Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Toby Gerhart the next Riggo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I watch Toby Gerhart I cant help but be reminded of a legend running back John Riggins "Riggo".  They were both 6'0",  the same weight 230lbs, and they both spent the first 4 years on the team that drafted them only to go to another team via free agency, (Riggo was the starter for the Jets though prior to going to Washington).  They both play almost like a full back at the halfback position getting yards after contact, and Riggo was famous for even dragging players into the endzone with him.  While Toby isnt as good as Riggo (at least not yet), he does remind me of him in many ways.

What do you think?

Let's just go ahead and also compare to his to Larry Csonka and Mike Alstott too. Peyton Hillis maybe.

Riggins was extremely fast.
I thought Riggos 40 yard time was 4.6 compared to Toby's 4.53?

I am confused about John Riggins true height I've seen a few places showing him as 6'2" instead of 6'0" not that it matters that much.

Hmm in this link showed his low (Toby Gerhart)'s 40 yard dash as 4.47  http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...&genpos=RB
Quote:Let's just go ahead and also compare to his to Larry Csonka and Mike Alstott too. Peyton Hillis maybe.
He's Racist. No mention of Natrone Means.
Quote:He's Racist. No mention of Natrone Means.
Or Kevin Mack (Browns) he was 6'0" 224 lbs, and ran a lot after contact...  Mack Truck

Quote:Let's just go ahead and also compare to his to Larry Csonka and Mike Alstott too. Peyton Hillis maybe.
There's a trend there, but I'm not quite sure I can put a finger on what it is exactly.  Wink
Quote:He's Racist. No mention of Natrone Means.
Natrone Means business.  If we get the kind of entertaining runs from Gerhart that we saw from Means when he finally got rolling, I'll be happy. 
It does make you wonder if Toby wouldnt be more suited as a Fullback role, but used to run more than most FBs in the league?  Which would make sense if the team had a fast small HB but Toddman doesnt impress much, D-Rob all those dropped passes and fumbles from last year has me worried & Storm Johnson could step up possibly....

Naa.... I'm still going with Toby as being the next Riggo... I think this Friday he'll even show us something special against the Lions.

The NFL was different back when Riggins played. Heck they had summer jobs. Athletes are very much stronger,faster now.

But football was the best back then. You could take their head off and this is the reason I like defense of the past. Seattle did play some retro defense last year :yes:

I guess I'm very old school in train of thought of football.  Run the ball, pound it out on the ground with well fought tough yards winning the battles at the line which will open up the play action bootleg passes like the one we witnessed Bortles do with perfection on a few occasions already in preseason.  Then on defense stop the run by having a stout DLine against the run and on occasion bringing pressure but that allows the DBs to focus soley on the pass knowing that the run will most likely not get past the DLine.

Big tall strong guys on the line on both sides of the ball, toughness more than anything from the players on the team down to the very coach (Gus Bradley).  That is why I'm loving our favorite team, Jaguars, right now.  They are building my ideal team.  Tough, smart, strong players.