Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Plan B ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm delighted the Jaguars seem to be going with a running game with Gerhart at he heart of it. It's the sort of brutal football I like to see and Gerhart (from what I have seen of him) is ideally equipped to get it done.

But what happens if Gerhart goes down injured in game one ?

While the other backs are exciting in their own way, none of them look capable of large numbers of carries week-in week-out.

So, do we soldier on with the running game, because that's what we've been preparing for ?

or switch to an altogether different style of play ?
Don't worry about the running game.... it's won't be effective until WR's start getting open, catching balls, making moves, and scoring touchdowns..... Just as opposing defenses did last year, they will load the box and force a low end QB to beat them.

Quote:I'm delighted the Jaguars seem to be going with a running game with Gerhart at he heart of it. It's the sort of brutal football I like to see and Gerhart (from what I have seen of him) is ideally equipped to get it done.

While the other backs are exciting in their own way, none of them look capable of large numbers of carries week-in week-out.

So, do we soldier on with the running game, because that's what we've been preparing for ?

They're not going to switch things up dramatically mid-stream if Gerehart is injured, IMO.  There may be some minor adjustments, but the expectations are that the next guy needs to step up and fill a role. 

The goal according to Fisch is a balanced attack.  That's not going to change if 1 guy is down with injuries.

There would be no need to change the plan in your scenario.  The remaining backs of Todman, Robinson, and Johnson can platoon and handle the load.

Quote:I'm delighted the Jaguars seem to be going with a running game with Gerhart at he heart of it. It's the sort of brutal football I like to see and Gerhart (from what I have seen of him) is ideally equipped to get it done.

Not sure why you're so delighted about that.  It's just another reminder that Chad Henne throwing to rookie WRs is where the roster is at right now.   I think all teams want that back they can rely on, but that guy can't be your feature player if you're looking for any real success in the NFL.  
I don't think it'd change the gameplan much unless Robinson, Todman, Johnson just don't get it done on the ground
In Todman's only game as the bellcow he had 25 carries for 109 yds and 4 receptions for 44 yds.

I'd say he's a capable back-up - especially with D-Rob/Johnson prepared for a committee situation if need be.

Storm is a gamer. He'll make things happen.
That gameplan only works if had O line is capable of doing their job better than they have in the recent past.
They can really use a veteran WR...not sure who is still a FA.  Santonio Holmes has had injury problems, but is healthy and still unsigned. Has been a diva at times, but his clock is ticking. He may be a good bridge to the young guys this season.  Like David4499 said, teams will just load the box.  

If anything, we can always just skip to Plan C

[Image: LesnarViking69_220.jpg]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tongue

Quote:If anything, we can always just skip to Plan C

[Image: LesnarViking69_220.jpg]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tongue
The beast incarnate....the man who put an end to the streak!  A Paul Heyman guy!
Plan B in that situation is named Storm Johnson. I think he was a huge steal in round 7 and he has just as much if not more potential than gerhart.
Plan "C"   -    Reposition the tarps over the field and just fill the stadium on Sunday to watch other games.