Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The one player every NFL team must re-sign this offseason : Jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If Tom Coughlin becomes the next Jaguars HC,  the chances the team re-signing Prince Amukamara appear that much greater.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-...p#image=16

Jacksonville Jaguars: Prince Amukamara, CB

<div>Amukamara showed that he can remain relatively healthy this season, missing just two games early on. Though he doesn’t have an interception, he’s had a good season in Jacksonville and has earned another contract. The Jaguars have a ton of cap space and not a lot of high-priority free agents, so Amukamara is the obvious choice here. He and Jalen Ramsey can be a good duo in the secondary.
</div>

Agreed, he's a very good CB2 for us. Looks like another prove-it deal from Dave that'll pan out.

Quote:Agreed, he's a very good CB2 for us. Looks like another prove-it deal from Dave that'll pan out.

If you took a guess,  what type of contract terms do you believe it will take to get Prince Amukamara to sign a multi-year contract with the Jaguars?
I'd absolutely love for Prince to get a new contract.

He isn't a star (few are), but as a #2 he's good. He probably wont wow you much and he'll definitely get beat a time, or two. That's just this day and age of NFL football though. Everybody is going to get beat eventually, regardless of just how great they are.

I don't believe he'd demand a huge contract, but a modest contract over maybe 3 years? Give or take.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/cornerback/

The above link shows the current average salary for CBs this year. Josh Norman being the highest at $15m. Jimmy Smith for the Ravens is #10 on the list at just shy of $10.3m

Chris Harris and Kareem Jackson come in at #19, with $8.5m

Prince is currently #32 on the list, making $5.5m this year.

That link gives you a full list of what the CBs are making this year. I just posted a couple quick ones for arguments sake.

My guess would be something in the $7-10m per year range?
Quote: If you took a guess,  what type of contract terms do you believe it will take to get Prince Amukamara to sign a multi-year contract with the Jaguars?

After a quick check at the 2017 free agent corner list, there aren't many good young corners scheduled to hit free agency, so I think his value will be inflated a bit more than usual. I'd guess an AAV somewhere in the neighborhood of $6.5-8million, perhaps a 4 year $30million deal. I don't think his injury history will play a big factor on the years or total dollar value, but will on the guaranteed money.
He isn't amazing, but a good player for CB2. Don't feel comfortable giving him a big contract though. If we cut useless players then I'll be okay with it. 6mil, 4 years?
Quote:I'd absolutely love for Prince to get a new contract.

He isn't a star (few are), but as a #2 he's good. He probably wont wow you much and he'll definitely get beat a time, or two. That's just this day and age of NFL football though. Everybody is going to get beat eventually, regardless of just how great they are.

I don't believe he'd demand a huge contract, but a modest contract over maybe 3 years? Give or take.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/cornerback/'>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/cornerback/</a>

The above link shows the current average salary for CBs this year. Josh Norman being the highest at $15m. Jimmy Smith for the Ravens is #10 on the list at just shy of $10.3m

Chris Harris and Kareem Jackson come in at #19, with $8.5m

Prince is currently #32 on the list, making $5.5m this year.

That link gives you a full list of what the CBs are making this year. I just posted a couple quick ones for arguments sake.

My guess would be something in the $7-10m per year range?

100% with you. Prince is a very solid player. Nice veteran to have in the secondary. Dave and co. better pay him.
Quote:He isn't amazing, but a good player for CB2. Don't feel comfortable giving him a big contract though. If we cut useless players then I'll be okay with it. 6mil, 4 years?
The salary cap keeps increasing every year and players are getting paid more every year because of it.

Add that into the fact that Prince will probably be the top CB on the market this off season. I don't see how $6m per year, over 4 years is going to sign him unless it's all 100% guaranteed. Or he truly really loves it here and wants to stay here.

I can see him getting at least $8m a year somewhere else, easy honestly.
I agree. Prince needs to be re-signed.

Quote:The salary cap keeps increasing every year and players are getting paid more every year because of it.

Add that into the fact that Prince will probably be the top CB on the market this off season. I don't see how $6m per year, over 4 years is going to sign him unless it's all 100% guaranteed. Or he truly really loves it here and wants to stay here.

I can see him getting at least $8m a year somewhere else, easy honestly.

For someone that has a track record of getting hurt a lot, I really don't see how he can demand 32mil after playing just 14 games. I agree though, another team will throw a ton at him just because they're desperate for a CB. We'll have to overpay to keep him.
Id rather resign Prince than Cyp
Quote:For someone that has a track record of getting hurt a lot, I really don't see how he can demand 32mil after playing just 14 games. I agree though, another team will throw a ton at him just because they're desperate for a CB. We'll have to overpay to keep him.
That's just 2 games missed though.

Yea, we all want to see them out there for at least all 16 games every season, but him missing 2 games shouldn't ruin any team's chances to win 1 or 2 games during that stretch.

I know he has had some injury issues in the past, but I'd much rather see them dump House. Throw the money they save from cutting him at Prince and maybe then some extra. I can't remember the exact number they'd save from cutting House, but isn't it like $3-5m??

I'm not really disagreeing with you at all, as I'd love if they could lock up Prince for 4 years at $6m per year. I just honestly don't see how he doesn't get at least $7-8m per year on the open market. This is not a strong CB FA class at all.
Quote:He isn't amazing, but a good player for CB2. Don't feel comfortable giving him a big contract though. If we cut useless players then I'll be okay with it. 6mil, 4 years?

You figure House and his $6million+ per year contract is getting cut, so a deal for Prince shouldn't add much to the cap.

It's crazy how bad House fell off. I'd resign Amukamura for sure.
Quote:You figure House and his $6million+ per year contract is getting cut, so a deal for Prince shouldn't add much to the cap.
Right, I'd be happy with doing that. House is such a waste of money.
Quote:That's just 2 games missed though.

Yea, we all want to see them out there for at least all 16 games every season, but him missing 2 games shouldn't ruin any team's chances to win 1 or 2 games during that stretch.

I know he has had some injury issues in the past, but I'd much rather see them dump House. Throw the money they save from cutting him at Prince and maybe then some extra. I can't remember the exact number they'd save from cutting House, but isn't it like $3-5m??

I'm not really disagreeing with you at all, as I'd love if they could lock up Prince for 4 years at $6m per year. I just honestly don't see how he doesn't get at least $7-8m per year on the open market. This is not a strong CB FA class at all.
Yeah, that's just the cheapness in me talking haha. The FA market will inflate players' contracts no matter what, so he definitely deserves $8-9mil - especially since we're cutting dead weight House.

Quote:Yeah, that's just the cheapness in me talking haha. The FA market will inflate players' contracts no matter what, so he definitely deserves $8-9mil - especially since we're cutting dead weight House.
Definitely.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see them throw the big $$$$$ book at Prince, but I'd like to see them throw a generous amount at him. Ramsey, Prince and Colvin on the inside, they make up a very good CB trio.

We'd all love for them to lock up Prince on a home town discount, but I wouldn't be upset if they over paid him a little bit just to keep that trio together.

I know there's other guys that need to be paid this off season, but having 3 absolutely solid/good+ CBs is huge in this pass happy NFL.

You lock them up and the secondary is basically set. Besides Cyp of course, but I don't think he'll demand a high priced contract regardless.

Either way, Sample and Jarrod Wilson are in place at SS. As well as a possible draft selection.

Cyp has been solid at the SS position, but he's no game breaker.

Maybe they like Sample, or Wilson. Maybe they want Cyp back (I wouldn't be upset depending on the contract). Maybe they don't fully believe in any of those three and draft somebody new.

Regardless, the SS position is going to be an interesting one to watch during this off season.
Did I watch the same games as everyone else. I felt that those 4 yr vets Prince and Gipson were both scrubs they both ran into each other costing us turnovers. Giving up plays for big yards or 1st downs. Cyprien can at least come up and close gaps and tackle. If you want to keep them fine but not worth anymore money that what they make now. Made no outstanding impact. I will give them maybe new scheme and will be better next year but no more money until prove they are worth more. Just like an average job and raise. 

We have a top 5 pass defense this year with a very inconsistent pass rush. We rarely get beat by big plays like we have for the last decade.

Gipson and Amukamara are definitely not scrubs. Gipson hasnt been what we hoped but hes been solid.
You mean it's NOT Denard?
Pages: 1 2