Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who plays the single high safety?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The coaching staff has stated the Jaguars will play some bear defense. That leaves the corners responsible for the sideline and one safety responsible for centerfield.  I assume Cyprien will be the extra lb as a safety playing in the box. Who on the the team can be expected to play centerfield? Evans looked really lost and would need a phenominal turnaround. Winston? Pros? Martin?

It will be between Winston Guy and Josh Evans until we find an upgrade. Best case is one of those two develop into high quality starters so we don't have to use another draft pick.
Quote:It will be between Winston Guy and Josh Evans until we find an upgrade. Best case is one of those two develop into high quality starters so we don't have to use another draft pick.

Quote:The coaching staff has stated the Jaguars will play some bear defense. That leaves the corners responsible for the sideline and one safety responsible for centerfield.  I assume Cyprien will be the extra lb as a safety playing in the box. Who on the the team can be expected to play centerfield? Evans looked really lost and would need a phenominal turnaround. Winston? Pros? Martin?

If the Jags do decide to run plays with a single safety, it'll have to be a veteran guy with experience at safety. None of the FSs we have right now fit that bill.
Josh Evans was awful as a Safety in his Junior season but really turned it around during his Senior season so i am hopeful that he can do that this year and take the job. Let the best man win  

Quote:If the Jags do decide to run plays with a single safety, it'll have to be a veteran guy with experience at safety. None of the FSs we have right now fit that bill.

Caldwell isn't scared to run with a young player if that's all he has to work with. You can't fill all positions in a complete rebuild in one or two offseasons. We'll find that player whether he's on the roster currently or not.

What's wrong with Josh Evans?

Quote:Caldwell isn't scared to run with a young player if that's all he has to work with. You can't fill all positions in a complete rebuild in one or two offseasons. We'll find that player whether he's on the roster currently or not.
I never said anything like that.

The Jaguars do not have a FS competent enough to be out there on his own. We'll have to see come pre-season if one of those guys are ready to step up.

I highly doubt it, but I like being pleasantly surprised.
Quote:I never said anything like that.

The Jaguars do not have a FS competent enough to be out there on his own. We'll have to see come pre-season if one of those guys are ready to step up.

I highly doubt it, but I like being pleasantly surprised.

I meant to reply to this with a long winded bunch of stats that I dug up from PFF and instead I posted it to the thread for position of most need by mistake, so much for my multitasking skills.

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...ern/page-2    look near the bottom of the page.

To sum it, Cyprian gets a lot of our love and it is deserved for his tremendous effort playing every defensive snap in fifteen games..  He did, however, put up some pretty bad numbers in his fifteen starts, ten of which were at free safety and five of which were at strong safety.  He rated 84th of 86 safeties and still had negative pass coverage numbers in two of his last three games.  He will probably be a great strong safety but not the free safety he appears to have been drafted for.

By the stats Evans and Guy were slightly better overall and at pass coverage, but our safeties rated pretty much bottom of the league as a group.  Evans started ten games at strong safety and one at free safety.

All four of our rated cornerbacks were in the upper half of the league.  It sure looks like great work by our cornerbacks hid some pretty serious deficiencies among our safeties.
Quote:What's wrong with Josh Evans?

He's the current target of the Debbie Downers, that's all.

Nothing at all.
Sherrod Martin had a nice article written on him in the TU today.  However, they did not mention that prior to his knee injury, he was in jeopardy at Carolina due to missing tackles.  I understand he has experience, but I would rather develop the young guys. 

The guy has not shown the mental awareness. He looked bad even for a rookie.  As I originally said,he would need a dramatic turnaround to play the position well.
What about moving one of the corners over to FS?

I think its Evans job to lose or hopefully hold onto and become a star.

Not sold on Evans, although it's not like we can rule out development from year one to year two. I have a feeling problems with the back end will be the Achilles heel of our D this year. Hopefully an improved pass rush will mitigate the problem. I'm willing to bet DC will make finding an upgrade back there one of the main priorities of next offseason.
Watch the waiver wire after last cuts.

Craig loston?
What's right with Josh Evans? He's no better than Don Carey--possibly worse.

Quote:What about moving one of the corners over to FS?
I wouldn't be stunned to see Blackmon eventually play some safety, but for now, he's too valuable as a corner. If the Jags find a quality starter who's clearly better than Blackmon and Ball to play opposite Gratz, this becomes a possibility. Ball has also played some safety in his career, but watching him play last season, I didn't see a guy who screamed "safety conversion" to me.

Quote:Craig loston?
Sure, if you want your single high safety to be a glorified linebacker. Loston's got the potential to be a good special teamer and backup to Cyprien, and I wouldn't be stunned to see him beat Prosinski for the fourth safety spot assuming one of the street vets doesn't get it, but he's not a single high center fielder.
I see Winston as the guy this year. In any case once roster cuts come in I'm sure we'll secure another experienced body at FS. Long term hopefully Guy or someone else develops, if not Blackmon may be transitioned to FS
What about Prosinski lol?..

Pages: 1 2