Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What Are The Things You'll Be Looking At During Training Camp?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With training camp beginning in a couple days, what are some of the things you're most looking forward to seeing? Positional battles, certain players, or how entire groups look?

For me, I want to see how the new O-line will look. I want to see how the FAs and rookies look as well. Finally, I want to see how the LB corps looks.

What are the things you'll be paying close attention to?

The QB competition is going to be the most watched in training camp.  The way the O Line gels during camp will be something to focus on. 

In this order

1. Blake's progress

2. The entire D, young DBs mostly.

3. Oline

4. WRs

5. The backup running back battle

Quote:In this order

1. Blake's progress

3. Oline

4. WRs

I'm of a similar mind.

Blake

Pass Rush (in preseason games)

New look O-line

DB's (hoping a FS steps up)

WRs  (Ace's growth, rookies learning curve, battle for 5th spot)

D-Rob's development

For me it's the o-line. There are question marks along every position:

- Is Joeckel back and healthy? And is there still a learning curve for him?

- Is Beadles a good fit for the scheme and worth the price paid for him?

- Can Brewster prove he is worth starting this season? There is a reason that Caldwell pursued Alex Mack...

- Who is going to win the starting RG position, McClendon or Linder? Are either of them even capable of starting long-term?

- Can Pasztor build off what he accomplished last year?
First post here.  I've been following UCF for a long time and now on the Jags wagon with Bortles on the team.  My guess is you will see more of the same from mini camp...up and down as he adjusts to the speed in the NFL.  Henne will be consistent given his experience and will "win" the job.  You won't see what he can do until the lights come on in games that matter.  That's when Bortles shines...climbing the pocket when its breaking down, eluding tacklers with his size and hitting receivers downfield.  He will succeed in the NFL because he's a cool cat (never too high or low).  His best games were against the best competition (South Carolina, Baylor, Penn State, Louisville).  I wouldn't look for him to own training camp but he will shine when he gets his chance to play consistently in real game situations.

Welcome to the board Rooster...I hope you are right with Bortles

Thanks duece. I plan to visit the board a lot and hope to make it up for a few games from Orlando this year.  As for Bortles, I don't want to come across as a homer.  He just has that clutch/"IT" factor that you can't teach when it matters.  I will be very surprised if he doesn't succeed.

1. Blake's progress

.....position battles between:

2. Brewster vs Bowanko

3. Guy vs Evans

4. Hurns vs Brown vs Doss vs Taylor
I want to see Lee and Shorts get through camp healthy and ready to play when the season starts.  

Aside from Blake and the rookies,how Gerhart and Denard Robinson looks

I will be all over Gerhart and the OL for sure. Also how our DL is coming around.

Quote:1. Blake's progress

.....position battles between:

2. Brewster vs Bowanko

3. Guy vs Evans

4. Hurns vs Brown vs Doss vs Taylor

Ive been saying ..... Don't sleep on Copeland
If you're just asking about camp, I don't think you'll get much out of watching the OL or DL. You really need to see the team play against others to gauge the more physical parts of the game.

Watching the receivers is more meaningful, especially in non-contact drills. You still get to see how well they run their routes, as well as their hands and catch radius. That should be especially interesting this year with two high draft picks and competition for Sanders spot (at least for the first four games). Watching CB play and LBs in coverage is the flip side of this.

The QB play should be uninteresting this year. Henne is Henne, and Bortles is expected to sit a year while he fixes some of bad habits. Next year will be the time to evaluate Bortles.

Quote:Ive been saying ..... Don't sleep on Copeland

I'm not. But I've been to a few of the open practices and the bottom of the roster WRs that stood out to me are the ones I listed in order. Copeland seems to be a good player to make the practice squad.
Quote:In this order

1. Blake's progress

3. Oline

4. WRs

About the same, throw in defensive line ups with the additions somewhere near the bottom.
O-Line