Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Bucs Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The first preseason game is always exciting for me, even after 20 years.  It's football after a LONG offseason.  It's the first look at the team in game action, including the rookies.  But there are several reasons to be excited now.  My thoughts...

1.  I remember seeing the revamped Gator Bowl-renamed Jacksonville Municipal Stadium-twenty years ago at the first preseason game.  It was brand new and shiny, and the envy of most teams in the league.  It was so much better than the rickety old Gator Bowl.  As the years have gone by, the old gal formerly known as Alltel is now amongst the oldest stadiums in the league.  But after numerous "electronic surgeries," (escalators, ribbons, new locker room) she is still capable of taking your breath away.  The new video boards are freaking awesome!  Often, it is divided into thirds-any one of them standing alone seems larger than the old video board.  Taken together, it is amazing.  It is especially striking when all three show one large image.  It is also amazing to see the board show the same play from three different angles. The picture is as sharp as any HDTV, and the difference in sharpness and contrast between these boards and the old boards is as sharp as you remember when you switch from standard to HDTV.  The team and city have succeeded in bringing the home viewing experience to the stadium and improving upon it.  Many times I found myself watching the screens instead of the field.  Another unexpected thing were the additional ribbon scoreboards added to each end zone.  Combined, the video boards give the stadium a more intimate and cozier, enclosed feel.  It gave me the strongest "my stadium is better than your stadium" vibe since 1996 or so, and enormous relief the city councilmen who voted against the stadium lease back in 1993 did not prevail.

2.  All offseason, many have expressed concern about the state of the OL.  Today, the first team OL lived down to the expectations.  Too many runs were blown up far into the backfield, and the line surrendered too many pressures. 

3.  While I am on the subject of the OL, we all want the offense to resemble last year's Denver team.  What we don't want is the similarities to be to Denver's Super Bowl offensive performance.  Those two horrible shotgun snaps-one of which knocked the team out of scoring range-were disastrous, mitigated only by the recovery of the ball.

4.  However, I am thrilled to see the defense's performance tonight.  They provided constant pressure on the QB.  Clemons gave more proof he still has stuff left in the tank.  SenDerrick Marks was dominant and all over the place.  Bryant solidified the point of attack against the run.  Even Alualu got a sack and a forced fumble.  Guy's interception return for a TD was fun to see.  Cyprien had a very good run support keeping outside leverage/contain.  The defense allowed Tampa's starters only 15 yards of offense.  I know it's the first week of the preseason, but it appears the defense is bringing back the nasty.

5.  As someone who started watching NFL football in the 1970s, I cringe at the changes that have taken physical defense out of the game to a large degree, though I know it is to protect against concussions.  It is what it is...but not necessarily what it SHOULD be.  If you are going to have rules on the books against blows to the head...enforce them.  The failure to throw a flag on the hit on Bortles at the end of the first half is inexcusable.  He was sliding and surrendered himself on the play.  The guy hit him clearly in the helmet.  It was clear as day on the videoboards.  If anyone even thought of hitting Manning or Brady like that, they would have been penalized and fined.  Bortles deserves that protection, too.

6.  It has been a long long time since I've had to explain the very basic fundamentals of football to someone, but I found myself in that exact position in the second half, when a security guard asked me whether there is an automatic change of possession between quarters, or if the drive continues. She was also mystified at the concept of the first down and punting.  She was a fan of "Jerrard" because he ran around, and even asked whether the team should sign Tebow to sell tickets. I didn't think I'd ever hear any more of that.  Bless her heart...she was willing to learn...but she was the walking embodiment of football ignorance.

7.  Rookie Watch

A.  Blake Bortles-Let's address the elephant in the room.  It became a lot easier for the start Bortles now crowd to advance their arguments.  The crowd was energized when he entered the game, and the team seemed to be as well.  I was impressed.  He attacked down field, often opting for passes further downfield when he had open guys underneath.  I saw him turn his head and scan the field on numerous occasions. looking off defenders.  He showed good accuracy and the ability to throw on the move.  He was also tough, shaking off a sack and the aforementioned blow to the head right before halftime.  His numbers would have been better, but suffered from three drops by my count, two by Brown.  It wasn't just that Bortles looked good, but he looked better-considerably so-than Henne.  I know he went against second teamers.  But he also played with second teamers.  Furthermore, the Henne led offense played into the second quarter, which means he went against second and third teamers too, and he still didn't get anything done.  I still think Bortles should sit early, but if this disparity in performance continues, it'll be  harder to convince people that is the right strategy.

B.  Marqise Lee-I was disappointed that he did not have a catch.  I do not know if I can blame him though.  I did not watch him exclusively throughout his routes to see if he separated from coverage, nor do I know what the progressions were.

C.  Allen Robinson-DNP

D.  Brandon Linder-did not stand out, but I would like to re-watch the game to study him.

E.  Roosevelt Colvin-DNP

F.  Telvin Smith-was quite active tonight.  He was in on tackles, including on special teams, had a pass defense, and threw a key block on Winston Guy's INT.  I was impressed.

G.  Chris Smith-He was a major factor tonight.  He had a sack and forced fumble and other pressures.  He had an offsides penalty, but that seemed more out of aggressiveness more than a mental error.  He looked like he could have been called a couple of other times.  But to me, that shows me he has a great jump off the ball, and anticipates the snap  better than any defensive end we've had since Brackens.

H.  Luke Bowanko-didn't study him much, but I noticed there were no disastrous shotgun snaps from him, so that's good.

I.  Storm Johnson-had some very nice runs, though he hesitated some outside.

J.  Deandre Coleman-Made his presence known tonight.  He had a nice run stuff after a one yard gain, showed some very good hustle chasing down a pass play over the middle from behind, and got a pressure/hit on the QB, forcing a bad pass.  I think he helped himself more than any undrafted rookie.

K.  Allan Hurns-also helped himself tremendously tonight.  He had some very nice catches of Bortles passes.

8.     I heard Denard Robinson had put on weight to be sturdier running the ball, especially inside.  It is good to see he didn't lost any of his burst.  He was impressive on his TD run.

9.    Really sucks that another WR went down.  Hope he and Stupar are not seriously injured, and hope everyone else avoided injury.

10.   Bottom line:  I left this game thinking this is a stronger organization and a better team than it was last year.  In the year we celebrate 20 years of Jaguars' football, it is exciting to see such promise on display tonight.

Oh yeah...

Here's hoping that deflected pass caught on the rebound by the FB in the first quarter is a sign of the good luck to come for us.

Quote:Oh yeah...

Here's hoping that deflected pass caught on the rebound by the FB in the first quarter is a sign of the good luck to come for us.

I thought the same thing during the game. Last year that ball would have been picked. The bounce went our way tonight. Let's hope that's an indicator if good things to come.
Quote:I thought the same thing during the game. Last year that ball would have been picked. The bounce went our way tonight. Let's hope that's an indicator if good things to come.

Was I the only one struck by the halftime show?

In our history, typically the laser light shows have been reserved for nationally televised Monday or Thursday night games.  This was the first preseason game of the year and not nationally televised, and they came out with a full bore laser light show.

Khan and Lamping talked about enhancing the game day experience.

They sure did.

I don't see how anyone there could NOT be entertained last night. 

Of course, I said that long before Khan and the new videoboards.
I think the starting OL needs more attention than the little blurb you included. I hope Dave is looking and turning every stone for a veteran center, because Brewster got pushed around, the two botched high snaps not withstanding. McClendon didn't fare any much better either.As far as Luke and Beadles, let's hope there's rust/chemistry issues there, because neither one impressed. Overall, our starting OL struggled mightily.

The Bucs have some OL concens too. So as much as I have high hopes for our defense, I'm tapping the breaks a bit to see it against a much better OL that Chicago has next week. I mean, that defense just looked flat out dominant against Tampa. And I hesitate to put that much praise on it, despite the additions of Red/Chris and Guy stepping in until I see it more. Very promising start, however. If this is the Marks we're going to get due to the attention that Red and Chris are getting, you might as well pencil him in for the Pro-Bowl. As the cool kids might say, book it.

Telvin Smith was active and made a couple of eye-popping plays. However, the Bucs had a couple of runs that they bounced outside. In both of those cases, our entire defense LBs included were sucked inside. Without knowing the player responsibilities, its hard to pin point who's fault it is. But based on the angles and positioning, it would not surprise me if it was Telvin who broke contain due to him being very aggressive in pursuing the ball carrier. There's potential here though for a speedy LB that quite frankly the Jags haven't had in a loooong loooong time, if ever.

Denard's TD run...flat out was impressive. When he turned on those jets....gone. Those who think he'd be cut after the recent reports on the draft is nuts. Dave Caldwell loves Denard, so does Gus. And of our running backs, he gives us that flat out game-breaking speed. Yeah, its probably not prime Chris Johnson or Jamal Charles speed...but its still some major major speed.

I think this D is going to be really fun to watch, for the first time in many years.
Quote:I thought the same thing during the game. Last year that ball would have been picked. The bounce went our way tonight. Let's hope that's an indicator if good things to come.

Sadly that was probably half of Henne's total yardage. If only you could draw it up like that.
I was impressed with the dline's depth.They are really deep at that position.The team will prob have to cut good players on defense.I even like Fleming at that end of the game.

The center position is real bad.That might be the reason Blake doesn't start early.Clearly,DC will have to find someone off the waiver wire after cuts.

(This is post #1,000...veteran!)

I echo all the comments so far and would add this: 

I have a great seat, but I found myself constantly looking at the video boards instead of the field.   I had to force myself to watch the live game action instead of following the play on the video board.   Then it hit me: the greatest beneficiary of those new video boards is the fan in the upper deck.   One year, about 10 years ago, I sat in the very top row of the upper deck, so far away it was hard to read the numbers on the jerseys.  Now, with the HD video boards, the fan in the upper deck can see what's going on a lot better than before.  This makes the tickets in the upper deck worth a lot more. 

Chris Smith has an incredible first step.  Either that, or he was guessing the snap count.  He's a keeper. 

Bortles- after all these years of wondering when our young QB will finally get it, he's already got it.  What are we all going to do on this message board if we can't have a long running, nasty, battle royal over the QB, with half of us saying, be patient, be patient, and the other half saying, he's a bust.  It's a small sample size, but I am ready to say, he's for real.  I hope I don't jinx it. 

This team looks so much better than last year, it's amazing.   Especially the defensive line.   The offensive line will keep us from winning more than 6 or 7 games, but you can't fix everything in one offseason.   They say Caldwell has a plan, and after last night, I can see the plan plain as day.   It's working.   One more offseason, and we'll be in the playoffs.  
Quote:I was impressed with the dline's depth.They are really deep at that position.The team will prob have to cut good players on defense.I even like Fleming at that end of the game.

The center position is real bad.That might be the reason Blake doesn't start early.Clearly,DC will have to find someone off the waiver wire after cuts.

(This is post #1,000...veteran!)

I have the feeling this year's starting center is not yet on the team.  If only we had landed Alex Mack.  Oh, well. 
Quote:I echo all the comments so far and would add this: 

I have a great seat, but I found myself constantly looking at the video boards instead of the field.   I had to force myself to watch the live game action instead of following the play on the video board.   Then it hit me: the greatest beneficiary of those new video boards is the fan in the upper deck.   One year, about 10 years ago, I sat in the very top row of the upper deck, so far away it was hard to read the numbers on the jerseys.  Now, with the HD video boards, the fan in the upper deck can see what's going on a lot better than before.  This makes the tickets in the upper deck worth a lot more. 

Chris Smith has an incredible first step.  Either that, or he was guessing the snap count.  He's a keeper. 

Bortles- after all these years of wondering when our young QB will finally get it, he's already got it.  What are we all going to do on this message board if we can't have a long running, nasty, battle royal over the QB, with half of us saying, be patient, be patient, and the other half saying, he's a bust.  It's a small sample size, but I am ready to say, he's for real.  I hope I don't jinx it. 

This team looks so much better than last year, it's amazing.   Especially the defensive line.   The offensive line will keep us from winning more than 6 or 7 games, but you can't fix everything in one offseason.   They say Caldwell has a plan, and after last night, I can see the plan plain as day.   It's working.   One more offseason, and we'll be in the playoffs.  

I'm not sure that Chris Smith wasn't off-sides in at least 3-4 of his hurries. In a regular season game, he probably gets called for at least two of those.
Quote:I echo all the comments so far and would add this: 

Outstanding point about the boards increasing the value of the upper deck seats.  I am on the very top row, and I found myself, like you, glued to the video boards.  Showing the same replay simultaneously from three different angles blows the mind.

Never thought I'd read about the possibility of a QB controversy free message board on this board!  But somehow I don't think we'll go through any controversy withdrawal.  You know the saying about nature abhorring a vacuum?  I'm sure the fine posters here at Jaguars.com will take up the slack with something else to bicker about should what you say come to fruition.
So many quality comments in this thread, even the Message Board has upped its game-

- loved Telvin Smith, #50 was very fast and very active...

- Draft Day:

<RING>

"Hello?"

"Hello Chris? Gus Bradley from the Jacksonville Jaguars."

"...inaudible..." (from Chris' side)

Coach Bradley: "Well, I missed you too"

- I sit front row Upper Deck, video boards make even a great seat something special.

- I would like to see them do something with referee calls:

- closed captioning so we can understand what he is saying?

- using a piece of the outside third of the video board to post a written summary of the call? (Holding. #60 Offense. 10 yard penalty accepted.). Maybe leave it on the board as "Last Penalty" or leave it for 3-5 minutes after it occurs or until the next penalty.

- IMO Nate Stupar played a solid game.

- Easy to say they should have gotten a center in the draft or $igned one in FA but I now think there's a plan to pick up an inexpensive vet off waivers and the plan was in place all along. If Brewster played well, fine, but I bet there's no panic about this...they likely have their guy targeted already

- Alan Hurns stood out to me as did DeAndre Coleman

The team definitely looks much improved and looks like the kind of team nobody wants to play.  Our D is going to bring relentless pressure and we now have the team speed to take advantage of broken plays and turnovers.  The offense is a work in progress due to rebuilding the OL and the young / injured / emotionally troubled WR corps.

I do think Bortles has "it" - the ability to play larger than himself and to elevate those around him.  It wasn't just the crowd *wanting* him to show something.  He showed something on nearly every play. 

Henne did squat and looked bad with more batted balls.  Bortles created room and looked comfortable throwing.  We absolutely need better play from Henne, because I do not want a situation where a half-ready Bortles is our best option.  Been there, got the t-shirt.  If the OL is not good, make Henne take those lumps. 

What makes it easy for the start Blake crowd is the fact that Chad Henne is a complete waste of space. If he continues that nonsense Blake will be starting by week 4.

Overall the team looked good. Telvin Smith could be something special. Our STARTING Dline looks like they are going to play with a little attitude for the first time in years.

The DBs must have played pretty decent because McCown and Glennon showed absolutely nothing.

Oline struggled to me, but that is to be expected this early. Brewster is on his way out. I am thinking they go to the free agent pool or the waiver wire for a center.

I didn't watch Luke J. That much but he must have played half way decent.
1st Jaguars game day experience.  One word.  AWESOME.

The OL situation in addition to the need for more repetitions with the footwork/ fundamentals are reasons that I still don't want Bortles starting until well into the season. 

I will say this however, when you watched Gabbert play - he simply never looked the part of an NFL QB. Not with his delivery and not with his command. When you watched Gabbert in college it was the same. I remember making posts about what I referred to as Gabbert's "hitch" in his throwing was just something that simply didn't look right. 

When you watch Bortles, he really does look like he belongs at this level. Dare I say "he passes the eye test"?? B)

I don't want to jump the gun, but I think the Texans might just regret not taking this guy at 1, down the road. 

JUst gotta keep him healthy. Thats the key. 

Impression from the Bucs game:

1. HOW IN THE HECK IS MIKE BROWN STILL ON THIS TEAM!?

Quote:Impression from the Bucs game:

1. HOW IN THE HECK IS MIKE BROWN STILL ON THIS TEAM!?

Impressions from your post: 

paint chips ingested

Brown played well last year. Don't make too much out of one bad game yet. 

aww you're mad from proving you wrong in the other thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4