Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brewster played better than you think...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just went back and re-watched the offensive line play.  Brewster actually played pretty well other than the 2 bad snaps.  

I don't know why some were claiming (Lageman) it was Brewster's fault for the run play blown up in the backfield on the 1st play, but it was McClendon who got run over and knocked onto his butt allowing the defender to make the tackle.  Brewster was already blocking on the 2nd level.

To be honest, McClendon was by far and away the weak link on the line.  He also turnstiled one pass rush on the 2nd drive.  Beadles was actually pretty bad as well.  Joeckel and Pazstor looked pretty good, with Joeckel having a nice pancake on an outside run for 3 yards.

Joeckel A

Pazstor A-

Brewster C+

Linder C

Beadles C

McClendon D

Quote:I just back and re-watched the offensive line play.  Brewster actually played pretty well other than the 2 bad snaps.  

I don't know why some were claiming (Lageman) it was Brewster's fault for the run play blown up in the backfield on the 1st play, but it was McClendon who got run over and knocked onto his butt allowing the defender to make the tackle.  Brewster was already blocking on the 2nd level.

To be honest, McClendon was by far and away the weak link on the line.  He also turnstiled one pass rush on the 2nd drive.  Beadles was actually pretty bad as well.  Joeckel and Pazstor looked pretty good, with Joeckel having a nice pancake on an outside run for 3 yards.

Joeckel A

Pazstor A-

Brewster C+

Linder C

Beadles C

McClendon D

So more or less....more of the same? i.e. decent Tackle play, but a sieve up the middle?

Quote:So all in all....more of the same? i.e. decent Tackle play, but a sieve up the middle?

Pretty much.

It's only one preseason game, but it looks very similar to last year.  The only supposed upgrade was Beadles, and he didn't play like one.  He gets beat, just not quite as ugly as in the past.

I didn't watch the line close enough to make any real judgment, just replaying the game in my head it seems like the center struggled. I know the bad snaps where a problem before but I figured we'd have that worked out by now. 

What makes this so scary is Gus interview a few minutes ago he stated TB only sent the heat once i think. Imagine when its a heavy blitzing team
Quote:I didn't watch the line close enough to make any real judgment, just replaying the game in my head it seems like the center struggled. I know the bad snaps where a problem before but I figured we'd have that worked out by now. 

It really wasn't the center. 

You saw pressure from the interior, but often Brewster was out at the 2nd level or leading outside zone runs.
Quote:What makes this so scary is Gus interview a few minutes ago he stated TB only sent the heat once i think. Imagine when its a heavy blitzing team

Yeah, it was pretty simple.  Very little communication and passing off needed.  The guards just got beat 1 on 1.
How was Bowanko?
Quote:Pretty much.

It's only one preseason game, but it looks very similar to last year.  The only supposed upgrade was Beadles, and he didn't play like one.  He gets beat, just not quite as ugly as in the past.

I'm telling you (figuratively)....more and more I am starting to point the finger of these OL issues with Yarno. He wasn't that good at Detroit, either. Certainly not in the running game. 
I'll have to go look at it.  I stopped looking at it after Henne left the game.

This is why you shouldn't listen to knee jerk reactions about the offensive line during and immediately after the game.  Its hard to actually watch the game and watch whats going on at the line at the same time.  You have to specifically watch the line and then replay the same play like 3 or 4 times to see everything thats going on.

Quote:I'm telling you (figuratively)....more and more I am starting to point the finger of these OL issues with Yarno. He wasn't that good at Detroit, either. Certainly not in the running game. 

I think its more of a talent issue.  They aren't breaking down in communication.  They are just simply getting beat 1 on 1.  Unless you want to blame him for being bad at developing talent, but that doesn't explain Beadles.  The story on Beadles was actually mixed according to Denver fans.  Many thought he was a weak link on their offensive line.  He was a bit of a risk signing.
Quote:I just went back and re-watched the offensive line play.  Brewster actually played pretty well other than the 2 bad snaps.  

Joeckel A

Pazstor A-

Brewster C+

Linder C

Beadles C

McClendon D

The guys in the booth have seconds to make their call.  They sometimes miss things first go round.  Lageman is a terrific commentator, but he shines even more in the film room where he's got more time to break it down.

That being said, this line is going to take time (a few more games of playing together) to solidify.  We've got rookies and veterans alike who just experienced their very first live fire together as a unit.
Quote:I think its more of a talent issue.  They aren't breaking down in communication.  They are just simply getting beat 1 on 1.  Unless you want to blame him for being bad at developing talent, but that doesn't explain Beadles.  The story on Beadles was actually mixed according to Denver fans.  Many thought he was a weak link on their offensive line.  He was a bit of a risk signing.

Its probably too early to 100% point to one thing. You could ultimately be right with the above. I'm just starting to lean in the direction that Yarno's an issue.
Quote:I'm telling you (figuratively)....more and more I am starting to point the finger of these OL issues with Yarno. He wasn't that good at Detroit, either. Certainly not in the running game. 

Yawn... there's always a fall guy.  Always.  We get it already.  The song's worn out.
Quote:Yawn... there's always a fall guy.  Always.  We get it already.  The song's worn out.

Well, actually yes, there usually IS a fall guy when theres an football issue or a person to point to for blame. 
Quote:Its probably too early to 100% point to one thing. You could ultimately be right with the above. I'm just starting to lean in the direction that Yarno's an issue.

Yarno is at home in Washington fighting cancer. Has been for some time now. He's a perfect target for your "have to assign blame / bigger picture" game you like to play.

Big man, you are.
Watched up to the 2nd half now.  Linder struggling a little bit with power when on the move.  McClendon a little better at center, but still gave up 1 pressure.  Young giving up too much push - it slowed one run to the right where the guard and center were pulling and had to run around Young.  Bradfield playing well, but had 1 comical play on the Bortles horsecollar sack.  He attempted to cut block and completely whiffed and blocked air, allowing a free rush to Blake.

Quote:Well, actually yes, there usually IS a fall guy when theres an football issue or a person to point to for blame. 

In your case, it's always a blind, premature, knee jerk guess.  Not unlike a blind throw at a dart board, that is completely devoid of a thorough analysis of all the facts.
Quote:Yarno is at home in Washington fighting cancer. Has been for some time now. He's a perfect target for your "have to assign blame / bigger picture" game you like to play.

Big man, you are.

Theory completely destroyed again, again.
Quote:Theory completely destroyed again, again.

Its still his scheme. 
Pages: 1 2 3