Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Any genuine surprises ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blake Bortles has impressed in preseason. Chad Henne has looked average. Our offensive line has struggled.

But are any of these things genuine surprises to us ?

Even the decision to let Bortles play with the first team around this point was something we were told to expect (although I'd have to back through the jaguars website to find it)

But I think there have been some real surprises...

Sen'Derrick Marks for instance appears to have been exceeded expectations.

What has surprised you ?
Bortles and Hurns.
Hurns has been a very nice surprise.

Quote:Bortles and Hurns.
Sounds like a brand of wine coolers
Good surprises:

Allen Hurns, Ryan Davis, Telvin Smith, LaRoy Reynolds, Winston Guy, DeAndre Coleman, Nate Stupar, and Rashaad Reynolds.

Bad surprises:

Jordan Todman, Jacques McClendon, Mike Brewster, Zane Beadles,  and J.T. Thomas.

Hurns...

McCray has played pretty well, Hurns, Henne has played better than i expected which isnt saying much.

I'll rank mine. This is both good and bad

1. Allen Hurns

Hurns has been lights out. Consistently getting open and got better every game. Not to mention he was undrafted, but leads the rankings this far for contributing rookies

2. Blake Bortles

#3 overall pick a surprise? Yes, given all the rhetoric about him not being ready, it's nice to see him come in and look like a great pick instead of "a reach"

3. Mike Brewster

I bought into the Brewster talk. His natural position will help his comfort level, he's a 3rd year guy, he's gotten stronger... I'm surprise he's been this bad

4. Marqise Lee

Not what I expected thus far, but it's early

5. Telvin Smith

I overlooked him because his team at Florida State was talented. But he's a vocal guy who makes plays. Gus Bradley kind of guy
Ryan Davis / Telvin Smith / Winston Guy are 3 young guys who will make big plays in this defense.

Good Surprise: Bortles, Marcedes Lewis has looked pretty decent out there.

Bad surprises from last night: Joeckel getting put on his rump quite a few times, he didn't look all that good last night.

Good surprises: Hurns, Thomas, Lee, Branch

Bad surprises: the entire o-line. I didn't expect them to be good, but I didn't think they would be so atrocious. Even scarier, that is just the starters. The backups are worse.

Gerhart: Looks average.  

Brewster: I never thought he'd be this bad. I don't think he makes the team.

Joekel: He gets an incomplete, but there were signs last year that made me think we botched this pick. I hope I'm wrong.
I thought Josh Evans played a very good game. 

I am surprised at how poorly Joeckel and Todman have played so far.

I am surprised at how quickly Bortles has become (what looks to be) a star QB.

I can't see how Hurns doesn't start week 1. He has been our best WR and it isn't even close.

Maybe not surprised, but disappointed that our starting DL couldn't get any pressure after the Bucs game.

Pleasantly surprised that the coverage has held up so well in spite of the lack of pressure.

Gus being able to squeeze out so much production out of the defense. I mean Andres pick was awesome and I'm sure he was gusing
Genuine surprises...

Hurns.  He outplayed Lee and Shorts, and has been a consistent performer when they have given him the chance.

Bortles.  I thought I would see much more growing pains and needed development.  He appears legit thus far and ready to play.
The fake spike.

Hurns and Bortles have been pleasant surprises.

I really thought Andre Branch was poised to take a step forward in becoming a pass rushing force but he looks like the same ol' Branch so far. Nice INT though.

Lee is a mild disappointment but it's early.

I wish this team could get a dominant o-line. I'm sick of the interior o-line being a sieve.
THOSE DB'S GETTIN A TASTE OF SOME 3RD DEGREE HURNS.

As others have said... Hurns and Bortles! 

LB depth,

Reynolds/ Smith/ Thomas/ Stupar making plays

Even a Watson sighting Friday night
Pages: 1 2