Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Credit Where Due
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last week, I started a thread that talked about anti Jacksonville/Jaguars bias, and cited Peter King's MMQBs column as an example after he broke his own promise to cover the Jaguars.

Today, I am compelled to give credit where due.

He redeems himself with a page 2 story on the Jaguars and Bortles, even with a link to his training camp report. 

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/18/san-franci...-debuts/2/

Jedd said nothing is set in stone, we are giving him a chance to make the decision hard for us.

Interpretation. ....Hey Jag fans Blake will start week one because he can lead us to the playoffs and here we wefe thinking we would have to wait!

Quote:Jedd said nothing is set in stone, we are giving him a chance to make the decision hard for us.
This is a complete 180 turn from their position that Bortles will sit no matter what. He's really proving everyone wrong.
"he doesn’t have happy feet, he sees his progression clearly, and he throws with an easy and unforced arm motion"

I'll take that as someone that watched the games and not just listening to the talking heads.

I don't see the big deal....

Blake is out playing Chad and he is proving himself each week.

Start him because he gives you the best chance to win now and later.

Case closed
Quote:
This is a complete 180 turn from their position that Bortles will sit no matter what. He's really proving everyone wrong.
Did they actually ever say that he'd be on the bench all year no matter what? My recollection was that they said they wouldn't start him until he was ready and were prepared to wait the whole year. When asked how they'd know when that was, Fisch replied "we'll know".
Quote:Did they actually ever say that he'd be on the bench all year no matter what? My recollection was that they said they wouldn't start him until he was ready and were prepared to wait the whole year. When asked how they'd know when that was, Fisch replied "we'll know".

Caldwell was quoted that he plans on having Henne start and Bortles sit for the whole year, basically have a redshirt year.
Folks read way to much into this.

The expectation was that he will sit for a year.

Chad is the starter.

So it's up to Blake to prove them wrong.

And if he does.

He Starts.

That option was always there.

All anyone heard was, "Sit for the year"

HeadSlap

ps: I hope he makes it "hard for them"

Quote:Caldwell was quoted that he plans on having Henne start and Bortles sit for the whole year, basically have a redshirt year.
I don't see anywhere where they said that they would absolutely sit him for the whole year no matter what. Bradley was quoted as saying after the draft that "we like where he (Bortles) is at". Also that they'd "like to give Bortles a year to develop" and "we feel like this time under Chad, a year to develop, will be really good in the end result".

Caldwell meanwhile said they'd "LIKE to give Bortles the year to develop and let Henne have this year."

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/jaguars-say-they-intend-to-give-bortles-a-year-to-develop/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/21/jaguars-say-they-intend-to-give-bortles-a-year-to-develop/</a>

I remember Caldwell later making the "not start him until he's ready" comment.

To me sounds like they have a plan but would be willing to adjust it if and when Bortles proves he's ready to take that step.
Yeah, it's actually kind of brilliant.

He's forcing their hand, which is kind of what you'd hope for anyway.

Great to see our QB making strides.

Good time to be a jags fan

In regards to anxiety;

whereas anxiety is the expectation of future threat (Chad Henne might have that in regards to losing his job)

Anxiety is a feeling of fear, worry, and uneasiness, usually generalized and unfocused as an overreaction to a situation that is only subjectively seen as menacing (hmm like Suh coming right at you unblocked)

It is often accompanied by muscular tension, restlessness, fatigue, and problems in concentration  (hmm have you ever noticed Blakes jaw movement thing right before he lines up for a play?)

-------------------------

I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks before Blake starts, but the future looks bright!
Quote:In regards to anxiety;

whereas anxiety is the expectation of future threat (Chad Henne might have that in regards to losing his job)

Anxiety is a feeling of fear, worry, and uneasiness, usually generalized and unfocused as an overreaction to a situation that is only subjectively seen as menacing (hmm like Suh coming right at you unblocked)

It is often accompanied by muscular tension, restlessness, fatigue, and problems in concentration  (hmm have you ever noticed Blakes jaw movement thing right before he lines up for a play?)

-------------------------

I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks before Blake starts, but the future looks bright!
According to all reports, the last thing Henne is feeling is anxiety.  He even supported the decision to allow Bortles to practice with the first team this week, and th get reps with them in Detroit.  Henne understands his role, and he should be commended for continuing to be a real pro despite the fact that he knows he's just renting the position. 

As far as his "jaw movement thing" goes, he's done it throughout his career.  Pretty sure it has nothing to do with tension, restlessness, fatigue, or concentration problems.

Quote:Folks read way to much into this.

The expectation was that he will sit for a year.

Chad is the starter.

So it's up to Blake to prove them wrong.

And if he does.

He Starts.

That option was always there.

All anyone heard was, "Sit for the year"

HeadSlap

ps: I hope he makes it "hard for them"

^^^^ Yep. ^^^^
I hope Henne comes out and wins 3 of the first 4, then we can be happy with wins and put the Bortles case to rest. The worst thing that could happen is another Balls Out McClown situation.

Quote:According to all reports, the last thing Henne is feeling is anxiety.  He even supported the decision to allow Bortles to practice with the first team this week, and th get reps with them in Detroit.  Henne understands his role, and he should be commended for continuing to be a real pro despite the fact that he knows he's just renting the position. 

As far as his "jaw movement thing" goes, he's done it throughout his career.  Pretty sure it has nothing to do with tension, restlessness, fatigue, or concentration problems.
maybe TMJ?
Quote:I hope Henne comes out and wins 3 of the first 4, then we can be happy with wins and put the Bortles case to rest. The worst thing that could happen is another Balls Out McClown situation.
As a Jaguar fan I would always want the team to win regardless of whos at QB.  The problem is most dont feel Henne can take this team to even 7 wins let alone 10.
Quote:Did they actually ever say that he'd be on the bench all year no matter what? My recollection was that they said they wouldn't start him until he was ready and were prepared to wait the whole year. When asked how they'd know when that was, Fisch replied "we'll know".
No, they've never come out and said that specifically.  I think the media has reported it that way, and it's gone viral from there, but I think what the team is saying today is pretty much the same thing they've been saying since before they even drafted a QB.  They had no intention of rushing it along. 
Quote:maybe TMJ?
Or adderall. 
Quote:According to all reports, the last thing Henne is feeling is anxiety. He even supported the decision to allow Bortles to practice with the first team this week, and th get reps with them in Detroit. Henne understands his role, and he should be commended for continuing to be a real pro despite the fact that he knows he's just renting the position.

This. Props to Henne for handling this situation admirably. I don't know that I would handle it so well if my employer told me to teach a new guy everything I knew and oh yeah, he would be taking my place when he was ready.. But FWIW I hope Blake's ready sooner rather than later.
Pages: 1 2