Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Something dawned on me..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm with everyone in that I  want to see BB5 start. However watching the Browns last night. I'm wondering if Dave & Gus vehemently

stated that Henne will be the starter to take as much pressure off of him as well as Bortles. Bortles just looks like the type of kid who is oblivious to pressure. Hoyer was awful last night

but I'm wondering if he is feeling some said pressure due to having the giant shadow of Johnny football looming ominously behind him.

Do you think Henne would have fell that same pressure if G&D made it a complete open competition?

Just pondering.. 

Bradley has stated several times that a "no stress environment" was part of the reasoning in naming Henne the starter. 

Bortles:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;"> 

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">Patience has become a virtue for Bortles, who said the Jaguars have not veered from the message they gave him on draft day back in May. He even believes it has taken some pressure off him along the way.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">"It’s an unbelievable situation," Bortles said. "Day One, they said, ‘We’re going to eliminate the stress and anxiety. You’re the backup quarterback, and you need to try to go out and get better.’

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">"So I think, as the person going through it, you have to have the right mindset about it. The competitor in me wants to be the starter. But you have to understand your role and understand your situation and yet also not get complacent and say, ‘I’m happy to be the backup.’"
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...06429.html
great point

Quote:I'm with everyone in that I  want to see BB5 start. However watching the Browns last night. I'm wondering if Dave & Gus vehemently

stated that Henne will be the starter to take as much pressure off of him as well as Bortles. Bortles just looks like the type of kid who is oblivious to pressure. Hoyer was awful last night

but I'm wondering if he is feeling some said pressure due to having the giant shadow of Johnny football looming ominously behind him.

Do you think Henne would have fell that same pressure if G&D made it a complete open competition?

Just pondering.. 

I am sure they dont want to add anxiety to Blake as Gus has already stated, but Johnny Football Manziel's problem is himself.  Prior to preseason he wasnt putting the work in like Blake was and actively seeking additonal help to improve and learn but rather drinking with his fake friends in LasVegas partying every chance he got.  That's fine, what you want to do in your off time is your business (as long as its legal) but when it comes time to play you cant perform the way he did last night and expect to be handed acclaims & the throne of the Browns Offense.  He certainly did help his case by acting like a fool and flicking off the opposing team regardless of what was chanted at him.  I mean you are in a leader role and have to carry yourself in a manner that demonstrates cool, calm, collective focus even at times when your pateince is being tried.  He proved last night that he is so not ready to start in week 1.  The browns might start him anyways because Hoyer stinks.  He was just as bad as Manziel and Henne wouldve look brillant if he played instead of either of them in that game.   Unlike Blake Bortles whom is very modest and even after playing stellar two weeks of preseason admits he has much to learn and threw a couple passes he wished he could take back.  That is the sign of a leader, not manziel he's proving why teams like Dallas passed on the guy.
Quote:I'm with everyone in that I  want to see BB5 start. However watching the Browns last night. I'm wondering if Dave & Gus vehemently

Just pondering.. 

It "dawned" on you because the idea had already been planted in your head. Kind of like Inception... oooooo spoooky.  :teehee:
Watching last nights game, it is impossible to say that when you split first team reps (which are so few anyway) it doesn't affect the rhythm of the offense.  Gus and Dave have a good plan and are doing good abiding by it. 

Quote:It "dawned" on you because the idea had already been planted in your head. Kind of like Inception... oooooo spoooky. :teehee:

You know it has to be from in its basic form to make it seem like true inspiration.
Quote:Just pondering.. 

Ponder is not an option.  He didn't succeed in Minnesota.  Not sure why you'd think that he'd be good here.
Quote:You know it has to be from in its basic form to make it seem like true inspiration.

Right. Like, he basically watched one of Gus's press conferences and then all of a sudden it dawned on him. hehe. 
The thing that a lot of folks may have trouble figuring out is the whole "compete without anxiety" part. When you are competing against someone else, it adds anxiety. But if you are allowed to focus on competition with yourself, that's a prime environment. It opens you up for introspection and a lot of people can't wrap their head around it.

Eureka moments are great things, I'm not gonna rob someone of theirs.

Quote:The thing that a lot of folks may have trouble figuring out is the whole "compete without anxiety" part. When you are competing against someone else, it adds anxiety. But if you are allowed to focus on competition with yourself, that's a prime environment. It opens you up for introspection and a lot of people can't wrap their head around it.

Eureka moments are great things, I'm not gonna rob someone of theirs.

Nice post. But I'm just poking a little fun that's all. 
I get it this is a sarcasm post right. Right?

Exactly.  They handled this perfectly and it is going as smoothe as I have ever seen in this situation.  

Just pondering.. 

I look it like this. The pressure on Henne to perform as an NFL starting QB started back in April when the team decided to take Bortles with the number three overall pick. It actually started when he was only handed a two year contract extension. He knows he's a stop-gap QB right now at best. And in less he can pull Alex Smith like abilities out of his magic hat, his stock is not going to warrant much out on the open market in 2015.

They're both grown men. They're not foolish. It's business at the end of the day. Regardless of what Caldwell and Bradley have been saying, if Henne lays an egg in Detroit with the starters, and Bortles comes out and eats the starters alive with his one quarter of play. The QB controversy will begin from that point forward. The moment Henne starts us off at 0 - 3 strictly due to his poor play, the controversy starts there.

Hoyer isn't feeling any pressure. Hoyer is playing like Hoyer because that's who he is at this level. Manziel didn't just slip to Cleveland in round one for no reason as well. His maturity was raising red flags prior to the draft, and guess what? Not even into the regular season yet and this kid has done enough over the last four months to make you feel better if you were a GM pondering on whether or not to take him in RD1 already. Bortles got selected by us because of his skillset, growth potential, arm strength, and size. It made sense for us. And it's made Caldwell look smart so far.

I just don't think what Gus or Dave says though takes any pressure off of Henne or Bortles. It's not like it's not coming. It's not any different than any other cloud of doubt you'd find around the leauge in other camps right now with a QB battle going on. It can still go either way. I am still hoping Bortles sits this year though no matter what happens over the next two weeks.

Just pondering.. 

how is hoyer supposed to succeed? they run 2 different offenses depending on which qb is in the game. that means the timing is off with the line and with the receivers. he is also knocking off the rust. they have put him in no position so far to win.