Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Harley-Davidson unveils first electric motorcycle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Harley-Davidson unveils first electric motorcycle

Like loud pipes? Better get them while you can.

Harley-Davidson today revealed its first electric motorcycle, called Project LiveWire.

It’s the most radical departure in the 111-year history of the brand, best known for building rolling thunder on two wheels. A vision for a possible future production bike, Project LiveWire features more of a sporty touring look than the company’s classic cruisers.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/06/1...p=features

It's actually a pretty slick design.
For short road trips I wouldn't mind an electric bike.
I too like the design...But Harleys are made for the road. They're made for the long haul. The only times that you should be required to stop is for gas and to tighten up the loose bolts from the vibrations...

Not to Plug It In...

NH3...
Looks more like a BMW bike than Harley

Quote:I too like the design...But Harleys are made for the road. They're made for the long haul. The only times that you should be required to stop is for gas and to tighten up the loose bolts from the vibrations...

Not to Plug It In...

NH3...

Harley is a multi-line operation.  They're building all sorts of new bikes to go after the younger market including 500 and 750cc bikes, and this electric gizmo. 

Quote:Looks more like a BMW bike than Harley

It's got more of a Buell than HD look. 
I was actually at a motorcycle concours at the World Golf Village last month, and there was a guy down there demoing an electric sport bike very similar to this one, although it was a model that's already being produced for sale.  The oddest thing about it was it was so quiet.  But, the bike was super quick off the line because those electric motors don't have to wind up the way gas motors do.  When you throttle, it goes. 

One thing is for sure.  That bike got a lot of attention. 

If the sounds are accurate for the Harley based on the teasers I've seen, it's got a real high pitched whine that almost reminds me of Tron. If they start rolling them out to dealers, I've got a buddy I'll bug about doing a test ride over at Adamac. 

Quote:Harley is a multi-line operation.  They're building all sorts of new bikes to go after the younger market including 500 and 750cc bikes, and this electric gizmo. 

It's got more of a Buell than HD look. 

That's the one I was thinking of Buell!
Quote:That's the one I was thinking of Buell!

Buell = the junkiest of junky bikes ever built.  Total dogs.  There's a reason they ended up being used for most MSF riding classes.  Nobody was buying them. 
Quote:Buell = the junkiest of junky bikes ever built.  Total dogs.  There's a reason they ended up being used for most MSF riding classes.  Nobody was buying them. 

I never liked them, I don't know much about them just that I didn't have any desire to ride one. Personally I love my V-Star but it's my first so I might be a little biased.
Quote:I never liked them, I don't know much about them just that I didn't have any desire to ride one. Personally I love my V-Star but it's my first so I might be a little biased.

The Star line are nice bikes.  My brother had a Silverado Classic.  Nice bike.  Very reliable.  Decent displacement.  

Buell's were a poorly made attempt to go after the Japanese and European market catering to the younger demographics.  I think the Harley demo is somewhere in the 50-60 year old group, especially for the more profitable bikes.  They were looking at ways to drive that number down a bit by building sport bikes that appealed to the 20 something crowd.  When parts started falling off, it didn't make a good impression.  The bikes spent a lot of time leaking, rattling, or being repaired.  They were actually not bad looking bikes, and they did have some success racing them, but they were never able to create a reliable enough product to have a demand for them.

Interestingly enough, that's why Harley is now coming out with smaller displacement bikes.  They're getting ready to roll out water cooled 500 and 750 cc bikes.  The purists are going to hate them with a passion, but I think they've got a great idea this time around.  There are those in the younger crowd who don't want to ride a rice burner.  They want a cruiser, or even a standard bike.  The Japanese companies have all come out with standard bikes that are considered almost retro.  Harley sees an opportunity here, so they're going after it.  I think that's at least partly why they've moved forward with the electric bike as well.  Plus, the Rushmore line of bikes have technology on them that's intended to appeal to younger riders.  A buddy of mine who is in his late 50's just bought one, and we make fun of him because he refuses to figure out how to use the blue tooth technology.  The dude has a magnetic mount for a portable cassette deck.  He uses that for his music.
Quote:The Star line are nice bikes.  My brother had a Silverado Classic.  Nice bike.  Very reliable.  Decent displacement.  

Buell's were a poorly made attempt to go after the Japanese and European market catering to the younger demographics.  I think the Harley demo is somewhere in the 50-60 year old group, especially for the more profitable bikes.  They were looking at ways to drive that number down a bit by building sport bikes that appealed to the 20 something crowd.  When parts started falling off, it didn't make a good impression.  The bikes spent a lot of time leaking, rattling, or being repaired.  They were actually not bad looking bikes, and they did have some success racing them, but they were never able to create a reliable enough product to have a demand for them.

Interestingly enough, that's why Harley is now coming out with smaller displacement bikes.  They're getting ready to roll out water cooled 500 and 750 cc bikes.  The purists are going to hate them with a passion, but I think they've got a great idea this time around.  There are those in the younger crowd who don't want to ride a rice burner.  They want a cruiser, or even a standard bike.  The Japanese companies have all come out with standard bikes that are considered almost retro.  Harley sees an opportunity here, so they're going after it.  I think that's at least partly why they've moved forward with the electric bike as well.  Plus, the Rushmore line of bikes have technology on them that's intended to appeal to younger riders.  A buddy of mine who is in his late 50's just bought one, and we make fun of him because he refuses to figure out how to use the blue tooth technology.  The dude has a magnetic mount for a portable cassette deck.  He uses that for his music.

makes sense, I fall into that category. I'm the late 20's I hate rice rockets but can't even think about the full blown Harley. It's why I ended up with a V-Star you can get them cheap and they're comfortable cruisers. Honestly I drove my buddies Harley Sportster 1200 and I hated it, just say to high for me. My V-Star sits nice and low to the ground makes it an easy ride.
Quote:makes sense, I fall into that category. I'm the late 20's I hate rice rockets but can't even think about the full blown Harley. It's why I ended up with a V-Star you can get them cheap and they're comfortable cruisers. Honestly I drove my buddies Harley Sportster 1200 and I hated it, just say to high for me. My V-Star sits nice and low to the ground makes it an easy ride.

Harleys are like any other bike.  You can change the set up to sit higher or lower.  I have ridden the 1200 Sportster and just wasn't impressed.  Now, my buddy (BigJohn's dad, BTW) with the 2014 Harley has a Street Glide bagger, and it's nice.  It has the frame mounted fairing and hard bags color matched to the bike.  I rode that, and it's super comfortable.  Plus, all the electronics are a nice touch.  I'll probably buy one eventually, but can't justify spending almost as much for a bike as I would a car right now.

Quote:Harleys are like any other bike.  You can change the set up to sit higher or lower.  I have ridden the 1200 Sportster and just wasn't impressed.  Now, my buddy (BigJohn's dad, BTW) with the 2014 Harley has a Street Glide bagger, and it's nice.  It has the frame mounted fairing and hard bags color matched to the bike.  I rode that, and it's super comfortable.  Plus, all the electronics are a nice touch.  I'll probably buy one eventually, but can't justify spending almost as much for a bike as I would a car right now.

If money wasn't an issue I'd love the Street Gilder Harley makes, but that's the dream bike for after the kids are all gone and I've made my small fortune!