Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chris Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had an offsides penalty, but came back a couple plays later for a sack. This kid has shown some real potential and could be a great guy to throw into the rotation as he develops. They said he is not a big NFL guy and has never been to a Pro game before playing in one last night. Really liked his motor though. Excited to see what he becomes in the next few years.
He is very fast for his position. Fred Taylor compared him to the old Colts D-Line he played against. I thought that was accurate.

He looked offsides a few other times. But it is because he was so quick off the line. Will be a nice guy to rotate in behind Clemons.
Yeah, he was close to being offside more than once, but he is definitely quick. 

The more pass rushers the better. Its nice to see players that actually look like they have potential like he and telvin smith. Instead of being told they have potential like guys such as Quentin groves and Larry hart.
Quote:The more pass rushers the better. Its nice to see players that actually look like they have potential like he and telvin smith. Instead of being told they have potential like guys such as Quentin groves and Larry hart.

You were probably a Larry Hart fan. 
He's only offsides if they call it. Which was only once out of about 4 or 5 plays. I noticed the offensive lineman was moving a bit sooner than before.

Im hoping chris smith isn't a one trick pony however. Speed only gets you so much in this league.

If I were an opposing coach, I'd have my QB do a hard count and draw him offsides.   He was definitely timing the snap.  I'd like to see if he gets as good a jump against an experienced QB. 

Quote:If I were an opposing coach, I'd have my QB do a hard count and draw him offsides. He was definitely timing the snap. I'd like to see if he gets as good a jump against an experienced QB.
He's a rookie so he will get better in that department as well.

At least he has shown some positives already, now it's time to do it consistently.
Quote:You were probably a Larry Hart fan.

Stay on topic troll
Quote:If I were an opposing coach, I'd have my QB do a hard count and draw him offsides. He was definitely timing the snap. I'd like to see if he gets as good a jump against an experienced QB.

And I am sure the better ones will.

He looked pretty good out there.
I would laugh pretty hard if his stats at the end of the year are better than clowneys.

Quote:I would laugh pretty hard if his stats at the end of the year are better than clowneys.

I'd certainly rub it in the face of every texan fan.
Quote:I would laugh pretty hard if his stats at the end of the year are better than clowneys.

That would be great. Even a comparable stat line would be awesome. I hope they forever regret passing on Blake!
Quote:If I were an opposing coach, I'd have my QB do a hard count and draw him offsides.   He was definitely timing the snap.  I'd like to see if he gets as good a jump against an experienced QB. 

It's great that we're at this point though, because Chris Smith can learn that it isn't always wise to try and time the snap count and one of these preseason QBs will catch him multiple times and he'll be better for it.
Quote:Im hoping chris smith isn't a one trick pony however. Speed only gets you so much in this league.

Not having speed is usually a one way ticket out of the league for a DE, tho. 
Chris Smith did look good hopefully it translates to the regular season
Quote:Chris Smith did look good hopefully it translates to the regular season

I'm confident it will. I don't remember seeing many highlights at all from players like Harvey even in preseason. All that would be made is excuses as to why he wasn't showing any. 

The fact that Chris Smith amongst others, is already showing flashes, is a very good sign. Rookies are always going to be inconsistent....but as long as the good is there to show you what the potential is, you've likely got something in a player. 

That would be quite entertaining, but the experts here will attribute that to scheme.