Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gene Smith the Jaguars toughest opponent. Where is he now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Gene Smith

Famous Quotes:

"Get the Big Guys Early"

"Best Available Player"

"Um Uh Um Uh Uh Um Uh Um"

This guy was a complete disaster. His philosophy was to draft Bigger players in the high rounds and get your wr's and everyone else in the lower rounds. Gene Smith was also on another planet when it came to player evaluation. Alualu 10th overall, Bryan Anger in the third round, etc. In fact his 4 years of drafting maybe the worst drafting ever in that same time frame. Gene Smith also contradicted himself.  He was known to like choir boys and selects Justin Blackmon 5th overall, He kept saying best available player and selects a punter in the third round. Gene Smith set this team back a decade.

Is he still in football of some capacity or is he retired?

His philosophies were generally sound, but he was just so, so poor at understanding value and prospect evaluation as a whole. 

If Gene Smith tried to pick his nose, he would poke his eye out.

Quote:If Gene Smith tried to pick his nose, he would poke his eye out.
hahaha... Thats good... Best discription ive heard of the guy yet lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was sucessful elsewhere or in a different role. Just because he failed here dosent mean he will fail elsewhere. I really think that's something that gets lost among people.
He was here as recently as a couple of months ago.

Know a guy whose son goes to the same school as Gene Smith's kids, and apparently Gene is very involved there and is an overall great guy.

(might still be in town, but that's the latest I've heard about Gene which was ~2 months ago)

Hopefully he isn't involved in the athletic department.

Quote:His philosophies were generally sound, but he was just so, so poor at understanding value and prospect evaluation as a whole.

And he was so desperate to find a HOF player that everyone else missed on from one of those small schools he was so fond of!!
To me, Smith's biggest blunder was not accumulating enough draft picks... instead, he chose to trade up multiple times.

I still have high hopes for Andre Branch - would be nice if he is the one guy left from the Smith regime that is a legit player at a premium position.
Quote:And he was so desperate to find a HOF player that everyone else missed on from one of those small schools he was so fond of!!

I would have been happy to settle for quality starter, but he never found any of those either.
This is why we all owe Krayz_Jville_D an apology for his epic draft day Gene Smith rant.

The very least someone could do is give Krayz his 667 like.   http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/use...-jville-d/
Quote:If Gene Smith tried to pick his nose, he would poke his eye out.
Guess he decided it was the BAP
Quote:This is why we all owe Krayz_Jville_D an apology for his epic draft day Gene Smith rant.

The very least someone could do is give Krayz his 667 like.   <a class="bbc_url" href='http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/user/11116-krayz-jville-d/'>http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/user/11116-krayz-jville-d/</a>

I'm thinking you've been on the board a lot longer than just this past January... :thumbsup:
In Gene we...rust?

His first draft was actually not too bad. Britton was good at first, but then got hurt. Monroe was always solid. Knighton was very good when he was at his best, but he got really out of shape. Cox was good but always hurt. Mike Thomas was good as far as fourth round WR's go, but he gave up. Dillard was hurt too much. Zach Miller never got healthy.

Gotta admit, his other drafts were atrocious, but he did have more than his fair share of bad luck along the way. Anyone remember D'Anthony Smith? Spent 3 years on IR, like, how does that even happen.

Quote:His first draft was actually not too bad. Britton was good at first, but then got hurt. Monroe was always solid. Knighton was very good when he was at his best, but he got really out of shape. Cox was good but always hurt. Mike Thomas was good as far as fourth round WR's go, but he gave up. Dillard was hurt too much. Zach Miller never got healthy.

Gotta admit, his other drafts were atrocious, but he did have more than his fair share of bad luck along the way. Anyone remember D'Anthony Smith? Spent 3 years on IR, like, how does that even happen.

Nobody is left from 2009, one player is left from 2010, one player is left from 2011 and only 2 are left from 2012 (3 if you include Blackmon). The man was pure [BLEEP] at drafting, no way to sugar coat the absolute truth.
Quote:Nobody is left from 2009, one player is left from 2010, one player is left from 2011 and only 2 are left from 2012 (3 if you include Blackmon). The man was pure [BAD WORD REMOVED] at drafting, no way to sugar coat the absolute truth.

Did I say otherwise? Nope. I literally just said his drafts were atrocious. 
Quote:His first draft was actually not too bad. Britton was good at first, but then got hurt. Monroe was always solid. Knighton was very good when he was at his best, but he got really out of shape. Cox was good but always hurt. Mike Thomas was good as far as fourth round WR's go, but he gave up. Dillard was hurt too much. Zach Miller never got healthy.

That was a terrrible draft for the reason of where Cox was drafted.
Quote:Did I say otherwise? Nope. I literally just said his drafts were atrocious. 

No, just think we probably disagree on 2009. I think the only real good value pick was Knighton. Sure Monroe was solid, but if you take a LT at #8 he better be damn near an all-pro. Cox, keep in mind we traded up to get and he's considered one of the worst CB's in all of football. 
Quote:That was a terrrible draft for the reason of where Cox was drafted.

What was really terrible was the move to give up a future second rounder for Cox. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5