Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Toby Gerhart's name keeps coming up win Daniel Jeremiah talks to personnel guys around the league
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
More dead zone news

Nothing wrong with that.  It's just another bit of good news about where this team is potentially headed.
The problem that I have with that piece, and a lot of the "Seattle South" stuff, is that Jedd Fisch isn't really a "run first" kind of coach. He has stated that he likes to throw more than he runs, but I've read a few places now - two I think - where we are going to become Auburn of the NFL.

I'm excited about Gerhart, but I don't think he's going to be the focal point of the Offense.

The fact that he's a weapon as a receiver will certainly help. 

Hasn't Fisch said the goal is to go 60ish/40ish with the emphasis being on the run?

I saw the name Gerhart and the letters 'k' 'e' and 'e' and panicked.

Everybody keeps saying Gerhart is a fantasy sleeper, which is ironic

Quote:The fact that he's a weapon as a receiver will certainly help. 

Hasn't Fisch said the goal is to go 60ish/40ish with the emphasis being on the run?

I could have sworn I read somewhere on the homepage that Fisch wanted a 55-45 pass to run ratio. Having said that, I haven't been able to reproduce that article.

Maybe I'm just making stuff up again.
For Toby Gerhart to have a "breakout year" alot of things need to happen. Because of this, it's no given that he will. First and obvious foremost, he must stay healthy. If he does, his chances are greatly improved. But, the OL must open holes for him to have a great season. Next, if the Jags can develop a decent passing game, that will force other team's defenses to play honest and not load the box. Lastly, if the Jags find themselves winning.........their swagger will carryover and reflect in how they play from a confidence standpoint. So while there are few people in all of football who are BIGGER fans of TG, I must remain cauitiously optimistic that he will have a kind of Heisman year with the Jags at the pro level. Can he do it? ABSOLUTELY. Will he do it? Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him finish at or near the top of the RB's by seasons end.

Quote:I saw the name Gerhart and the letters 'k' 'e' and 'e' and panicked.

same here, that thread title gave me heart problems for a split second.
Quote:I could have sworn I read somewhere on the homepage that Fisch wanted a 55-45 pass to run ratio. Having said that, I haven't been able to reproduce that article.

I've read that in the past regarding Fisch...

But I have also read multiple articles stating that Jax plans to go run heavy this year. 

I'm hoping it is just a blip on the radar screen if we do and not a long term trend. 

The last thing we need to do is go back to caveman offensive football such as we had under Del Rio. 

It would make the Bortles pick a waste if thats a long term shift. 
Quote:I could have sworn I read somewhere on the homepage that Fisch wanted a 55-45 pass to run ratio. Having said that, I haven't been able to reproduce that article.

I think he's actually indicated a more run heavy offense moving forward in a couple of radio interviews I've heard, but not extreme.  You have to have the ability to run the ball effectively to loosen up the passing game.  We have the weapons to do that now. 

I'd imagine it'd be more run heavy with a back like Gehorse and some young wideouts still trying to learn the game plus a new line trying to gel.
Quote:I'd imagine it'd be more run heavy with a back like Gehorse and some young wideouts still trying to learn the game plus a new line trying to gel.

It's going to be fun to keep track of this throughout the season. Granted, the conditions change on a minute-to-minute basis but it'll be interesting to see what the Run-Pass ratio turns out to be.
Honestly I can't wait for the time where defenses have to pay us honest.

The last few years have been tough to watch with defenses just teeing up on our predictable pay calling. Things are gonna change, I can feel it
all this talk of Gerhart is ruining my fantasy draft plan

Quote:For Toby Gerhart to have a "breakout year" alot of things need to happen. Because of this, it's no given that he will. First and obvious foremost, he must stay healthy. If he does, his chances are greatly improved. But, the OL must open holes for him to have a great season. Next, if the Jags can develop a decent passing game, that will force other team's defenses to play honest and not load the box. Lastly, if the Jags find themselves winning.........their swagger will carryover and reflect in how they play from a confidence standpoint. So while there are few people in all of football who are BIGGER fans of TG, I must remain cauitiously optimistic that he will have a kind of Heisman year with the Jags at the pro level. Can he do it? ABSOLUTELY. Will he do it? Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him finish at or near the top of the RB's by seasons end.

So wait, I just want to get this straight.  For him to have a break out year, he actually has to be healthy and be on the field at the same time?  You gotta be kiddin' me!  This is brilliant analysis!  Also, thanks for throwing in the insight to how an offense works with lineman and all those other working parts.  Well done. 

Quote:So wait, I just want to get this straight.  For him to have a break out year, he actually has to be healthy and be on the field at the same time?  You gotta be kiddin' me!  This is brilliant analysis!  Also, thanks for throwing in the insight to how an offense works with lineman and all those other working parts.  Well done.

I thought jjlovesfootball made a great point. People point to Gerhart and think just because he has talent and has low mileage, that means he's going to have a great season. I'm sure he'd do great on Seattle, but he's playing for Jacksonville, and we have so many new pieces on this offense, it's impossible to predict what kind of season Gerhart will have. It takes all 11 guys on offense to make a running game succeed. The passing game has to pull the 8th man out of the box, and our rebuilt offensive line has to open some holes. It's not just all up to Toby Gerhart.
Quote:So wait, I just want to get this straight. For him to have a break out year, he actually has to be healthy and be on the field at the same time? You gotta be kiddin' me! This is brilliant analysis! Also, thanks for throwing in the insight to how an offense works with lineman and all those other working parts. Well done.

Dude. Relax.
Quote:I thought jjlovesfootball made a great point. People point to Gerhart and think just because he has talent and has low mileage, that means he's going to have a great season. I'm sure he'd do great on Seattle, but he's playing for Jacksonville, and we have so many new pieces on this offense, it's impossible to predict what kind of season Gerhart will have. It takes all 11 guys on offense to make a running game succeed. The passing game has to pull the 8th man out of the box, and our rebuilt offensive line has to open some holes. It's not just all up to Toby Gerhart.

It is impossible to predict what kind of season he'll have, but there's certainly plenty of reason to be optimistic that he'll be an effective starter in this offense.  The talent playing in front of him is markedly improved over last season.  As that line comes together, the running game should become effective, and as it does, the passing game with all the new parts will also see improvement.
Pages: 1 2 3