Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fisch to imply the Jaguars to have a run heavy offense.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the talk of Bortles and the 2 second round wide receivers you would think the Jags plan on airing it out this year.  On the contrary it's seems the Jaguars will rely on the running game more than the pass.  Interesting

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...or-jaguars

I would think so. Rookie receivers take time and so do rookie quarterbacks, plus Toby is a feature back.

Nothing in either article screams "run-heavy" to me. It implies that Gerhart will be the first option regardless of down, but I don't read where it says or suggests being run-heavy.

BREAKING NEWS:

The Jaguars will hand the ball off to Toby Gerhart

Running the ball and running good opens up a lot of possibilities on offense... now the Jags have some good WR's it should help the passing game... but the key to the whole thing is still running the ball good...
Quote:With the talk of Bortles and the 2 second round wide receivers you would think the Jags plan on airing it out this year. On the contrary it's seems the Jaguars will rely on the running game more than the pass. Interesting

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366227/article/toby-gerhart-will-be-workhorse-for-jaguars'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366227/article/toby-gerhart-will-be-workhorse-for-jaguars</a>
Did you actually read the article? The title of this thread says no.

He didn't imply anything in this article other than the fact that Gerhart is the primary back, and will be pretty much an every down back.

Fisch's has said in several other interviews that the offense will lean more towards the run, but only slightly. This is no earth shattering secret.
"Run heavy" means we still can't pass the ball. Shocker!!!

Quote:With the talk of Bortles and the 2 second round wide receivers you would think the Jags plan on airing it out this year. On the contrary it's seems the Jaguars will rely on the running game more than the pass. Interesting

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366227/article/toby-gerhart-will-be-workhorse-for-jaguars'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366227/article/toby-gerhart-will-be-workhorse-for-jaguars</a>

This is news how? Bottles won't be playing this year, it takes some time for rookie WRs to become reliable pass catchers , and Chad Henne is our QB.

You were expecting something different ?
Quote:This is news how? Bottles won't be playing this year, it takes some time for rookie WRs to become reliable pass catchers , and Chad Henne is our QB.

You were expecting something different ?

But, but, run heavy. Run. Heavy.
Our inability to throw the ball goes hand-in-hand with our inability to run the ball.  Last year we sucked at both.  The end result was that other teams would tighten up for the first two downs and in a long 3rd down situation would expect our pass before we even came out of the huddle.  When you can run the ball, the defense has to step up to fight it.  When they step up to the run, it opens up opportunities in the passing game that weren't there before.

I listened to a podcast a year or two ago by two former line players and I have noticed how what they said is true almost always.  The goal of an offense (other than to score) is to get into 3rd and manageable situations.  That means being able to have a 3rd down play that's 5 yards or less.  That is the best way for an offense to score.  The ability to run the ball effectively is extremely important to getting to those 3rd and short situations.  You won't convert all of the short 3rd downs, but you'll convert a much higher percent of them.  Plus throw in the fact that on a 3rd and short the defense has to be ready for either a run or a pass and it makes your offense less predictable.  

So for an article to say that Toby is an every down back doesn't mean that it's going to be a run heavy offense.  It just means they trust him to run the ball and they trust him in pass blocking situations and checkdown situations.  That's something we haven't had in a running back since before MJD got hurt a few years ago.

Quote:Our inability to throw the ball goes hand-in-hand with our inability to run the ball.  Last year we sucked at both.  The end result was that other teams would tighten up for the first two downs and in a long 3rd down situation would expect our pass before we even came out of the huddle.  When you can run the ball, the defense has to step up to fight it.  When they step up to the run, it opens up opportunities in the passing game that weren't there before.

I listened to a podcast a year or two ago by two former line players and I have noticed how what they said is true almost always.  The goal of an offense (other than to score) is to get into 3rd and manageable situations.  That means being able to have a 3rd down play that's 5 yards or less.  That is the best way for an offense to score.  The ability to run the ball effectively is extremely important to getting to those 3rd and short situations.  You won't convert all of the short 3rd downs, but you'll convert a much higher percent of them.  Plus throw in the fact that on a 3rd and short the defense has to be ready for either a run or a pass and it makes your offense less predictable.  

So for an article to say that Toby is an every down back doesn't mean that it's going to be a run heavy offense.  It just means they trust him to run the ball and they trust him in pass blocking situations and checkdown situations.  That's something we haven't had in a running back since before MJD got hurt a few years ago.

I agree with all of this. And the part about "...getting to Third and manageable..." is kind of a cornerstone of the Chip Kelly / Warp Speed / run-as-many-plays-as-possible Offensive regeneration that we're seeing. If you can generate more plays, you put more pressure on the Defense; they have to rotate players more frequently, make more adjustments, reassess their approach that much more often and the odds start playing into the Offense's favor of generating an explosive play.

Allowing five yards on a First Down is bad for the Defense. Doing it on every First down is catastrophic.
Quote:BREAKING NEWS:

Counting the days until PreSeason.... DEAD ZONE
Quote:BREAKING NEWS:

Yes, but only on running plays.
3 more days.

Quote:But, but, run heavy. Run. Heavy.

It's Del Zero 2.0 man

Hey, remember that time when they fired Tom Coughlin and hired Jack Del Rio and said "We aren't gonna have any more '3 yards and a cloud of dust' around here?"

Good times.

Quote:It's Del Zero 2.0 man

Hey, remember that time when they fired Tom Coughlin and hired Jack Del Rio and said "We aren't gonna have any more '3 yards and a cloud of dust' around here?"

Good times.

Run the ball and stop the run.

If we could do just one *or* the other, we'll be a much improved team.
if we can run the ball even somewhat well it opens up a lot more opportunities in the passing game that we otherwise didn't have last year because we couldn't even establish the run or string a drive together.

I do think Gerhart is a big upgrade from the fat and slow MJD of last year.

I don't think the majority of fans appreciate what Gerhart brings to the team. A veteran RB with fresh legs who was a runner up to the Heisman in college. If not for playing behind AP he would have been a starter. He was a second round draft pick who has proven he can play in the NFL. How often do you get guarantees out of a drafted player? Never but in this case we have a guaranteed second round player at a skill position we need to enhance the passing game and take a load off our QB. Henne and Bortles will benefit from his play instantly and so will the receivers because defenses must respect the run and not just hang back in  coverage. Great days ahead for my beloved Jaguars. Go Jags and thanks to all the regulars on the MB's who keep me thinking and questioning things about our team. You guys are awesome keep up the good work and love the new Mad Dog 2.0 so uplifting and insightful. Can't wait to see Bortles in Preseason hoping against hope that he looks very much the QB that we have been lacking since Garrard (while not elite was at least someone who could win games). Wow just realized how long this is sorry for the article but my feelings were just flooding out.

Quote:It's Del Zero 2.0 man

Good times.

He was right, we didn't have "3 yards and a cloud of dust"

We had 1 maybe 1 1/2 yards and a cloud of dust. OK, OK, sometimes 2 yards and a cloud of dust, but it certainly wasn't 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
Pages: 1 2