Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A flicker of hope for Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah it was only two games.

But no pick sixes.

He seemed to be more poised at times. He made some throws, like the touchdown to Koyack today, that I haven't seen him make all season. Is it possible that the off-season of being lackadaisical, combined with perhaps not being inspire by Gus, contributed to the regression?

I'm not so sure; I will say this; if I'm in that interview room with a head coach, I'm looking for a disciplinarian. Someone who will crack the whip and make Blake work. Yes, again, two games. But I saw enough to feel with the right staff, he can be salvaged.

P.S. Bring in a veteran or mid round draft pick to compete. Just in case
Nah, he's garbage. These last two games were basically the "garbage time" of the regular season, of course bortles padded his stats. Get a QB that can read a defense, throw a football, and most of all WIN football games.
He's garbage
Quote:Nah, he's garbage. These last two games were basically the "garbage time" of the regular season, of course bortles padded his stats. Get a QB that can read a defense, throw a football, and most of all WIN football games.

Find a thesaurus did we?
[Image: Candle-6.gif]

Quote:Nah, he's garbage. These last two games were basically the "garbage time" of the regular season, of course bortles padded his stats. Get a QB that can read a defense, throw a football, and most of all WIN football games.

Garbage time against a team that needed to win to get to playoffs. Sure thing.
On top of not throwing any interceptions in the two games minus Gus, Bortles also put together his best passer rating in a game this season and his 4th best passer rating as well. That has to be an indication of something. I'm more than willing to give him another season, with some added competition of course. I'm not ready to just hand the starting reigns to someone new, just yet. 

Quote:On top of not throwing any interceptions in the two games minus Gus, Bortles also put together his best passer rating in a game this season and his 4th best passer rating as well. That has to be an indication of something. I'm more than willing to give him another season, with some added competition of course. I'm not ready to just hand the starting reigns to someone new, just yet. 
I think the last two games in particular show that if you get Bortles with a coach that will push him and call good plays for him, he can do good things.

It's too soon to give up on him.
Quote:I think the last two games in particular show that if you get Bortles with a coach that will push him and call good plays for him, he can do good things.

It's too soon to give up on him.

Not to mention a semblance of a competent running game helps a lot.

These last two weeks the coaching staff made chicken salad out of chicken [BLEEP] with what they had to work with at RB and offensive line.
Quote:Not to mention a semblance of a competent running game helps a lot.

These last two weeks the coaching staff made chicken salad out of chicken [BAD WORD REMOVED] with what they had to work with at RB and offensive line.

This is a very salient point.
Quote:Not to mention a semblance of a competent running game helps a lot.

These last two weeks the coaching staff made chicken salad out of chicken [BAD WORD REMOVED] with what they had to work with at RB and offensive line.
Absolutely.

Sacks allowed dropped by 17 this year. 

Just imagine this team with upgrades at LG and RT and RB.
Quote:[Image: Candle-6.gif]

That flame is way to high.
Quote:Absolutely.

Sacks allowed dropped by 17 this year. 

Just imagine this team with upgrades at LG and RT and RB.

Not to mention if Bortles actually cleans up is mechanics so he's not holding the ball down at his hip in one hand. One of those sack/strips doesn't happen yesterday if he keeps the ball up with both hands on it like a QB should.

Either way I saw enough out of Bortles in these last two games to think that with competent coaching he can at least be good enough for the team to be successful if it's not depending on him to carry it. None of the teams in the division have a QB that can carry it to even the division title right now, and as fans I think we need to let go of the unrealistic expectation that Bortles make up for everything around him at this point in his career. I just hope we get a good coach in here that can give him a real chance to develop like QBs got once upon a time.

I'm sorry, but Blake Bortles performance these past two games has not convinced me that he has the 'right stuff' to lead the Jags to a championship. Yes, he did have more success the last two games. However, that was only two games out of sixteen! 

The fact that he (Bortles) himself has said that 'he isn't a natural passer' should tell you everything you need to know. At this level, having to work on fundamentals (like the ability to accurately pass a football that isn't wobbling and flopping through the air) shouldn't be necessary.

Bortles was drafted far too high and (at least in my opinion) not the stuff of championship caliber quarterbacks. He does have his virtues, but his weaknesses are overwhelming. We need to keep looking for a legitimate franchise quarterback for our team.

Quote:I'm sorry, but Blake Bortles performance these past two games has not convinced me that he has the 'right stuff' to lead the Jags to a championship. Yes, he did have more success the last two games. However, that was only two games out of sixteen! 

The fact that he (Bortles) himself has said that 'he isn't a natural passer' should tell you everything you need to know. At this level, having to work on fundamentals (like the ability to accurately pass a football that isn't wobbling and flopping through the air) shouldn't be necessary.

Bortles was drafted far too high and (at least in my opinion) not the stuff of championship caliber quarterbacks. He does have his virtues, but his weaknesses are overwhelming. We need to keep looking for a legitimate franchise quarterback for our team.
I'm not totally convinced he has the right stuff, but I'm not totally convinced he is a complete lost cause either.
He's got a lot of work cut out for him. That's been beaten like a dead horse around here now. He'll get his chance. I'll just wait and see what happens between the next coaching staff coming in and another free agency and draft to look at. Football will be back in Jacksonville again before you know it. 

Quote:I'm sorry, but Blake Bortles performance these past two games has not convinced me that he has the 'right stuff' to lead the Jags to a championship. Yes, he did have more success the last two games. However, that was only two games out of sixteen! 

The fact that he set franchise records with Officer Doofey as his coach and no semblence of a running and showed immediate improvement under a real coach in a matter of 2 weeks means a lot.
Quote:I'm not totally convinced he has the right stuff, but I'm not totally convinced he is a complete lost cause either.
I agree with this statement. He just doesn't leave me with the impression that he's a guy you can count on though. A solid backup... maybe, but I don't think I would bet the house that he will ever get any pro team a championship.
Quote:The fact that he set franchise records with Officer Doofey as his coach and no semblence of a running and showed immediate improvement under a real coach in a matter of 2 weeks means a lot.
Yes, but consider what his performance the past two weeks really mean; to suggest that Gus Bradley had Bortles so 'hamstrung' that he couldn't even pass the football very well is a very far reach of reason. This is not the performance you expect from an adult, much less a professional sportsman. If that is so, then how to explain the sudden apparent turn around in his performance?

One possible answer is that he (Bortles) was intentionally not trying to be successful in order to get Bradley fired. This may be possible, but it's also a reach. Another more plausible reason is that Bortles realized that with Gus getting fired that his position was also in question and he got motivated to start putting forth the effort to at least try to look good. And he did look better for those two games, but taken as a whole (including last season and the circumstances by which he was gaining the kind of stats he did) Bortles just doesn't look that good. I don't think he is a lost cause as a quarterback, but he certainly doesn't impress me as worthy of the 'franchise quarterback' tag here.
Quote:Yes, but consider what his performance the past two weeks really mean; to suggest that Gus Bradley had Bortles so 'hamstrung' that he couldn't even pass the football very well is a very far reach of reason. This is not the performance you expect from an adult, much less a professional sportsman. If that is so, then how to explain the sudden apparent turn around in his performance?

One possible answer is that he (Bortles) was intentionally not trying to be successful in order to get Bradley fired. This may be possible, but it's also a reach. Another more plausible reason is that Bortles realized that with Gus getting fired that his position was also in question and he got motivated to start putting forth the effort to at least try to look good. And he did look better for those two games, but taken as a whole (including last season and the circumstances by which he was gaining the kind of stats he did) Bortles just doesn't look that good. I don't think he is a lost cause as a quarterback, but he certainly doesn't impress me as worthy of the 'franchise quarterback' tag here.

Bortles was saddled with saving Gus. The whole team played tight all year for that reason.