Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags' stubbornness has helped Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A good read, figured I would post

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...ke-bortles

Quote:A good read, figured I would post

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/7295/jacksonville-jaguars-stubbornness-has-helped-blake-bortles'>http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/7295/jacksonville-jaguars-stubbornness-has-helped-blake-bortles</a>

Quote:That’s why Bradley isn’t budging. Henne will be the starter when the Jaguars open the season at Philadelphia on Sept. 7. Bortles will be the backup. He’ll have to know the game plan and be ready to go into the game if needed, but his No. 1 priority is to continue to progress. 

The Jaguars will eventually make the change, though. Bortles’ development will hit the point where he gives the team a better chance to win games than Henne. Maybe it will be next season. Maybe it will be after the bye. Maybe it will be Week 4. No one knows when the rookie will reach that point, but the Jaguars believe not pushing him to get there will make it arrive sooner. 

And they’re being stubborn about it. 

And I love it. Its not orthodox but apparently its working.
I would venture to say Bortles gives us the best chance to win already.
Quote:I would venture to say Bortles gives us the best chance to win already.

I agree, but I still think Henne should start, at least for a little while.
Quote:I agree, but I still think Henne should start, at least for a little while.
this^
Quote:this^

Seconded
Cross your fingers Henne reaches Alex Smith levels and can fetch a draft pick.

Quote:Cross your fingers Henne reaches Alex Smith levels and can fetch a draft pick.

Why not just keep him as a backup?
They aren't handing him the job.

But at the same time, they certainly aren't going to stop him from taking it.

Quote:Cross your fingers Henne reaches Alex Smith levels and can fetch a draft pick.
this
Quote:Why not just keep him as a backup?

Because you don't keep a backup on a 1 year deal if you can get a draft pick for him.
Quote:Why not just keep him as a backup?
... because you would get a draft pick.
Quote:... because you would get a draft pick.

I'd rather have Henne, a capable back-up QB with 2 years in the same system than get whatever we can for him. I doubt he'd garner more than a 5th. 
Quote:I'd rather have Henne, a capable back-up QB with 2 years in the same system than get whatever we can for him. I doubt he'd garner more than a 5th.
Are you kidding?

You'd have to be pretty stupid if you didnt immediately pull the trigger on a 5th round pick for Henne.
Worst case scenario we buy him a tractor and a cell phone and bid him adieu at some point.....

Quote:Are you kidding?

You'd have to be pretty stupid if you didnt immediately pull the trigger on a 5th round pick for Henne.

Yeah, just imagine what Dave and Gus could do with an extra draft pick.

Also, wouldn't you trust them to find another capable backup QB who they can develop and maybe turn into a trade for a nice draft pick down the road?

Yeah.. who needs a capable backup QB in this league. Definitely not the Packers.
Would love for henne to play well enough that we have the option to trade him for a pick or two Smile
Quote:I agree, but I still think Henne should start, at least for a little while.
i also believe bortles is playing better, but want to see the line get stabilized before starting him.

if henne continues to play at the level he did with the bears i would rather keep him as a backup.
Pages: 1 2 3