Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Don Pardo, long time voice of SNL dies at 96
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's going to be very odd hearing someone else belt out "It's Saturday Night Liiiiiive"

Quote:It's going to be very odd hearing someone else belt out "It's Saturday Night Liiiiiive"

I thought the same thing. I just don't know how they're going to open now. Anything else will just be weird.
Don Pardo also did some work with Frank Zappa...... The name of the song would violate the CoC :teehee:

I first heard him doing game shows like Jeopardy when it was a network game show  on NBC...   When he showed up on SNL, I remember thinking at the time that it was the voice of Jeopardy!!  

I read that in recent years, he just recorded it from his home in AZ...  He used to do it live...

Quote:I first heard him doing game shows like Jeopardy when it was a network game show  on NBC...   When he showed up on SNL, I remember thinking at the time that it was the voice of Jeopardy!!  

I read that in recent years, he just recorded it from his home in AZ...  He used to do it live...
According to the article, he actually retired in 2004, but would fly to NY weekly to do it live until very recently when he started recording it during the week from his home.  What a great life that must have been. 
RIP...

What a great voice he had...
I heard on the radio today that he and Bob Hope were the only two people ever to have lifetime contracts from NBC. Not Cosby, not Lorne Michaels, heck not even Hasselhoff got that treatment.

Quote:I heard on the radio today that he and Bob Hope were the only two people ever to have lifetime contracts from NBC. Not Cosby, not Lorne Michaels, heck not even Hasselhoff got that treatment.

Not even the Hoff???? Say it ain't so!!!!
Quote:I heard on the radio today that he and Bob Hope were the only two people ever to have lifetime contracts from NBC. Not Cosby, not Lorne Michaels, heck not even Hasselhoff got that treatment.

I believe there were a few others. Milton Berle was one that signed an NBC lifetime contract for sure. Nonetheless Pardo was one of the best voices ever to grace our radio/TV sets.
It's surprising that his voice never changed. I'd have never guessed by listening to him that he was 96 years old.
Quote:I first heard him doing game shows like Jeopardy when it was a network game show  on NBC...   When he showed up on SNL, I remember thinking at the time that it was the voice of Jeopardy!!  

When I think of Don Pardo,  his voice on Jeopardy when Art Fleming was the host on NBC,  is what immediately came to mind when I saw that he sadly passed away.   In those days,  Jeopardy took place in New York,  not Los Angeles.    That was a great era for Game Shows!
R.I.P.