Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Win at Philadelphia 09-07-2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think…..

The first game of the season is the defining moment for the 2014 Jaguars.

The Eagles are expected to be good.  They play fast and have a returning QB who came off a great season.  Time will tell if they are good or not, but pre-season the expectation is that they will be.

This is a great game one test and measurement for Jacksonville.

Three possible outcomes:

1. Jags thump the Eagles.

2. Jags are competitive.

3. Jags take a beating.

In Option 1, if the jags beat up the Eagles in Philly, all bets are off for this team.  The media will start the by in and the team will feed off of it.  This is our best case scenario.  +8 wins

Option 2 – The jaguars are competitive and as a team we grow.  Highs and lows throughout the season.  Exactly what most of us think will happen.  Not a bad thing, but we will be waiting until 2015 for everything to come together. 6-8 wins

Option 3 – What the nay-sayers are banking on.  You'll hear a lot of “start Bortles” conversations and the pools will be a disaster.  Not what we want. Do we cover the 4.5 spread?

What I think anyhow.

Gosh, I sure hope we don't lose. May as well stop watching...

Option 4 - The Jaguars can't cover the Eagles WR's and get beat by 24.

Eagles 41

Jaguars 17

Quote:Option 4 - The Jaguars can't cover the Eagles WR's and get beat by 24.

Eagles 41

Jaguars 17
That was already option 3.

Eagles 41

Jaguars 17

Always a ray of sunshine. 

What team do you root for again?  Your trolling indicates it's not the Jags.

My bud from Gamestop said that  whoever plays PHILLY in week one normally makes the playoffs. He also told me they would take Blake Bortles with the number one pick.

I really hope we don't get a "start Bortles" brigade. If the coaches feel he should be playing that's fine but I don't want to potentially ruin the development of a 10 year+ QB on one season. We're not the Jets.

Quote:I really hope we don't get a "start Bortles" brigade. If the coaches feel he should be playing that's fine but I don't want to potentially ruin the development of a 10 year+ QB on one season. We're not the Jets.

There's already a start Bortles brigade.  It's small, but it exists. The first time Henne makes a mistake, they'll make sure we all know they exist. 

As long ans they pronounce his name correctly this time.

"Put Bartles in!!"

Eagles 41

Jaguars 17

Someone struggles with reading...
Quote:I think…..

The first game of the season is the defining moment for the 2014 Jaguars.

The Eagles are expected to be good.  They play fast and have a returning QB who came off a great season.  Time will tell if they are good or not, but pre-season the expectation is that they will be.

This is a great game one test and measurement for Jacksonville.

Three possible outcomes:

1. Jags thump the Eagles.

2. Jags are competitive.

3. Jags take a beating.

In Option 1, if the jags beat up the Eagles in Philly, all bets are off for this team.  The media will start the by in and the team will feed off of it.  This is our best case scenario.  +8 wins

Option 2 – The jaguars are competitive and as a team we grow.  Highs and lows throughout the season.  Exactly what most of us think will happen.  Not a bad thing, but we will be waiting until 2015 for everything to come together. 6-8 wins

Option 3 – What the nay-sayers are banking on.  You'll hear a lot of “start Bortles” conversations and the pools will be a disaster.  Not what we want. Do we cover the 4.5 spread?

What I think anyhow.

I think there are scenarios other than those three.  For example, the Jags could surprise Philly but it doesn't mean they're off to 8+ wins.  Personally, I see a more likely scenario as us getting beat by Philly by double digits but the Jags continuing to get better during the course of the season and becoming a team perfectly capable of beating the Iggles by season's end.  I'm thinking that reaching .500 would be a pretty successful season given where we're coming from.

Oh, and the Bortles debate is going to be out there regardless of what the team or Henne does.  That is just something we're going to have to understand until Bortles actually does take over.
Its a tough match-up for sure....

I think the Eagles are lucky to be getting Jacksonville week 1 instead of say week 14 or 15. 

I'm part of the start Bortles brigade. Lol!

I don't want to see him week 8 after were 1-6. Just continue to bench him an entire season if we start like that.

My opinion is we are too gunshy about QBs bc of our past. Blake's going to make a fine QB regardless.
Quote:I'm part of the start Bortles brigade. Lol!

I don't want to see him week 8 after were 1-6. Just continue to bench him an entire season if we start like that.

My opinion is we are too gunshy about QBs bc of our past. Blake's going to make a fine QB regardless.

Blake isn't being sat because "they're afraid of him making mistakes". 

Blake is being sat so they can re-work his fundamentals. 

Thats not going to be complete in a matter of days/ weeks/ maybe even months.

Muscle memory has to be ingrained through repetition here, so that he's not simply reverting back to old habits/ instinct as soon as adversity strikes.  

This is why you hear Caldwell/ Bradley talk of sitting him the entire 2014 season. 

Quote:Blake isn't being sat because "they're afraid of him making mistakes". 

Blaine is being sat so they can re-work his fundamentals. 

Thats not going to be complete in a matter of days/ weeks/ maybe even months.

Muscle memory has to be ingrained through repetition here, so that he's not simply reverting back to old habits/ instinct as soon as adversity strikes.  

This is why you hear Caldwell/ Bradley talk of sitting him the entire 2014 season. 

Careful TMD

Quote:Careful TMD

haha!! See, this just shows you how absent minded one can be when talking football!! :yes:

But thanks, I went back and corrected it. 

My prediction- we start out right where we left off last year, but steadily improve as the new players get integrated into the system.   I don't think we will see that great leap forward right out of the gate.  

We're all expecting a 6-10 season, and I don't think that would include going on the road and beating the Eagles in their home opener.  Right now, to start the season, the Eagles are simply a better team.  It's their second year in Kelly's up-tempo offense, so they will come out and try to run us out of the stadium.
Quote:My prediction- we start out right where we left off last year, but steadily improve as the new players get integrated into the system.   I don't think we will see that great leap forward right out of the gate.  

We're all expecting a 6-10 season, and I don't think that would include going on the road and beating the Eagles in their home opener.  Right now, to start the season, the Eagles are simply a better team.  It's their second year in Kelly's up-tempo offense, so they will come out and try to run us out of the stadium.

It's actually an interesting match up.  If Gus' defense is playing well, it could be disruptive enough to toss a wrench in their up tempo offense.  If that happens, it could be a competitive game. 
I think it'll be a close game.  I think our defense can hold their offense in check.  If we are able to move the ball and control the clock, I can see us winning.  Their defense isn't anything special so it's really up to us to capitalize.

Quote:It's actually an interesting match up.  If Gus' defense is playing well, it could be disruptive enough to toss a wrench in their up tempo offense.  If that happens, it could be a competitive game. 

Agreed.  All of the sudden the D-line depth looks even more valuable.
Pages: 1 2 3