Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Practice Squad Size to Increase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the number on the practice squad increasing to 10 players (from 8) there will be 2 more rookies or younger players with minimal active roster time eligible.   Who do you think will make the P.S.? 

Eligibilty guidelines:

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.
Tweet from Shefter:

<div>
<div style="margin-left:58px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Gotham Narrow SSm', sans-serif, Arial;">
<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter'>@<b>AdamSchefter</b></a>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Quote: 

<div>
<p class="" style="font-size:28px;font-family:'Gotham Narrow SSm', sans-serif, Arial;color:rgb(41,47,51);">By next week, NFL is expected to increase size of practice squads to 10 players from 8, per source. So 64 more jobs.

</div>

Imagine we'll stash some young WR's on the practice squad this year.

Quote:Imagine we'll stash some young WR's on the practice squad this year.
Could be. There's a strange bubble there though that includes ineligible players like Kerry Taylor and Tandon Doss.  Either of which could be out of a job upon Sanders return.  I think Hurns will make the 53  -  but is obviously a PS candidate. I wonder if he'd clear waivers, though. 

I think Marcel Jensen is a candidate. Terrance Cobb, Storm, DeAndre Coleman, Craig Loston, Rashaad Reynolds, Lamaar Thomas, Marcus Whitfield as well. 
Storm seem's like a logical choice, the RB position is pretty crowded but he's young and talented enough you don't want to let him go.

I like the change but I wouldn't mind if they made the new additional spots a "veteran" practice squad so to speak.  Let them stash guys that typically would be past eligibility.  

I also believe it's time to increase the roster size to something closer to 60 this day and age.  Injuries become more and more common it seems with the speed/size of players increasing, adding a few extra guys to the roster makes sense to me.
Storm on the PS may happen..

I wonder if we'll see more poaching from other teams?

Quote:Could be. There's a strange bubble there though that includes ineligible players like Kerry Taylor and Tandon Doss.  Either of which could be out of a job upon Sanders return.  I think Hurns will make the 53  -  but is obviously a PS candidate. I wonder if he'd clear waivers, though. 

I think Marcel Jensen is a candidate. Terrance Cobb, Storm, DeAndre Coleman, Craig Loston, Rashaad Reynolds, Lamaar Thomas, Marcus Whitfield as well. 

Josh Wells too.
Quote:...  I think Hurns will make the 53  -  but is obviously a PS candidate. I wonder if he'd clear waivers, though. 

I don't think there's any way that Hurns will clear waivers. Not if he puts up another good game film like Chicago.
I am hoping this helps Cobb hang around. 

Someone has a real thing for Cobb. 

Not shocked at all. 

Quote:Someone has a real thing for Cobb. 

Not shocked at all

Anyone who watched his footage would want this player to stick around and not be hastily discarded. 

A practice squad increase could help his chances to stick. 
Quote:Anyone who watched his footage would want this player to stick around and not be hastily discarded. 

Nobody is suggesting he be "hastily discarded."

A week ago you were banging the drum to give him a roster spot.  At least you're starting to face reality. 
Quote:Nobody is suggesting he be "hastily discarded."

A week ago you were banging the drum to give him a roster spot.  At least you're starting to face reality. 

Well, he didn't even get any carries (opportunities) last game so....yeah, the expectations are lowered. 
Quote:I don't think there's any way that Hurns will clear waivers. Not if he puts up another good game film like Chicago.

Hurns wouldn't clear waivers right now. 
I would like to see teams have the ability to hold onto a few veteran players in some manner. Possibly the two new spots could relax the PS eligibility to include any player with any level of experience. There are a lot of QB's out there that could be held as a third QB without taking up space on the 53 player roster.
Quote:I would like to see teams have the ability to hold onto a few veteran players in some manner. Possibly the two new spots could relax the PS eligibility to include any player with any level of experience. There are a lot of QB's out there that could be held as a third QB without taking up space on the 53 player roster.
That will never happen because of the CBA.  You're not going to stash a veteran, even at the minimum on the practice squad.  Too expensive. 
Quote:Hurns wouldn't clear waivers right now. 
There's no need to worry about that.  He's not going anywhere.  I think he's already locked up a roster spot. 
Quote:Anyone who watched his footage would want this player to stick around and not be hastily discarded. 

In case you haven't seen this.  You'll enjoy it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLY1pjN_T0
Quote:That will never happen because of the CBA.  You're not going to stash a veteran, even at the minimum on the practice squad.  Too expensive. 

I am aware of that, and agree with you, but which side would vote that proposition down. The Owners, or the Players? I see that idea as a win for both sides. The veterans, and owners both agreed on a rookie wage scale (mutual benefit). The possibility to hold onto a couple veterans if desired would benefit both sides as well. Not making it a requirement, but an option.
No way Hurns clears waivers as of today.
Pages: 1 2