Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pittsburg @ Jacksonville 1995
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you remember this game? Of how wonderful.I pulled up in a house boat and used a dingy to get to shore and back. There were 12 of us. There were 4 that stayed to watch the boat and watch the game on TV.

Party day did not care about losing but lo and behold we beat the mighty Steelers. Steelers crying all around me and boy we let them have it. They said they were going to follow us out to our car AND wipe [BLEEP]. Well we did not have a car and they could not swim

You should have seen there face as we paddled away!!!!!

BEST GAME EVER!
I was at that game. The thing I remember most vividly was late in the game Neil O'Donnel floated a long pass to a receiver who was wide open but Harry Colon made the play and tipped the ball away, right in front of where I was sitting.

Then after the game everyone filed out whooping and hollering like we were headed to the Super Bowl.
That was not even the best game in the series. Everyone talks about the Monday night shutout after Big Ben's appendectomy, Mark Brunell's first game in 1997, a pick-6 in overtime after Fred Taylor ran 234 yards, or our last playoff win every time they hear "Jaguars vs. Steelers." Even with those great games, the best game ever was not against the Steelers, which is obvious to anyone who remembers the score 62-7.

I remember the game well. TC had great use of formation to get plays against Pittsburgh.

The great thing is after the win, we were something like 2-5 record wise...and fans were exiting the stadium chanting "playoffs! Playoffs!". The media asked Coughlin about that in the post game, and he laughed, shook his head and said something to the effect of " fans...ya gotta love em."

I still have that game somewhere.

How could the first home win in team history not be among the best games in this young franchise's history?
Quote:That was not even the best game in the series. Everyone talks about the Monday night shutout after Big Ben's appendectomy, Mark Brunell's first game in 1997, a pick-6 in overtime after Fred Taylor ran 234 yards, or our last playoff win every time they hear "Jaguars vs. Steelers." Even with those great games, the best game ever was not against the Steelers, which is obvious to anyone who remembers the score 62-7.

In this case, "best game" doesn't mean "game where the Jags played the best".  I remember the win over Pittsburgh in '95 and it was a fantastic experience.  For some reason I remember seeing Kevin Greene in an interview after the game and he had this sheepish grin on his face.  You could tell they were embarrassed to have lost to an expansion team.  How sweet it was.
I like the MNF game when we blocked the FG attempt and Bill Cowher wanted to punch Chris Hudson and he ran by him after scooping up the ball for another TD. Those memories will last with me forever.
Quote:I like the MNF game when we blocked the FG attempt and Bill Cowher wanted to punch Chris Hudson and he ran by him after scooping up the ball for another TD. Those memories will last with me forever.

Cowher's hat tip to the history of our field was awesome.  I think people still think that was a serious gesture on his part.
IMO, Cowher wanted to go Woody Hayes on Hudson but had just enough restraint and a sense of humor about himself.

The 1995 PGH game was largely a fluke if I remember it correctly.  They went for it on 4th down and O'Donnell could have easily ran for the 1st down but threw a bad pass instead - Jags win.  Maybe I'll edit that game next.

I loved that Monday night game,first time I won money on the jags

Well maybe I got carried away on the post about being the best game ever. It was the best day for ME at the game.

The best game of all time has to be Denver in Jan 1997
Didn't realize till I looked it up but was surprised to find out we lead series with Steelers 12-10. Was shocked that we also outscored them 414-387 that is simply an amazing stat.

Yep, I think they swept us only 1 year.  We usually split when we were in the same division.  I think where we got ahead in the series was the MNF 9-0 game in 2004 or 2005 and the 2 wins in Pgh in December 2007.

It was a great series and as mentioned we split most years! I felt we were building our team with the same mind set as the steelers. I miss those games and it is great we will play again this year.

Quote:It was a great series and as mentioned we split most years! I felt we were building our team with the same mind set as the steelers. I miss those games and it is great we will play again this year.

The Steelers will always be our #1 rival in my book. Sure, a lot of people point to the Titans, but looking back it really hasn't been that fierce since 99, while the Steelers rivalry still had many great games into the 2000's. Interested to know how you guys feel on that...
Quote:IMO, Cowher wanted to go Woody Hayes on Hudson but had just enough restraint and a sense of humor about himself.

The 1995 PGH game was largely a fluke if I remember it correctly.  They went for it on 4th down and O'Donnell could have easily ran for the 1st down but threw a bad pass instead - Jags win.  Maybe I'll edit that game next.
I remember that game, but I don't remember it being in 1995.
Quote:In this case, "best game" doesn't mean "game where the Jags played the best".  I remember the win over Pittsburgh in '95 and it was a fantastic experience.  For some reason I remember seeing Kevin Greene in an interview after the game and he had this sheepish grin on his face.  You could tell they were embarrassed to have lost to an expansion team.  How sweet it was.

"Jaguars played the best" is the ONLY definition of "best Jaguars game." What you are talking about is the best game experience, not best game period.
Quote:I remember that game, but I don't remember it being in 1995.

It was in 1997, Mark Brunell's first game back from knee ligament tears.

I did not see that one, so for me Jaguars + Steelers + MNF = 9-0 win in Jacksonville. Too many Steelers fans, but it was great to see Big Ben in pain after getting hit on the right side of his abdomen.
Quote:"Jaguars played the best" is the ONLY definition of "best Jaguars game." What you are talking about is the best game experience, not best game period.

Ohhhhh kaaaaay. (backs away slowly)
Quote:Ohhhhh kaaaaay. (backs away slowly)
just bring up how much ohio state is overrated and she'll fade back into the woodwork
Quote:just bring up how much ohio state is overrated and she'll fade back into the woodwork
But she likes the Gators too! You know, just your average Broncos/Jags/Buckeyes/Gators fan
Pages: 1 2