Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFT live spoke of jags HC position and made an interesting point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
They said.

We have a competent gm in place who's leading the search for our new HC.

But MOST of the "A" list HC candidates out there won't come I to a situation where they don't have 100% control.

So because we kept DC.

We're not gonna get an "A" list HC?

Comments?
Sounds like an excuse.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Yeah, sounds like nonsense to me. "They have a good GM, but that means they won't get a top coach"

Yeah, makes sense.

Quote:They said.

But MOST of the "A" list HC candidates out there won't come I to a situation where they don't have 100% control.

So because we kept DC.

Comments?

What is an "A list" head coach anyway?   A coach that demands complete control?   I don't believe we should hand any head coach complete control.  
Quote:They said.

So because we kept DC.

Comments?
Speculation and something to talk about. 

No one knows how much control/input may be offered to which candidates.  

Saying "A list" candidates won't come because they want 100% control is also just a false statement in general.  

Caldwell has a talented football team with a question mark at quarterback.

If he simply comes to terms with any new coach's desires to address the QB position -  then he'll get the coach he wants. I think it's that simple. 

If he decides he really wants to land Todd Haley but Todd Haley says I want you to target "player x" in draft at QB and/or try to sign "free agent x,"  then Caldwell only need say yes to that coach's wishes at QB to seal the deal. 

I think that's his only real obstacle. 

New coaches and the GMs hiring them routinely come to terms on personnel input.  It's their primary function together and a GM's level of acquiescence to a coach's opinions on personnel varies from team to team.  Dave seems smart enough to strike a deal on that matter for a coach he respects. 

Where is a COACH going to have 100% control?
Quote:Where is a COACH going to have 100% control?
Belicheck.

That's it
Quote:Where is a COACH going to have 100% control?
In theory no where.

But guys like Jimmy Johnson and the likes have been coach/gm type combos before.

It can be done. But as you point out... the owner has the cash, and he really is the one with 100% control ain't he?
Quote:In theory no where.

But guys like Jimmy Johnson and the likes have been coach/gm type combos before.

It can be done. But as you point out... the owner has the cash, and he really is the one with 100% control ain't he?

So in context of what some clown on PFT said, it's a load of dog doo.
I read it as Caldwell isn't as great as people want to make him out to be.
Quote:I read it as Caldwell isn't as great as people want to make him out to be.
I don't think anyone believes Caldwell is great but he certainly has drafted talent. The talent clearly wasn't being used correctly.

Bortles was a very raw prospect and everyone knew it. It was going to take good coaching to get him to an elite level and he certainly didn't get that.

Of the HC jobs available, I think the Jags is the most attractive. A defense clearly on the rise with the #3 or #4 pick to add to it.

So while Caldwell isn't "great", I think he's done a good job.
Quote:So in context of what some clown on PFT said, it's a load of dog doo.
Didn't TC have essentially 100% control while he was here?

I was fairly young back then so I didn't quite follow much off the field.
Also...

PFT hates the Jaguars.

Especially MDS.

PFT is almost as bad with their biased awful blogging as BCC is with their super negative awful blogging.

Quote:Didn't TC have essentially 100% control while he was here?

He did but the examples are few and far between.  I can't see any coaching candidate out there right now with the kind of resume that would be granted 'full control'.

Quote:Didn't TC have essentially 100% control while he was here?

Quote:He did but the examples are few and far between.  I can't see any coaching candidate out there right now with the kind of resume that would be granted 'full control'.

The two biggest examples I can think of as far as a "Total Control" Head Coach were Coughlin when he got here and Holmgren when he moved to Seattle. Both had good success early, but could not sustain it over the long-term. To me, the two jobs of a General Manager and a Head Coach are simply way too much for one person to do alone. You can have input back and forth, but you need more than one guy to oversee things.
On the PFT show they both agreed Jacksonville was the best opening
Quote:He did but the examples are few and far between.  I can't see any coaching candidate out there right now with the kind of resume that would be granted 'full control'.
Truth.

In Today's NFL there are a lot for coaches to deal with. Not sure I want our next HC to have any double duties anyway
Quote:On the PFT show they both agreed Jacksonville was the best opening
I agree. 

Here's why. In LA, you are stuck with Goff.

In Jax, if Bortles don't work out the new coach, likely, gets another shot with a new one.

Florida has no state tax.

Khan has shown to be incredibly patient.

The media still believes the talent is on this team.

As opposed to LA who has NO OLINE, the D is not what it once was, and they have no legit WRs, TEs, etc.

Also.. LA Media VS Jax media
Quote:The two biggest examples I can think of as far as a "Total Control" Head Coach were Coughlin when he got here and Holmgren when he moved to Seattle. Both had good success early, but could not sustain it over the long-term. To me, the two jobs of a General Manager and a Head Coach are simply way too much for one person to do alone. You can have input back and forth, but you need more than one guy to oversee things.

Another one is Chip Kelly in Philly. They said otherwise to the media, but it was clear Chip was in total control of the ship and the marina.
Pages: 1 2