Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Chris Naeole had one of the best seasons in NFL history?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Fact. At least according to the approximate value statistic. In 2005, he registered an AV rating of 21, which is the best single season mark in Jaguars history. As well, nobody has posted a single-season AV over 20 since Aaron Rodgers did it in 2011. He is tied for having the 31st best season in the history of the NFL, which is absolutely insane when you think about it. For an even better perspective, the highest AV we have had the past 2 season was Poz this year with 9. In Boselli's best season, he posted an AV of 15.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...season.htm

Naeole was one of the underrated Jags of all-time. Obviously, this was by far his best season, as he never posted better than a 10 AV in any other year, but it goes to show just how important he was to our playoff run that year. Just an interesting fact I wanted to pass along!

19-25 MVP- or Player Of The Year level performance   12-18 All-Pro/Pro Bowl level performance   6-11 Starter quality   3-5 Backup player or limited playing time   1-2 Role player   0 Scrub
No.
Who?

Quote:No.

Also for perspective, it is the highest AV for an offensive lineman in the history of the NFL for a single season.
Hey, Naeole was pretty good during his time, but his prime wasn't really that long.  Also, although "pretty good" is better than "pretty bad", I'm still very skeptical of this rating.

Quote:Hey, Naeole was pretty good during his time, but his prime wasn't really that long.  Also, although "pretty good" is better than "pretty bad", I'm still very skeptical of this rating.

Not sure what there is to be skeptical about. AV is an actual calculated statistic, similar to WaR in baseball and PER in basketball. I admit I was taken aback to see it, but unless there is a calculation error that has gone unaddressed in 10 years time then this is fact.
So whats the AV supposed to be measuring?
Quote:So whats the AV supposed to be measuring?

the Approximate Value (AV) method is an attempt to put a single number on the seasonal value of a player at any position from any year (since 1950).
That's pretty cool, 05' was a good year somewhat.

Quote:Not sure what there is to be skeptical about. AV is an actual calculated statistic, similar to WaR in baseball and PER in basketball. I admit I was taken aback to see it, but unless there is a calculation error that has gone unaddressed in 10 years time then this is fact.

I'm skeptical that the calculated statistic is actually a meaningful metric for determining the relative merits of players.
Why did the Saints not re-sign Naeole anyway? 

Amazing he was allowed to get to unrestricted free agency. 

He was probably our best lineman for a fee years. No real surprise.
Quote:That's pretty cool, 05' was a good year somewhat.

We were running through people with guys like Toefield.  Unfortunately that guy named Tom Brady exists.

We also sat Garrard in favor of Leftwich in the playoffs.  In hindsight, that was a bad move.
Quote:I'm skeptical that the calculated statistic is actually a meaningful metric for determining the relative merits of players.

I mean if you look through the list it's pretty plain to see that it's a solid metric. There is a similar statistic in almost every sport that attempts to "approximate value" and assign a number to a specific player. In baseball it's "Wins Above Replacement", or WaR and in basketball it's "Player Efficiency Rating" or PER. While statistics like this are new and have caused some controversy, sabermatricians love them  and they are going to be here to stay. As much as some people worship PFF and their completely arbitrary, garbage method of grading players, I'm surprised more people haven't caught on to AV an just how accurate it is as a judge of a players performance.
Quote:We were running through people with guys like Toefield.  Unfortunately that guy named Tom Brady exists.

We also sat Garrard in favor of Leftwich in the playoffs.  In hindsight, that was a bad move.

Leftwich being in front of Garrard period was a bum move. If we had taken Garrard in the 1st and Lefty in the 4th, there would never have been a question of "who should start".

Quote:Who?
Welcome, new Jags fan.
Quote:Leftwich being in front of Garrard period was a bum move. If we had taken Garrard in the 1st and Lefty in the 4th, there would never have been a question of "who should start".

I thought Leftwich's arrow was pointing up until he got hurt in the 2005 Arizona game. 
Quote:Why did the Saints not re-sign Naeole anyway?

Amazing he was allowed to get to unrestricted free agency.

He was a bust in NO. He then came here and turned his game around and got his career on track. I think he was one of the best FA signing that we ever had. Would love to have someone like him at RG for us right now.
More evidence that what these people produce should be taken with a generous portion of salt.

For infotainment purposes only.

Quote:I thought Leftwich's arrow was pointing up until he got hurt in the 2005 Arizona game. 

Nobody that physically slow in almost everything he did was ever going to be much beyond average in this league. And I'm not saying he needed to be a scrambler or anything....its just that all of his movements were plodding and deliberate and in a league where speed and quickness kill, he simply had little chance. 
Pages: 1 2