real game. I agree, bring it I'm practice. Every damn practice. If you elevate it on game day, then you're playing at a high level
Quote:You know, I don't mind new threads. I love talking about Jags and for whatever reason, new threads don't bother me. I have a thought, though. With all the talk about Bortles looking mediocre in practice, could this be why he isn't "ready?" Gus preaches that he wants his players to treat practice like a real game. I agree, bring it I'm practice. Every damn practice. If you elevate it on game day, then you're playing at a high level
I think this is certainly a component of why he isn't starting.
Hey, I'm excited about Bortles, too... But, let's not go overboard. The dude doesn't exactly throw a tightly wound spiral, even 70% of the time. That said, he throws an unbelievably accurate semi-wobbly pass with a lot of zip. The future is bright in Jax...finally.

Quote:Hey, I'm excited about Bortles, too... But, let's not go overboard. The dude doesn't exactly throw a tightly wound spiral, even 70% of the time. That said, he throws an unbelievably accurate semi-wobbly pass with a lot of zip. The future is bright in Jax...finally.

The passes in the games sure look pretty tight to me; I can't remember one I would say that was an obvious duck.  Maybe in the practices he's taking a little bit off of the throws because he's thinking more and in the games he's just reacting.  I dunno, but I saw the interview where he said he's trying just as hard whether it's practice or live.
Quote: 

Johnny Football because of his scrambling ability and that's what we needed with this awful offensive line we have now. I figured when he was getting sacked he could scramble out and make a play. Well seen him 3 times and the NFL is to fast for that even with reserves.

I never understood why people said this.  Were we drafting a QB for the next decade or the next game?   Was our offensive line supposed to be bad forever?   The solution to a bad offensive line is to draft a scrambling QB???   That's just idiotic. 
It's just a matter of time before Manziel gets killed on one of his little scrambles. They'll have to soak him up with a paper towel to get him off the field. Then sometime the following year there will be a 30 for 30 episode about 'Remember Johnny Football?'
Quote:You know, I don't mind new threads. I love talking about Jags and for whatever reason, new threads don't bother me. I have a thought, though. With all the talk about Bortles looking mediocre in practice, could this be why he isn't "ready?" Gus preaches that he wants his players to treat practice like a real game. I agree, bring it I'm practice. Every damn practice. If you elevate it on game day, then you're playing at a high level

This would make sense had we not gone through last offseason where Henne was such a bad practice player that he got beat out by Gabbert.
Quote:Hey, I'm excited about Bortles, too... But, let's not go overboard. The dude doesn't exactly throw a tightly wound spiral, even 70% of the time. That said, he throws an unbelievably accurate semi-wobbly pass with a lot of zip. The future is bright in Jax...finally.
You literally just described Peyton Manning with those two sentences.

The "spiral" is overrated. It helps receivers with bad hands catch the ball and adds nothing else.
Quote:The passes in the games sure look pretty tight to me; I can't remember one I would say that was an obvious duck. Maybe in the practices he's taking a little bit off of the throws because he's thinking more and in the games he's just reacting. I dunno, but I saw the interview where he said he's trying just as hard whether it's practice or live.

It's a footwork thing. That'll get better as the new footwork becomes more and more natural.
Quote:You literally just described Peyton Manning with those two sentences.

The "spiral" is overrated. It helps receivers with bad hands catch the ball and adds nothing else.

This.

I'm not even remotely concerned about wobbly passes. I'd rather have a wobbly accurate pass than a right spiral thrown to the wrong jersey.

I disagree.   A spiral cuts through air a lot better than a wobble.   In a windy game, a wobbly pass loses all its zip.   In addition, I think you throw a more consistent pass if you throw a nice spiral.   I don't think you can throw accurately consistently if the ball wobbles. 
Bortles accuracy looks good enough to me...consistently too

Quote:I was going to add this to a post but what the heck I will start one for a change. First thing I want to say is I was very upset when we picked Bortles. I wanted JF or Bridgewater. OK now I have come clean

Bridgewater is a pocket passer that is real accurate on short throws. He is not the best scrambling QB though so where do we go from here.

I figured Mack or Watkins would be safe picks and would have been happy with any of the 4 above

HERE COMES BORTLES

I am hearing wobbly passes and interceptions in practice and mainly negative talk in camp.Finally no more talk its game day.

Bortles holds the ball perfectly on roll outs like up high and always looking down field.

Bortles scrambles with the best of them

Bortles passes are tight spiral bombs that are perfectly thrown 70% of the time.

Borthles knows how to step up in the pocket when a rush is coming..................WOW Gabberd@#?$!

To say I am happy is a understatement. WE HAVE A QB!!!!!

Great post. Before the draft I got caught up in the Manziel hope a little and was leaning on us, going defense first offense second. I knew somewhat about Bortles, but didn't think he'd be drafted by the Jaguars. Glad Dave Caldwell knew where he'd fit in best. Bortles was our best pick of the night in a lottary draft. Yes, the Jacksonville Jaguars do have QB and his name is Blake Bortles. Already, thinking about how great the Jaguars will be ten years from now. We'll look back at the day Khan became owner and how he turned Jacksonville into a football town.

The spiral is also aesthetically pleasing to the naked eye, and when caught on camera up close and personal.
I was big on Watkins and trading back up in the 1st for Bridgewater myself, i kept saying after the Blake pick how Dave was reaching for a Qb to early and needed to take the BAP. But after watching more tape and draft takes on the kid i started to like him, but nobody knew he was gonna be this good tho
Quote:I disagree.   A spiral cuts through air a lot better than a wobble.   In a windy game, a wobbly pass loses all its zip.   In addition, I think you throw a more consistent pass if you throw a nice spiral.   I don't think you can throw accurately consistently if the ball wobbles. 

Interesting about the above is......I wonder if that contributed to why Peyton generally wasn't as effective in most cold weather windy games. Peyton always had that rep of being a lousy bad weather QB. 

That said, per the short sample size, I think that Bortles throws a less wobbly football than Peyton generally did - if at least marginally. 
Dave did his research.  He didn't see a franchise QB in the 2013 draft, and maybe there wasn't one in the 2014 draft, but he had the courage to see Bortles as a guy who wasn't quite there yet but probably would be a Top 5 pick if he stayed in college another year.  He had the size, athleticism, mentality, and work ethic, but needed some fundamentals and some polish.  Since Bortles came out this year, and Dave had a Top 5 pick which he likely would not have next year, it was time to bet the farm on a franchise QB.  He essentially took Bortles a year early, because that was the only way to get him.  The plan included bringing Bortles along slowly and giving him that extra year of seasoning he might need, in a low-pressure environment where he wouldn't be expected to start right away.  Dave is building for the long haul, and that includes building the QB position the right way.  When you have a great physical candidate like Bortles, you don't want to ruin him by asking to much too soon.  Building a better team around him will have a lot to do with his early success, too.  It's no good for the long haul if you have a great QB prospect but ruin his confidence or get him chronically injured. 

Quote:I disagree.   A spiral cuts through air a lot better than a wobble.   In a windy game, a wobbly pass loses all its zip.   In addition, I think you throw a more consistent pass if you throw a nice spiral.   I don't think you can throw accurately consistently if the ball wobbles. 
Actually, I can agree with it being useful in windy games. However, I do believe the "perfect spiral" is a trait that is definitely vastly overrated.

I don't think it's something you should look hard for in a quarterback considering how many Hall of Fame quarterbacks to this day, can't throw one consistently.
Quote:I never understood why people said this.  Were we drafting a QB for the next decade or the next game?   Was our offensive line supposed to be bad forever?   The solution to a bad offensive line is to draft a scrambling QB???   That's just idiotic. 
I would agree with you but after 10 to12 years of run block OL or no block OL I am just plain desperate. One move I do not agree with was the Monroe move. That would have been a start.