Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texans cut another 2013 draft pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick</a>

Quote:Today the Texans cut Trevardo Williams, a linebacker chosen in the fourth round of last year’s draft. Williams spent the 2013 season on injured reserve, and after passing a physical yesterday, he lost his job today.

The Texans had two third-round picks in last year’s draft, and both of them are already gone: Brennan Williams was waived with a failed physical last month, while Sam Montgomery was cut last season for a violation of team rules.

Throw in the fact that the Texans have already waived-injured 2013 sixth-round pick Allan Bonner and cut fellow sixth-round pick Chris Jones after training camp last year, and Houston is already without most of the guys it drafted in 2013. Although 2013 first-round pick DeAndre Hopkins and 2013 second-round pick D.J. Swearinger are starters, most of that Texans draft is a big disappointment. G.M. Rick Smith has to be shaking his head at how that draft turned out.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick</a>

Sounds a lot like the Gene Smith years around here.
Rounds 1-3...bad decision.  4-7...eh.

Quote:Sounds a lot like the Gene Smith years around here.

It sure does and LOL.
I remember liking that guy in the draft. Good thing Caldwell ignored my emails.

Swearinger looked lost as a rookie, wouldn't be surprised if he turns up bust as well. The Texans are well on their way to making Jacksonville's 2008 draft look good.

Quote:I remember liking that guy in the draft. Good thing Caldwell ignored my emails.

I still like him, and wouldn't at all mind the Jags bringing him in for a look at the Otto.   He's a heck of an athlete, was incredibly productive in college and had 3.5 sacks in his rookie preseason before hurting his ankle.    Sounds   like a new coaching staff and front office wanting to get rid of the old regime's pets to clear the way for their own guys.    Also never helps a young player when a team drafts a generational talent like Jadaveon Clowney at your position.  

How soon til they cut Clowney?
Trevardo was a monster at UConn. Hope he can catch on somewhere.
Do any of you guys think these players that got dropped have any value?

I always thought the Jags should look at Brennan Williams.

I'm pretty sure a big part of that is O'Brien just wanting HIS guys to play for him, but to have this many players cut from last years draft class is very alarming for the Texans.
Quote:I'm pretty sure a big part of that is O'Brien just wanting HIS guys to play for him, but to have this many players cut from last years draft class is very alarming for the Texans.

Not alarming to us as Jaguar fans, is that the guy who made those picks is still GM in Houston.
Quote:Not alarming to us as Jaguar fans, is that the guy who made those picks is still GM in Houston.

good point.

they're definitely not getting better.
He got claimed off waivers by the Arizona Cardinals.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/texans-cut-another-2013-draft-pick</a>

WoW how did this team self implode so quickly?  We (jaguar fans) know how quickly a team can fail with several misses in the draft (especially if they allow it to continue for  several of years).
Quote:WoW how did this team self implode so quickly?  We (jaguar fans) know how quickly a team can fail with several misses in the draft (especially if they allow it to continue for  several of years).

Their problem is they don't have, and never have had, a winning level QB.

That's why it took the absolute demise of every other team in the division for them to rise to the top, but it was illusory. They were never as good as they seemed to be in 2011 and 2012, they were beating up on a super weak division and folding like a cheap tent as soon as they faced a team with an elite level QB.

Still, they can be better than they were last year, but without a QB even with an elite level defense you end up around .500 in today's NFL unless you're getting to feast on the Jaguars, titans, and colts (without Luck or Manning) 6 times a year.

So why didnt they draft Bortles with the 1st overall?

Quote:So why didnt they draft Bortles with the 1st overall?

Probably because they didn't feel as confident in him as Caldwell did.

edit: plus they probably are thinking in the "win now" mindframe that a lot of guys with a lot of years of failure start thinking.

When the thought process is "even if a guy is good, it'll take years for it to pan out, I'll be fired by then" you get guys taking the player who they think can have the more immediate impact.

It's a losing way of thinking, and any GM thinking like that should already be fired. It's why Caldwell should always be thinking about future value in every move he makes, not how much impact someone has in the current season.

Like Vic used to say, take care of the future, and the future will take care of the present.

Quote:So why didnt they draft Bortles with the 1st overall?

Hard to pass up a guy like Clowney.  Guy is an athletic freak and I'm sure they had a talk with JJ Watt (who they may be worried to losing in free agency) to coach the guy up and show him what a good work ethic looks like.
Quote:Hard to pass up a guy like Clowney.  Guy is an athletic freak and I'm sure they had a talk with JJ Watt (who they may be worried to losing in free agency) to coach the guy up and show him what a good work ethic looks like.
Ask the Dolphins back in 2008 who they'd rather take in hindsight. It was hard to pass up Jake Long, a generational talent at Left Tackle which as a position was at the highest of premiums with "The Blind Side" taking over popular culture at the time. And while he's still a good player in his own right (not on the Dolphins roster anymore though), letting the QB fall to #3 overall looks pretty bad now, and the Falcons cashed in on that in a BIG way. The Fins would've been much better off drafting Matt Ryan; and I think the Texans would've been better of drafting Bortles rather than trying to force Clowney into a scheme that doesn't fit his once in a generation type skill set. If Clowney isn't otherworldly on the level of JJ Watt, and Bortles pans out to be even an above average starter (makes it to the playoffs a few times) I could see hindsight looking like a whole different picture. 

The thing with a QB is that if you have a chance to take one, regardless of if you "NEED" one, take him because you don't know when the next time will come around that you'll get to draft one. If you dont, you could end up paying a King's ransom trying to procure one. Clowney has the potential to improve the defense enough to get them out of the cellar and have them draft outside the top 10, the problem becomes though: they're good enough to win games, but not good enough to win a championship without "the guy" at QB, and because the roster is talented enough to win, they wont be bad enough in a given year to have the chance to draft a marquee guy.
Pages: 1 2