Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jax Business Journal - First Look at Khan's Potential Shipyards Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looks like a great plan, which means we can all rest assured the City of Jacksonville will use every tool at its disposal to thwart it.

Quote:Looks like a great plan, which means we can all rest assured the City of Jacksonville will use every tool at its disposal to thwart it.

I would normally agree, but I really think that Shad Khan has the city's ear in a way that no one else has in decades.

Rightfully so too.

It's clear from everything that Khan has done, especially Saturday night's event, that he genuinely gets it and has a vision for Jacksonville far greater than that of our bumbling local politicians.
A ferris wheel?!?!?!?

Quote:http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/...plans.html

I'm not sure that is actually Khan's plan.   The article said it was done for Khan, but it doesn't say Khan has endorsed it or that he thinks it's the best plan.  It sounded like maybe Khan had asked for ideas, and this idea was presented to him.  
Quote:A ferris wheel?!?!?!?

I'm thinking an observation wheel like the London Eye. 
Quote:I would normally agree, but I really think that Shad Khan has the city's ear in a way that no one else has in decades.

Rightfully so too.

It's clear from everything that Khan has done, especially Saturday night's event, that he genuinely gets it and has a vision for Jacksonville far greater than that of our bumbling local politicians.

I think you're right but I'm going to expect some form of idiocy to flow out of City Hall before Khan's plan is finalized.
Quote:Looks like a great plan, which means we can all rest assured the City of Jacksonville will use every tool at its disposal to thwart it.

I think after Saturday night's event where they unveiled the scoreboards, Khan is unstoppable.  He has the public behind him. 
Quote:I'm thinking an observation wheel like the London Eye. 

That's what I was thinking.
Quote:I think you're right but I'm going to expect some form of idiocy to flow out of City Hall before Khan's plan is finalized.

Oh, no doubt. 
Does anyone remember the story in the T-U about a year ago which profiled a plan by some developers to build a sail shaped skyscraper with accompanying museum/retail/whatever at the Shipyards?  The idea was to make Jacksonville more visible from the highway and to invite folks to stop.  I though it was an idea worth exploring and haven't seen anything about it since.  Of course the T-U commenters were out in force complaining about it.

Quote:I'm not sure that is actually Khan's plan.   The article said it was done for Khan, but it doesn't say Khan has endorsed it or that he thinks it's the best plan.  It sounded like maybe Khan had asked for ideas, and this idea was presented to him.  

Definitely a possibility. And, of course, the city still needs to issue an RFP for the Shipywards property before anyone can develop it.
The ferris wheel is a little hokey but overall, not bad.

Said it before, Khan is the man with a big vision that will make downtown a destination.

Quote:The ferris wheel is a little hokey but overall, not bad.

I don't know if its hokey or not.  I think its going to be one of those "worlds largest" or "largest in the US" type things. 

it would bring families down there too.

Nothing The Stache does can be considered hokey.
Quote:Does anyone remember the story in the T-U about a year ago which profiled a plan by some developers to build a sail shaped skyscraper with accompanying museum/retail/whatever at the Shipyards?  The idea was to make Jacksonville more visible from the highway and to invite folks to stop.  I though it was an idea worth exploring and haven't seen anything about it since.  Of course the T-U commenters were out in force complaining about it.

You're thinking of the Seaglass Tower. Cool concept, but super pie-in-the-sky. I believe the developer proposed that the Police and Fire pension fund purchase the land and then forfeit it to them in exchange for some undefined "cut of future proceeds." That plan also included a new convention center, world-class aquarium, mall, new hotels, condos, parking garages, docked Naval Ships, and perhaps a free bridge on the moon Smile

The small amusement area (with ferris wheel) that was constantly shown during the last leg of the Tour de France in Paris Sunday certainly added to the charm of the neighborhood. I think it's a nice idea.
Quote:I'm not sure that is actually Khan's plan.   The article said it was done for Khan, but it doesn't say Khan has endorsed it or that he thinks it's the best plan.  It sounded like maybe Khan had asked for ideas, and this idea was presented to him.  
It sounds like Khan paid to have this rendering done. I'd say if his money is footing the bill, he's endorsing it. 
Seaglass is a tremendous idea . Ferris wheels are so tired and overdone.

I really like the football stadium in the center of the shipyards which can host multiple football outings or Khan's future MLS team.

Bottom line is we need something iconic and about 1000 feet tall. Combine with aquarium and naval museum right next to Jags indoor practice facility.
Pages: 1 2