Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell comments on Blackmon situation & other stuff in 1010XL interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dave Caldwell is on with 1010XL, and he was asked directly about the Justin Blackmon situation.

He said it's very much a hands-off situation right now, and that he's not expecting anything from Blackmon this year. 

Nothing earth shattering, but it is clear they don't expect to see him playing this season. 

A few other notes:

He doesn't like the way the schedule is laid out with so many away games early in the season for the second year in a row.  He actually contacted the league about it to express his displeasure. 

Henne is the starter.  Bortles is going to get a lot of action during the preseason, particularly in that final preseason game. 

At this point, they don't expect any players they sign to be starters, but more role players. 

He defines improvement this year as being more competitive on the field.  80% of NFL games are determined by 1 TD or less according to Caldwell, and the expectation this year is that the team will play games much closer than what they did last year.  If they are within 1 score late in games, then it becomes a matter of learning how to win.  As the team matures, those close games will become wins. 

He talked about how the offense has to get better this year.  He pointed out that the defense actually played well, especially late in the season last year.  The problem was, they were usually put into impossible situations because the offense wasn't extending drives, and had way too many 3 and outs. 

They love Gerhart.  They feel like he's a guy who is the ultimate pro on and off the field.  Caldwell pointed out that he has always been productive, whether he's getting 4 carries or 40.  He's a tough guy who will take whatever they throw at him.

I see his point about lots of away games at the beginning of the season, but Dave also isn't sitting out in the scorching heat with us either watching the great teal debacle... I don't mind having more late season cooler weather meaning full home games.

Quote:I see his point about lots of away games at the beginning of the season, but Dave also isn't sitting out in the scorching heat with us either watching the great teal debacle... I don't mind having more late season cooler weather meaning full home games.

was thinking this same thing as I was reading. It is downright miserable in the stadium for those 1:00 kickoffs in the middle of September. I think the league recognized that and was doing the fans and even the team a bit of a favor.
its been reported he was arrested... again

Quote: ...the offense wasn't extending drives, and had way too many 3 and outs. 

They love Gerhart.  They feel like he's a guy who is the ultimate pro on and off the field. 

Problem and solution in there...

I got big plans for Gerhart.

Not a fan of the 1pm games, so the league did us a favor.

Quote:its been reported he was arrested... again

And Dave's comments this morning hold true.  They're not expecting anything from Blackmon this year.  Now he can add "or beyond" to that comment. 
Quote:And Dave's comments this morning hold true. They're not expecting anything from Blackmon this year. Now he can add "or beyond" to that comment.

I don't know all the details of his contract but I hope they can recoup some of the money they've paid him. I know the Jags had built in some protections but it would at least be partially symbolic if they could.
Quote:I don't know all the details of his contract but I hope they can recoup some of the money they've paid him. I know the Jags had built in some protections but it would at least be partially symbolic if they could.
I don't know all of the details, but there were reports indicating there was wording put into the contract allowing them to pursue any guaranteed money that wasn't earned. 
Quote:I don't know all the details of his contract but I hope they can recoup some of the money they've paid him. I know the Jags had built in some protections but it would at least be partially symbolic if they could.

As if the junkie has any money that hasn't been boozed or smoked away left to recoup.
Quote:I see his point about lots of away games at the beginning of the season, but Dave also isn't sitting out in the scorching heat with us either watching the great teal debacle... I don't mind having more late season cooler weather meaning full home games.

Yes, but when they utilize the early season home field advantage properly, i.e. wearing white at home/ forcing opponents to wear dark or black, it indeed can be a distinct advantage. 

There are instances in the past over the years like vs Seattle/ Pittsburgh/ etc etc where that indeed could be pointed to for those teams wearing down and Jax winning those games. 
lol @ meaningful games :teehee:

Quote:Yes, but when they utilize the early season home field advantage properly, i.e. wearing white at home/ forcing opponents to wear dark or black, it indeed can be a distinct advantage. 

There are instances in the past over the years like vs Seattle/ Pittsburgh/ etc etc where that indeed could be pointed to for those teams wearing down and Jax winning those games. 

They Eagles games comes to mind... McNabb pucked all over his Centers back...LOL...
Quote:As if the junkie has any money that hasn't been boozed or smoked away left to recoup.

Do you have any idea how much weed you can buy for a million dollars?
Quote:As if the junkie has any money that hasn't been boozed or smoked away left to recoup.

Stop hating like a jilted girlfriend.  Blackmon is apparently an addict, which has nothing to do with whether he's a bad guy or not.
Quote:Stop hating like a jilted girlfriend.  Blackmon is apparently an addict, which has nothing to do with whether he's a bad guy or not.
Agreed.  I don't think it's ever been implied that he's a bad guy.  He's just a guy with a real problem. 

Hey - we get it. You're Mr. High and Mighty, the King of the Self-Righteous.
Forgetaboutit....this is 2014 and he wasn't playin' anyway.

Go Jags!