Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell Building Locally?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not counting the Georgia players here is a list of key players on our team who have played college ball in the state of Florida.

[Image: lCNd4Q1.jpg]

Maybe it's just that Florida has some of the best football teams in the country.
Quote:Maybe it's just that Florida has some of the best football teams in the country.

True, but it's an interesting thing to keep track of even if it coincidental.
The wealth of talent in the state certainly has a lot to do with it, combined with the ability of coaching staff to see some of these kids play likely part of the equation.  Accessibility is probably the biggest factor. 

It certainly doesn't hurt the expansion of the regional fan base at the same time -  though I don't believe that to be anything other than a very minor piece of the puzzle. 

I think we picked up some Miami players because of Jedd Fisch being the coach down there 2 years ago. 

It's not just college. Denard Robinson and Ace Sanders played high school football in Florida. Demetrius McCray and Chris Clemons are from Georgia.

If you look at the signings/draft picks, alot of guys from the south. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Texas.

Not a coincidence.

Derrick Henry or Kelvin Taylor coming to a RB group near you.
Ryan Davis went to BCU.

Quote:I think we picked up some Miami players because of Jedd Fisch being the coach down there 2 years ago. 
This.

All of the Miami players we have are from the offensive side of the ball.
Quote:This.

All of the Miami players we have are from the offensive side of the ball.
Yeah, I think there's merit to bringing in guys you're most familiar with, and obviously the guys who played for Fisch would qualify in that regard. 
It's regional. There is more scouting done in state and surrounding states than farther away. I've read before where teams have an area they do most scouting in other than the high rounds of the draft.

Being here in Indiana or the midwest in general, I can tell you now that the frenzy and passions fans have for football is the complete opposite compared to the south. In fact basketball is way more revered than football here. 

Quote:Not counting the Georgia players here is a list of key players on our team who have played college ball in the state of Florida.

[Image: lCNd4Q1.jpg]
That's just smart business, because players usually want to remain where they are among friends and family.  It helps generate sales because Jacksonville was always been known as and remains a huge college fan base.  If you can hire local college players and attract some of those college fans to praise their favorite players in the pros while adding value to your franchise why wouldnt you?

I was always dumb founded at a lot of moves Gene Smith had made but tons of florida talent he passed on...

Tebow... lol
Quote:It's regional. There is more scouting done in state and surrounding states than farther away. I've read before where teams have an area they do most scouting in other than the high rounds of the draft.
While that is true for most teams including the Jags, this team does have a large scouting staff, and they do send them out across the country.
The biggest thing is that the best areas to find players are the deep south and California.

I was looking at one of the recruiting rankings for 2015. Almost all of the top players in high school were from California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. 

It also doesn't hurt to get guys who have played in this humidity all of their lives.

I'm guessing it's just because Florida, like Texas and Cal, just pump out more football athletes. I'm sure you'll find all your best hockey players upnorth, and the ratio of basketball to football players in a state like NY will be lopsided as well. Warmer climate areas have nothing to do but play football. Looking through the roster, and I can't tell you how many are from California state, but we have 11 guys from Californian school. And seeing as though states like Cal and Texas like to keep their athletes, a good amount should be domestic athletes. Now baseball, that's an interesting one.
Quote:Maybe it's just that Florida has some of the best football teams in the country.

Exactly !!   Caldwell is building on athletic talent and speed.   Where is that ?  Florida, Texas, and California.   You can find talent elsewhere but these states are the hotbeds of football.   There's a reason teams like Bama have a lot of Florida players on their roster.
Quote:It's regional talent and speed. There is more scouting done talent and speed in state and surrounding states than farther away. I've read before where teams have an area they do most scouting in other than the high rounds of the draft.

fixed