Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The FS position..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is pretty ugly. Josh Evans looked lost. And behind Evans we have... Chris Prosinski. 

This position is pretty glaring and I think they will treat it as a premium position in the 2015 draft and/or Free Agency. Opinions? 

Evans is a liability, but you can only patch so many holes at once. I'm guessing the team either thinks he's improved enough to not be flagged for PI every other play, or will at least be serviceable. I wouldn't be surprised if Winston Guy ends up taking most of the snaps there, and it's also a position where I wouldn't be shocked to see a guy currently buried on the depth chart emerge as a starter. Alan Ball and Will Blackmon have both, IIRC, played safety in the past as well. I don't see Ball moving from corner, but Blackmon?

They seem to be pretty comfortable with, well, with whatever they've got there, but I too would not be the least bit surprised to see a high-round pick or premium FA added to the position next year. Seattle's secondary works in large part because of Earl Thomas. Thomas could stumble onto the field drunk with two left shoes and one arm tied behind his back, and he'd still outplay Evans by a mile.

Quote:This is pretty ugly. Josh Evans looked lost. And behind Evans we have... Chris Prosinski. 

This position is pretty glaring and I think they will treat it as a premium position in the 2015 draft and/or Free Agency. Opinions? 
Prosinski is the back up SS. Winston Guy is the FS.
From the way it sounds Guy is the front runner at FS

Guy had some nice hits last year.  I can't recall how he was in coverage though.

Quote:Guy had some nice hits last year.  I can't recall how he was in coverage though.

The Jaguars gave up huge play after huge play in the secondary..... he must have been as dismal as the rest of the team if he didn't stand out.

There's always a weak link... Bet Andrew Luck will let him know when he's out of position.
Quote:Bet Andrew Luck will let him know when he's out of position.

Considering Luck's knack for INTs I'm not too concerned.
I think Guy is the guy for now. Evans, if healthy, is the backup.

It would not shock me to see Aaron Colvin at that spot in 2015.

Quote:I think Guy is the guy for now. Evans, if healthy, is the backup.

It would not shock me to see Aaron Colvin at that spot in 2015.

If he gains about 15 lbs of muscle, maybe
Quote:If he gains about 15 lbs of muscle, maybe

To play FS?
Quote:Considering Luck's knack for INTs I'm not too concerned.

Unfortunately, getting the INT is also one of our secondary's weaker links. Did we have anyone back there that topped 2 INT last year??
Quote:To play FS?

Well, yeah....You rarely see FS at much under 200 lbs these days. 

Colvin was what? 177-180? Thats a bit too light for FS. 
Quote:If he gains about 15 lbs of muscle, maybe

Quote:Well, yeah....You rarely see FS at much under 200 lbs these days. 

Agreed.  Colvin is too light at this point to play the position, and I don't think that's what they envision for him anyway. 
Quote:Agreed.  Colvin is too light at this point to play the position, and I don't think that's what they envision for him anyway. 

Yeah, I think they pretty much see him as one of the starting CB, once recovered. 
Winston Guy is the starting FS and has apparently looked good in camp..

Quote:To play FS?

Yes. He's probably too skinny even to play corner at this point.

When you look at him he just looks like he's barely 180 lbs
Colvin lost weight after he tore his acl.

At the senior bowl he was 186 and on Oklahomas roster he's 192. So once he's back to 100% he'll probably be in that range.
Quote:Well, yeah....You rarely see FS at much under 200 lbs these days. 

He played in the 190's at Oklahoma. He lost 10-15 pounds prior to the combine after tearing his ACL at the Senior Bowl.
Quote:This is pretty ugly. Josh Evans looked lost. And behind Evans we have... Chris Prosinski. 

I feel one of the biggest weak links in the Defense.  I thought what about Free Agenc such as;

CB Corey Webster or  CB Terrell Thomas (both NYG) and moving them to FA (after passing a physical)

FS Steve Gregory (former Patriots) to give Josh Evans competition more of a threat of losing his job and have them compete?

CB Asante Samuel moving him to FS (if he still has any speed left in him at age 33).

All the good Free Agent FS picks are really taken, but one of them could be signed to compete and could always be cut before the season.
A huge gamble if Dave and Gus wanted to take it on would be to sign Free Safety Ed Reed, if nothing else as a mentor / position coach for our Safeties if he physically couldnt play the way he used to anymore.  If I was Dave (since they have the money to work with) I would sign him (provided in the interview I felt he would be willing to play the educator type role).

Pages: 1 2 3 4