Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ***Official 2014 Hurricane Season Thread***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tropical Storm Arthur will upgrade itself to Hurricane Arthur by Friday and through the Fourth Of July Weekend.  Arthur is projected to hit 60 mph wind gusts with a pouring rains off the coast of Jacksonville and into St. John's Bay.  :pinch:  Stay safe Jacksonville!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/02/us/holiday..._inthenews

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2014-07-02/story/tropical-storm-threatens-east-coast-july-4th-plans#cxrecs_s

Let's see... it's going to rain in Jacksonville in July.  It might be windy.

Gotcha!   :thumbsup:

Just kidding.  The news tends to play it up to make it more serious than it is.  The folks on the outer banks might want to take notice.

I don't even pay attention until it's a cat 3 or better

#wegonnadiez

It's kind of funny seeing Northerners panicking about a tropical storm/ C1 Hurricane. Unless they have been to Florida, they haven't seen anything yet.

Quote:It's kind of funny seeing Northerners panicking about a tropical storm/ C1 Hurricane. Unless they have been to Florida, they haven't seen anything yet.

Jacksonville hasn't seen anything since 1964. Living in the geographic armpit of the eastern coastline has its advantages.
that wonderful armpit saves us all the time

I've lived through more Hurricane's in Virginia than I ever did in Jax. The last one that I can remember was David, I think. Jacksonville almost never gets hit.

Been in a few in Maryland too, Never in Jax when I Lived there

I've been through 6 my last count, the worse being Andrew in 92 but I was really young, still remember parts of it.

What's a hurricane?
LOL....an "official" hurricane season thread? 

I'll play. 

Arthur was a potent little storm there. We didn't get much up here in Jersey, but on the outer banks of Carolina they got 100+ mph wind gusts recorded. Highway 12 as usual, was also underwater and suffered some damage. 

I'm surprised anyone would want to have a permanent home there. Its a nice place to visit, but the propensity for storm damage is just too high for my liking. When highway 12 suffers major damage from storms (which is not all that infrequent) Hatteras island is basically cut off from the mainland for at least (up to) months at a time. 

I wouldn't want to live like that. 

Quote:LOL....an "official" hurricane season thread? 

I'll play. 

Arthur was a potent little storm there. We didn't get much up here in Jersey, but on the outer banks of Carolina they got 100+ mph wind gusts recorded. Highway 12 as usual, was also underwater and suffered some damage. 

I'm surprised anyone would want to have a permanent home there. Its a nice place to visit, but the propensity for storm damage is just too high for my liking. When highway 12 suffers major damage from storms (which is not all that infrequent) Hatteras island is basically cut off from the mainland for at least (up to) months at a time. 

I wouldn't want to live like that. 

If you're going to live in the Carolina area inland is the way to go. Fell in love with Greenville a while back, that's my mecca corner I'll retire there one day!
Quote:If you're going to live in the Carolina area inland is the way to go. Fell in love with Greenville a while back, that's my mecca corner I'll retire there one day!

Greenville? Isn't that where East Carolina (college) is? 

What was it about that area that made you really like it? 
I haven't seen any of the fearless predictions some of these weather folks have made in the past. Have I just missed them, or are they more quiet then ever?

They've been so terribly wrong the last 5-10 years, maybe they've learned to just shut up.

Hurricane threat for Florida in about 4-6 days....

stay tuned

another good reason to visit colorado
Quote:Hurricane threat for Florida in about 4-6 days....

stay tuned
Nope. Not even close.
Quote:Nope. Not even close.

Well, according to some of the computer models such as the GFS they are forecasting a 90-100 mph hurricane to be very close to Miami/ Bahamas around 6 days from now. 

Quote:Well, according to some of the computer models such as the GFS they are forecasting a 90-100 mph hurricane to be very close to Miami/ Bahamas around 6 days from now. 
Yes, but not Jacksonville.
Pages: 1 2