Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: On average how long do Middle Linebackers last?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't realize that Poz was only 29. I've been thinking that we might part ways with him after this year, but depending on his asking price, don't you think we could get some good production out of him for a couple more years? Ray Lewis played until he was 38 and Urlacher played until he was 34. Poz was the best player on defense last year and is a great fit for us, and he could be even better with more talent around him on the defense. How many more years do you guys think Poz can go for?
Quote:I didn't realize that Poz was only 29. I've been thinking that we might part ways with him after this year, but depending on his asking price, don't you think we could get some good production out of him for a couple more years? Ray Lewis played until he was 38 and Urlacher played until he was 34. Poz was the best player on defense last year and is a great fit for us, and he could be even better with more talent around him on the defense. How many more years do you guys think Poz can go for?

Lewis's longevity is pretty rare and he wasn't even a shadow of his former self in the last few years, he could diagnose, tackle and shout a lot, but that was about it, he had no speed or pop any more. Urlacher is an example of a guy who was a rare athlete and whose worn down 33 year old legs were more or less the same as the average 25 year old LB. He could afford to lose a step and still just be quick enough. There are not many like that.

It all depends on the role in the defense and luck with injuries. Lewis was lucky with injuries and allowed to be a hitter in the middle of a 3-4, his lack of speed in his later years was covered by the fact he just had to stuff the run. Gus needs speed out of his LBs and Poz still has that and seems to avoided any sort of problematic long term injury so he might be good for a few years yet, but I wouldn't bank on more than that.
Poz is a leader, we should keep him as long as we can. 

Although, Lewis did slow down the last several years, his greatest strength came from the fact that he could still shed blockers... rarely did a lot of blockers get to him keeping him out of plays...his knowledge of the game made up for the steps he lost...

As for as Poz goes... he's still the best option at MLB'er and he's still playing at a high level... I can see him playing like this for another three years baring injury...

Poz is smart and can do his job well enough for now. How long he lasts will be determined by how he conditions himself and if he can stay healthy. He has never been a quick linebacker and is a liability in coverage (please don't argue with his interception return against Manning), but he is effective in run support.

I feel that It depends on both Telvin Smith and Watson and how they are able to take pressure off of poz over the middle.

Telvin will likely be asked to be the cover LB with his athletics and natural cover ability and hopefully Poz will be free to attack the running game more and not feel like he has to make every play every down like last year. Same with Watson and his blitzing on late downs. If he can provide some pass rush and shorten the time Qbs have in the pocket it will reduce how much Poz will have to roam and go sideline to sideline.

I feel he has 2-3 more years if he has to play like the last 2 seasons but if he can get some help around him i can see that being 3-5 years and him retiring a Jag at like 33 or 34. He only had the one major injury IIRC and since then he hasnt had durability problems despite being the center cog on the D and playing a crazy amount of snaps.

Quote:I didn't realize that Poz was only 29. I've been thinking that we might part ways with him after this year, but depending on his asking price, don't you think we could get some good production out of him for a couple more years? Ray Lewis played until he was 38 and Urlacher played until he was 34. Poz was the best player on defense last year and is a great fit for us, and he could be even better with more talent around him on the defense. How many more years do you guys think Poz can go for?

A few months ago, i realized the same thing.  I think we just got so used to the Gene mentality around here that if someone is nearing 30 they are done, that we don't even consider players like Ray Lewis and Brian Dawkins being very good after the age of 30.

Quote:Although, Lewis did slow down the last several years, his greatest strength came from the fact that he could still shed blockers... rarely did a lot of blockers get to him keeping him out of plays...his knowledge of the game made up for the steps he lost...

As for as Poz goes... he's still the best option at MLB'er and he's still playing at a high level... I can see him playing like this for another three years baring injury...

Agreed.  He's stayed relatively healthy, and the guy really has taken good care of himself. 
Quote:A few months ago, i realized the same thing.  I think we just got so used to the Gene mentality around here that if someone is nearing 30 they are done, that we don't even consider players like Ray Lewis and Brian Dawkins being very good after the age of 30.

To a certain extent, that's true.  But, there are positions where that age barrier has more significance than others.  I don't think it applies to LBs as much as say, RBs.  There are quite a few very effective LBs playing well into their 30's.  I could see Poz being one of those.
Quote:Although, Lewis did slow down the last several years, his greatest strength came from the fact that he could still shed blockers... rarely did a lot of blockers get to him keeping him out of plays...his knowledge of the game made up for the steps he lost...

Yeah I agree 3 yrs but I think he can probably play 5 more years but I think 3 at a high level. I'm looking forward to seeing him hit Shady McCoy in week 1.