Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: NLuT7nql.jpg]

Morning guys, just wanted to let you know that my new book, Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, is now officially available. I've been working on this project for about two and a half years now, and I'm genuinely thrilled with how it turned out. The foreword to the book was written by Shad Khan, and the book is packed with exclusive stories and information not available anywhere else. Contributors vary wildly, from former mayor John Delaney, to Jacksonville arch-rivals Woody Paige and Tom Sorensen, to the copyright attorney who tracked down the artist of the original Jaguars logo and got him to admit that he literally copied it from the phone book, and more. Over two thousand hours of research, writing, and fact-checking went into making Big League City! the definitive book on the football history of this great city that we all share. The book can be purchased through Barnes N’ Noble and Books-a-Million, and will be available in other select locations around Jacksonville in the coming weeks, but I’d suggest Amazon, where I’ve made the Kindle e-book edition free to hard copy purchasers.

Please see below for my recent appearance on the Channel 4 Morning Show discussing the book, along with the press release.

Hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. We have enough sports history in this city to fill a massive museum, yet so much of it is ether forgotten or not widely known. Really hope the book helps raise awareness of how much we have accomplished on the sports front over the last century.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/celebrating...l/26860538

On November 30th, 1993, Jacksonville, Florida was awarded the NFL’s 30th franchise. Local reporters still remember it as the most electric night in city history. Fireworks exploded over the St. Johns River, the party at the Jacksonville Landing lasted until daybreak, and future mayor John Delaney ran through his downtown office shouting “Big League City!” Though many in the national media considered Jacksonville’s improbable expansion victory over St. Louis, Oakland, and Baltimore to be one of the greatest upsets in sports history, to locals, it was truly the culmination of their city’s century-long love affair with the sport of football.

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville chronicles Jacksonville’s unmatched gridiron fervor, from Florida’s first college football game held in the wake of the Great Fire of 1901, to the birth of the Florida-Georgia game and the Gator Bowl Classic, to the numerous professional teams from long-forgotten leagues that have called Jacksonville home, through the new era of Jaguars football currently underway.

Years in the making with research drawn from thousands of sources and featuring an exclusive foreword written by Jaguars owner Shad Khan, Big League City! is the definitive book on Jacksonville’s football history.

Included inside: The Great Fire of 1901, Florida's First College Football Game, Early UF, FSU, and UG Football, The Florida-Georgia Game, Jacksonville's All-Stars face off against Red Grange and the Chicago Bears, The Jacksonville Bears, the birth of the Gator Bowl, Jacksonville's "Negro Bowls," The Senior Bowl, The Southern Leagues, The Hotel Roosevelt Fire, The 1968 and 1969 AFL All-Star Games, The 1976 NFL Expansion Race, The WFL's Jacksonville Sharks and Express Express, Colt Fever Night, Jacksonville's USFL Bulls, Bud Adams and the Jacksonville Oilers, The Jacksonville Robins, the 1989 NFL Expansion Race, Touchdown Jacksonville!, Wayne Weaver, the naming of the Jaguars, the War on Charlotte, NFL Now!, The Arena League Tomcats, Building an NFL Stadium, the Miracle Season, Woody Paige vs. Jacksonville and Woody's reflection on his infamous column, Small Market/Big Stadium, Bidding for and receiving Super Bowl XXXIX, The Jacksonville Sharks, The Dixie Blues, Bobby Bowden's Last Game, the LFL Breeze, the Sale of the Jaguars, Shad Khan, and much, much more.

What they're saying:

“Ken Bowen’s book is indeed about football. But it is also a book about the history of a city, wrapped around a community’s love affair with sports and competition. The author tells a wonderful tale, whether or not you are from Jacksonville, or whether or not you are a sports fan. A great read, well researched and well told."

-John Delaney, Mayor of Jacksonville (1995-2003), Architect of the $2.2 Billion Better Jacksonville Plan, President of University of North Florida (2003-Present)

“From the cocktail party to Coughlin, the Bulls to Brunell and the Gator Bowl to Gus, Ken Bowen’s book is an interesting read for any football fan in general, and any Jacksonville football fan in particular.”

-Ryan O’Halloran, Florida Times-Union

“Ken Bowen’s Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville is a must read for any sports loving Jaxson. It provides a comprehensive, exciting, and information-filled look at how America’s favorite sport and Jacksonville have grown up together over the last century.”

-Ennis Davis, author of Reclaiming Jacksonville: Stories Behind the River City’s Historic Landmarks and Cohen Brothers: The Big Store

“Big League City! is a MUST read for anyone who loves football and Jacksonville. While I can’t confirm or deny the information written about me for 5th Amendment purposes, I can say that I am honored to be a small part of this great city’s football history!”

-Curtis “Jaxson De Ville” Dvorak, Jaguars Mascot

Nice!  Congratulations!

Quote:Nice!  Congratulations!

Thanks so much!
Very cool. Congrats.

that's really neat congrats

I will own this book. Thank you and congrats !
Very cool. Currently reading a book with a couple more already lined up after but I will have to get this one soon.

Thanks guys! Very much appreciated.

We're on a slight spending freeze in our house, but this has been put on my Christmas list.

I will be sure to check it out.  Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered from Amazon!

Like I said on Reddit, my next read Smile

Quote:Like I said on Reddit, my next read Smile

Again? But you just reddit.

Okay, that was bad.
Quote:Again? But you just reddit.

Okay, that was bad.

Cancel the rest of the day. You won it.
Thanks again all.

Diesel, I sympathize with the spending freeze.

I have a new baby at home, and those little ones certainly don't come cheap Smile

Just wanted to let you guys know that an excerpt from the book detailing the history of the World Football League Jacksonville Sharks is now available here:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article...cksonville

Really neat team, as were the Express.

Wish I would have had a chance to see them in person.

Congrats on getting it done, Ken!

I've added Big League City to my list. 

Quote:Congrats on getting it done, Ken!

I've added Big League City to my list. 

Thanks a million! Genuinely appreciated Smile
That's pretty cool and ambitious of you. Even though I don't live in Jacksonville, I'm still interested in reading it.

Great work.

The book came in the mail the other day.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet (Finishing up a book I had already started) but just giving it a quick skim it is going to be a great read!   Can't wait to relive some of the memories and learn about some things I wasn't aware of.   Smile
Pages: 1 2