Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles (UCF vs LOU) on ESPNU now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
#8 best cfb game of the year

Will be neat to watch the game again in entirety.
Calvin Pryor hit on #9... ouch
Oh ya, Storm Johnson also on display
And Damien Copeland too right?
Quote:And Damien Copeland too right?

Oh ya, Lou guy
Fantastic game. Those that haven't seen it are in for a treat.

Ps thanks for the heads up.
I watched it again and recorded it.  While I agree with the Jags trying to improve Blake's footwork, his game is enhanced with his abilty to extend plays which he is able to do by stepping up in the pocket and scrambling around (a la Big Ben).  He has pretty good pocket presence.  I think Blake took a step back in training camp in order to take 2 steps forward in the future.  Ultimately, he's a gamer so I think we'll be fine.  Going to be interesting to see how Teddy's body holds up in the NFC North.

Taking off your teal glasses as much as possible, which QB would you rather have from that game? Bortles or Bridgewater? And why?

I like Bridgewater because of the accuracy. With the smaller passing windows in the NFL that accuracy will be key and while I'm hopeful for Bortles someday becoming great, I'm more confident that barring injury, Bridgewater will have success.

Quote:Taking off your teal glasses as much as possible, which QB would you rather have from that game? Bortles or Bridgewater? And why?

I like Bridgewater because of the accuracy. With the smaller passing windows in the NFL that accuracy will be key and while I'm hopeful for Bortles someday becoming great, I'm more confident that barring injury, Bridgewater will have success.

That's a good question.  I'm a realist so I try to see things independent of the Jags.  That said, I'm still sticking with Bortles because he (unconventionally) gets it done.  I think I'm swayed by the fact that I also watched his comeback vs SMU in 0 degree weather late in the year --- just something about his poise and knowing when to switch it into high gear when their backs are against the wall.

Funny thing is during that game .... we all were on another thread discussing the game (and Bridgewater) and somewhere within one of the threads I made a statement that "we were watching the wrong guy" -- I got blasted for that remark.

Quote:Taking off your teal glasses as much as possible, which QB would you rather have from that game? Bortles or Bridgewater? And why?

Even before we drafted him Bortles was my guy with Bridgewater as a close 2nd.

Because he can do it all, hes not the fastest QB but hes fast enough to create with his feet and whether hes throwing from the pocket or on the run he's accurate and even when his mechanics (while theyre not as polished as TBs) are disrupted he can still make accurate passes.
I'll be honest, when I was breaking down this game for a Teddy write-up, I completely disregarded Blake (symptomatic of my entire pre-draft opinion of him, I admit). If anything, I rooted against him. After going back and watching all of his games again several times, the one thing that stands out to me about Blake, above everything else, is his intangibles. He can throw a pick one play and a fantastic ball the next. He can lead his (severely overmatched team) on game-winning drives against Louisville and Baylor without batting an eye. He has the tools, he is being trained, but he also has the elusive "it" factor. And I think that's why we drafted him.

Quote:Even before we drafted him Bortles was my guy with Bridgewater as a close 2nd.

Because he can do it all, hes not the fastest QB but hes fast enough to create with his feet and whether hes throwing from the pocket or on the run he's accurate and even when his mechanics (while theyre not as polished as TBs) are disrupted he can still make accurate passes.

What I find most intersting is the fact that Bridgewater was never in the Houston plans for the #1 pick.  It was always Bortles and Clowney.  Wonder why they excluded Bridgewater so quickly -- size?  arm strength?   they have the same size hands so that's not it.
At the time I would have picked Bridgewater who will ultimately be a good NFL QB but in retrospect, seems clear that Bortles has more upside.
The Jags liked Bortles for two reasons over Teddy.  One, he's a gamer.  He was down 3 touchdowns against Teddy's #8 Louisville on the road in the 3rd quarter and came back to beat them. He beat #6 Baylor (the largest favorite in BCS history by 17 points) handily. Two, he's 6'5" 235 pounds.  That goes a long way in the NFL.  The QBs playing 10-15 years in the league are big and that's no coincidence (Peyton, Big Ben, Brady).  How many 6'0" 200lb RGIII/Teddy Bs/Johnny Football are still playing 10-15 years after they were drafted? Drew Brees is about the only one I can think of.

Quote:I'll be honest, when I was breaking down this game for a Teddy write-up, I completely disregarded Blake (symptomatic of my entire pre-draft opinion of him, I admit). If anything, I rooted against him. After going back and watching all of his games again several times, the one thing that stands out to me about Blake, above everything else, is his intangibles. He can throw a pick one play and a fantastic ball the next. He can lead his (severely overmatched team) on game-winning drives against Louisville and Baylor without batting an eye. He has the tools, he is being trained, but he also has the elusive "it" factor. And I think that's why we drafted him.

Severely overmatched? This wasn't Alabama V Idaho. Louisville and UCF were pretty evenly matched IMO.
Quote:Severely overmatched? This wasn't Alabama V Idaho. Louisville and UCF were pretty evenly matched IMO.

I agree with this. Louisvilles defense was probably a little better though
Quote:That's a good question.  I'm a realist so I try to see things independent of the Jags.  That said, I'm still sticking with Bortles because he (unconventionally) gets it done.  I think I'm swayed by the fact that I also watched his comeback vs SMU in 0 degree weather late in the year --- just something about his poise and knowing when to switch it into high gear when their backs are against the wall.

Funny thing is during that game .... we all were on another thread discussing the game (and Bridgewater) and somewhere within one of the threads I made a statement that "we were watching the wrong guy" -- I got blasted for that remark.
What most people don't know about the SMU game is that UCF was down 10-3 at the half with the Florida weather offense looking like garbage in the 10 degree weather.  UCF let Blake call the plays on the field in the second half and he led the offense for 2 TDs to win the game.
Quote:The Jags liked Bortles for two reasons over Teddy. One, he's a gamer. He was down 3 touchdowns against Teddy's #8 Louisville on the road in the 3rd quarter and came back to beat them. He beat #6 Baylor (the largest favorite in BCS history by 17 points) handily. Two, he's 6'5" 235 pounds. That goes a long way in the NFL. The QBs playing 10-15 years in the league are big and that's no coincidence (Peyton, Big Ben, Brady). How many 6'0" 200lb RGIII/Teddy [BAD WORD REMOVED]/Johnny Football are still playing 10-15 years after they were drafted? Drew Brees is about the only one I can think of.

I didn't know RGIII and Bridgewater shrunk. They should probably see a doctor...
Nice editorial from Oehser for those who haven't seen it:

An argument also could be made that there’s not a whole lot to not like about Bortles right now. Is he a work in progress? Yes. Does he remain the backup and therefore the starter-in-waiting?

The answer there is yes, too.

But to hear Fisch and others around the Jaguars tell it, all indications are when the work is complete, the results could be well worth the wait.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Edit...08f33a9e62

Quote:That's a good question.  I'm a realist so I try to see things independent of the Jags.  That said, I'm still sticking with Bortles because he (unconventionally) gets it done.  I think I'm swayed by the fact that I also watched his comeback vs SMU in 0 degree weather late in the year --- just something about his poise and knowing when to switch it into high gear when their backs are against the wall.

Watch Blake's game winning touchdown passes vs Temple and USF. I was at the USF game and Blake had a horrible game. But, he got it done in the end making a big time throw. The game winner against Temple was arguably the play of the year.
Pages: 1 2