Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: TE Depth Chart Uncertainty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Obviously Lewis is "the guy," but how will it shake out on the depth chart?  Harbor may or may not be ready for week one. Barden is stating his case. Jensen is green and a PS candidate.  Will they sign someone after cuts - just like they did Harbor?  

(for those not aware - Harbor came on in late August 2013 and re-signed through 2015 to a very reasonable contract back in March of this year)

ESPN article on the topic:

Quote:Clay Harbor, who caught 24 passes for 292 yards and two touchdowns last season, has been out with a calf injury since July 28, and when he will return to practice is unclear. There is hope that he will return for the Sept. 7 season opener. 

"It’s doing a lot better," said Harbor, who suffered a partial tear of his calf muscle. "I’m working toward hopefully Philadelphia game Week 1. That’s what the plan is, and if everything keeps going well then that’s what I’m going to try to do, get ready for that week and try my best to play." 

Harbor is the only other tight end on the roster that has caught a pass in an NFL game, leaving the Jaguars with undrafted rookies Marcel Jensen and D.J. Tialavea and second-year player Branden Barden, who played in three games with Tennessee in 2010. 

Barden and Jensen are essentially fighting to be the third tight end because the Jaguars will only keep three on the 53-man roster. The one that doesn’t make it is likely headed for the practice squad, and right now that looks to be Jensen. Tialavea appears to be the odd man out. 

"I think Barden is having a real nice camp," offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said. "It’s fun to see him compete. He’s smart, has good experience and is catching the ball actually really well this camp."

Isn't Jermichael Finley still roaming around? At this point he might just take a cheap one year prove-it deal.

Quote:Isn't Jermichael Finley still roaming around? At this point he might just take a cheap one year prove-it deal.

The Green Bay doctors won't give him medical clearance and they sure could use him. That's why he's having a hard time finding suitors. No team wants to take on the liability risk of Finley getting injured again with a potentially life threatening injury.
Rayn O'Halloran had Lewis, Harbor, and Tialavela as the TEs likely to make his latest 53 man roster prediction.....for what it's worth.  I think the 3rd TE is up for grabs still.

Quote:Rayn O'Halloran had Lewis, Harbor, and Tialavela as the TEs likely to make his latest 53 man roster prediction.....for what it's worth.  I think the 3rd TE is up for grabs still.
Yes,  I agree that the 3rd TE spot seems up for grabs, and I wonder if a late addition / waiver wire claim doesn't supplant Tialevea or Barden there. 

Perhaps one of those guys will show the coaches something tomorrow in Detroit. 
Barden is essentially learning a new position at TE right? He's been a WR throughout his career if I'm not mistaken.
1. Lewis

2-4. Three cuts from other teams.

Quote:Barden is essentially learning a new position at TE right? He's been a WR throughout his career if I'm not mistaken.
You're thinking of Ramses Barden.

This guy played TE at Vandy and was signed to our PS last year after the tacks cut him. 

Quote:Barden completed his Vanderbilt career ranked among the all-time leading receivers from the tight end position... Finished career with 107 receptions and 1,234 receiving yards, trailing only former All-America Allama Matthews among Vanderbilt tight ends... As a senior, posted 16 receptions, good for 243 yards and one TD... Played in 11 of 13 games, earning 10 starts at tight end...

Quote:You're thinking of Ramses Barden.

This guy played TE at Vandy and was signed to our PS last year after the tacks cut him.

So we have two Barden's?
Quote:So we have two Barden's?
Yep.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html
With Lewis, we may likely be seeing him helping to block on the line a lot. It's most definitely a position that we don't get to use like a lot of the rest of the league does, unfortunately.
Quote:With Lewis, we may likely be seeing him helping to block on the line a lot. It's most definitely a position that we don't get to use like a lot of the rest of the league does, unfortunately.
I don't think he will be blocking as often this season.  He'll still have to do it more than a typical TE, but I think they'll use him in the passing game more than last year.  Fisch has said he would a few times during the off-season. 
Dolphins are waiving Michael egnew according to schefters Facebook.
Quote:Dolphins are waiving Michael egnew according to schefters Facebook.

I wouldn't mind taking a late pre-season flier on him.
We really need help from the TE position this year... Butterfingers Lewis needs to step his game up or we're drafting a TE next year to go along with a much needed center. :yes:

Quote:Dolphins are waiving Michael egnew according to schefters Facebook.

Yes, they are. But he's pretty terrible.
Quote:We really need help from the TE position this year... Butterfingers Lewis needs to step his game up or we're drafting a TE next year to go along with a much needed center. :yes:
Lewis dropped 3 balls last season on 47 targets.  He's improved in that area.  Not a concern.

They'll draft a TE next year regardless of how well he plays. He's too expensive thanks to JeansMiff. 
Quote:Yes, they are. But he's pretty terrible.

I was just saying. I literally have no idea why or how he's performed.
Quote:Lewis dropped 3 balls last season on 47 targets.  He's improved in that area.  Not a concern.

They'll draft a TE next year regardless of how well he plays. He's too expensive thanks to JeansMiff. 
He only caught 25 balls. Targets don't get you 1st downs.... you are irrelevant.
Quote:He only caught 25 balls. Targets don't get you 1st downs.... you are irrelevant.
LOL. OK, wise guy. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

He caught 25 balls and dropped 3. The rest (that's 19 passes) were well-defended or bad throws.  His average reception was 14.4 yards, so yeah, many of his catches were indeed first downs, genius.
Pages: 1 2