Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Preseason Prep Conundrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In light of the preparation discussion in the Bortles thread, I though I'd throw this at you guys to see what you think?

How do you think the Jaguars should approach the final preseason game?

Now as a general rule, everyone seems to hate the final preseason game. 

Starters generally don't play very much.  It's usually a bunch of fringe guys, whether bottom of the roster vets or rookies that are running around, playing sloppy football, in the attempt to continue their NFL dreams/stay employed.  Often times, especially in the second half, teams are intent on running out the clock to get the darn thing over with.  Most years, I would be most comfortable with that approach.

My only reason from possibly deviating from this approach is the OL.  Here were are, two weeks from Sunday away from opening the season at Philadelphia, and we don't know who the starting C is going to be, possibly not the RG, and we are using a backup (albeit an experienced one) at RT.

The first three of our preseason opponents thus far run 4-3 defenses.

The last of our preseason opponents-and more importantly the first 7-8 regular season opponents-run odd fronts or 3-4 defenses.  Those schemes have the reputation of being more difficult to block because of the different blitz opportunities the front presents for even experienced OLs.  

We are basically going with an entirely new OL, and they are going to have to get on the same page regarding blitz pickups, etc.  It seems tempting to me, given the heavy emphasis on the 3-4 in our schedule overall and the early part of the schedule in particular, to at least give the starting OL more playing time in the 4th preseason game.  I think given the instability along the OL, to say nothing of the chance to have Bortles get looks against those fronts, more reps by the starters against Atlanta may provide better results in the early part of the season.

But do we put the safety of the starters-or Bortles-at increased risk of injury in a meaningless preseason game?  Or do we go with the more traditional approach, sacrifice reps and continuity and risk Henne getting hurt in the early part of the season for preparation to face a basic front that likely will not present the exotic blitzes the offense may see in the regular season?

If you would give the starting OL more reps against Atlanta, how much longer would you keep them in? 

If not, why not?

Personally, I think the offensive line decisions will be made this week.  I wouldn't leave the starters in there any longer than absolutely necessary for fear of injury.  They're not going to get enough reps in the final preseason game for it to help them gel and come out in mid-season form.  Final preseason games are almost always sloppy, played by guys on the fringe of the roster.  Too much at risk. 

If I were still unsure of C/RG after week three, then I'd give the starting line two series vs. ATL.  (I think they'll know after tomorrow night's game, though)

I'd let Bortles play the whole first half with the twos and sit Henne vs ATL.  Unless Bortles plays so well against Det that they have to really consider making the switch. 

I'd rest the vast majority of the ones in general in week 4.  Save for a position battle or two that the coaches may want to see more from. 

Atlanta isn't going to play their good players for long. The line isn't going to gain a lot by going against a bunch of scrubs so what's the point?