Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles could look like a completely different player in 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Going back and looking at how much Bortles improved between 2012 and 2013 in just one offseason with no real QB coach really got me excited. Imagine how much Bortles can improve with a whole year of NFL caliber QB coaching and resources. He'll be doing nothing but ironing out his craft for a whole year. I look at this redshirt year for him as his senior season except with better resources and more time to improve his game all around. Seeing the jump in improvement Bortles made from 2012 to 2013 (similar to how Manziel improved) a good argument can be made that if Bortles came back for his senior season as an improved player again he would have been in the discussion with Mariota and Winston for first QB taken, if not first pick overall.

With the resources and time we're giving him, he could leapfrog even the improvements he would have made going into his senior season. I'm thinking the difference between UCF Bortles and Jags Bortles could be as big a difference as Cal Aaron Rodgers to Packers Aaron Rodgers. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Aaron Rodgers obviously, but with reworked mechanics and ample time to get used to the speed and regimen of the NFL before seeing the field,,the jump in his level of play from the last time we saw him at UCF to his first game in the NFL could be similar.

I was looking at that analysis chart of the top 4 QBs in this draft and what really stood out to me was how steady Bortles was across all stats, clearly being the second best passer behind Bridgewater and the only QB that wasn't bad in any one thing, while not having his mechanics completely ironed out and not having proper QB coaching like Bridgewater had. He also was only a full starter for two years, while Bridgewater had 3. Not to mention he managed to achieve those numbers while having a harder schedule than Bridgewater. His abilities as a passer are really good. I've see some question whether he is a natural passer and I just don't understand this, because he's done great even without proper coaching.

I'm just imagining 2015 Bortles as a player who is as smooth in the pocket and mechanically sound as Bridgewater with a stronger arm, better improv ability, and Big Ben size while being a running threat as well. And on top of all that, he has the "it" factor some people value so much. It sounds like a crazy combination, but it's really not far off from what I think we will get and what I think Caldwell envisions. And with the weapons we will have around him and how he fits our system perfectly (since it's going to be pretty similar to what UCF did) I can see his stats being pretty crazy.
Kids ceiling is incredibly high IMO.
That's the plan

His 2012 to 2013 improved so much. Shows a great sign of work ethic and wanting to just get better. I imagine next off-season they load up on defense again with a few offensive lineman.. I love where my jags are headed!!!
Starting to not mind Bortles sitting the whole year. Get another top 10 pick, let the young WRs develop for a year, solidify the o-line again next off season, improve the defense and Bortles should be in the best spot one could hope for. So I can see the line of thinking.

Bortles has really crappy mechanics, thats why I wasnt all that high on him. The muscle memory for his footwork will honestly probably take a year to develop, and being under the line of far may hinder that development. I cant speak for playing QB but I have played a different sport at a relatively high level, muscle memory takes thousands of hours of practice if you want to do it at an elite level consistently during a game. And Bortles has a LONG way to go. Its not an unfixable issue, but it will take time. 

I think he will look better than Henne in camp, because that is not all that hard to do. But unless he shows unreal progress in his footwork he will be put on the bench until he fixes that issue.

Quote:Starting to not mind Bortles sitting the whole year. Get another top 10 pick, let the young WRs develop for a year, solidify the o-line again next off season, improve the defense and Bortles should be in the best spot one could hope for. So I can see the line of thinking.

Bortles has really crappy mechanics, thats why I wasnt all that high on him. The muscle memory for his footwork will honestly probably take a year to develop, and being under the line of far may hinder that development. I cant speak for playing QB but I have played a different sport at a relatively high level, muscle memory takes thousands of hours of practice if you want to do it at an elite level consistently during a game. And Bortles has a LONG way to go. Its not an unfixable issue, but it will take time. 

I think he will look better than Henne in camp, because that is not all that hard to do. But unless he shows unreal progress in his footwork he will be put on the bench until he fixes that issue.
THIS! I'm for this 1000 percent! 

If Bortles could slide into a situation where he

1. Masters the playbook

2. Stout defense

3. Seasoned, developed, young receivers 

4. Solidified Offensive line (I'd be cool with going line heavy next year).

5. Improved mechanics

6. A NFL QB coach

7. A better understanding of NFL defenses

I'm all for Bortles redshirting. It's in the franchise's best interest. I'd love to see him start after the Cowboys game in London though
Hoping for the best Big Grin

Bortles has the potential to be something special. His size and speed is what interests me. He's no jelly bean, that is for sure.

+ letting Bortles sit out in 2014, we won't be subjected to getting crushed by defenders.  I still think our OLine needs another year.

People need to trust that Gus and Dave have a plan, and that their plan is what they feel is best for this franchise over the long haul.  That includes the way they bring along Bortles.  There is absolutely no need to rush him out on the field before he is ready, and hopefully a situation doesn't arise where that becomes a necessity. 

If Henne is injured and has to miss playing time, that's the only scenario where I honestly see Bortles getting starts this year.  The longer they can allow him to work on his mechanics, and to get a feel for the speed of the game at this level, the better.

Quote:People need to trust that Gus and Dave have a plan, and that their plan is what they feel is best for this franchise over the long haul.  That includes the way they bring along Bortles.  There is absolutely no need to rush him out on the field before he is ready, and hopefully a situation doesn't arise where that becomes a necessity. 

If Henne is injured and has to miss playing time, that's the only scenario where I honestly see Bortles getting starts this year.  The longer they can allow him to work on his mechanics, and to get a feel for the speed of the game at this level, the better.
I agree 100% with this. 

I actually appreciate the fact that our coaches and front office management have developed a plan - and ideally manage to stick with up (barring an injury). It is very refreshing.
I have always favored redshirting franchise quarterbacks whenever possible. Joe Montana, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, and Nick Foles - players who went on to have very successful careers - were all backups their rookie seasons. Peyton Manning's first season, he led the NFL in interceptions. John Elway's first season, he got benched after several bad games. People love to point to current starting quarterbacks who had great rookie seasons but their teams had quarterback emergencies and they were ready to be thrown into fires. Blake Bortles did not start four years like they did or have a position coach any of his three seasons. He only started two years. So it is pretty obvious he is not like other quarterbacks who immediately were named Day 1 starters and played like veterans when they were rookies.

If we do what the Bengals did after drafting Palmer, all of you should quit complaining. The Bengals went from 2-14 to 8-8 wiith Jon Kitna taking every snap. The next season, Palmer took oiver on Day 1 and led the Bengals to a division title. That means we are only 20 games and one more offseason away from the playoffs if we do what the Bengals did.

Quote:I agree 100% with this. 

I actually appreciate the fact that our coaches and front office management have developed a plan - and ideally manage to stick with up (barring an injury). It is very refreshing.
Welcome to the "Shortsighted Club". Banana :thumbsup:
Quote:I have always favored redshirting franchise quarterbacks whenever possible. Joe Montana, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, and Nick Foles - players who went on to have very successful careers - were all backups their rookie seasons. Peyton Manning's first season, he led the NFL in interceptions. John Elway's first season, he got benched after several bad games. People love to point to current starting quarterbacks who had great rookie seasons but their teams had quarterback emergencies and they were ready to be thrown into fires. Blake Bortles did not start four years like they did or have a position coach any of his three seasons. He only started two years. So it is pretty obvious he is not like other quarterbacks who immediately were named Day 1 starters and played like veterans when they were rookies.

If we do what the Bengals did after drafting Palmer, all of you should quit complaining. The Bengals went from 2-14 to 8-8 wiith Jon Kitna taking every snap. The next season, Palmer took oiver on Day 1 and led the Bengals to a division title. That means we are only 20 games and one more offseason away from the playoffs if we do what the Bengals did.

Good post ....... but there is no real data that supports either decision (starting in year 1 or being the backup).  Aikman, Marino, Elway, P Mannning, E Mannning, Big Ben, and many other sucessful QBs started in year 1.   Sure, some had more sucess that others in year 1 but who's to say that didn't speed up the progress that Manning and Elway experienced in year 2.  Perhaps if Carson Palmer started in year 1, he would have been more experienced and the Bungles would have won 1 more game the year they made the playoffs and had to face the Steelers in the wild card game when he got his leg severed by Kimo Von Olhoffen.

As stated in my earlier post, I'm just happy to see Bortles sitting because I think our Oline is still going to be pretty bad this year.

Quote:I have always favored redshirting franchise quarterbacks whenever possible. Joe Montana, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, and Nick Foles - players who went on to have very successful careers - were all backups their rookie seasons. Peyton Manning's first season, he led the NFL in interceptions. John Elway's first season, he got benched after several bad games. People love to point to current starting quarterbacks who had great rookie seasons but their teams had quarterback emergencies and they were ready to be thrown into fires. Blake Bortles did not start four years like they did or have a position coach any of his three seasons. He only started two years. So it is pretty obvious he is not like other quarterbacks who immediately were named Day 1 starters and played like veterans when they were rookies.

Quote:Good post ....... but there is no real data that supports either decision (starting in year 1 or being the backup).  Aikman, Marino, Elway, P Mannning, E Mannning, Big Ben, and many other sucessful QBs started in year 1.   Sure, some had more sucess that others in year 1 but who's to say that didn't speed up the progress that Manning and Elway experienced in year 2.  Perhaps if Carson Palmer started in year 1, he would have been more experienced and the Bungles would have won 1 more game the year they made the playoffs and had to face the Steelers in the wild card game when he got his leg severed by Kimo Von Olhoffen.

As stated in my earlier post, I'm just happy to see Bortles sitting because I think our Oline is still going to be pretty bad this year.
Your closing line is of particular interest to me.

I think if Joeckel is what we thought he was when we drafted him, I'm not sure if the OL will be bad due to a lack of talent as much as it will be a lack of cohesion.  Given good health, as the line continues to play together, the performance should improve.

On the other hand, if the team somehow misevaluated Joeckel, and his play at LT this year approximates his play at RT last year, then talent and cohesion would be problems, and the OL will be bad.

Either way, I would like, at minimum, for Bortles to sit the first five games.
Quote:Good post ....... but there is no real data that supports either decision (starting in year 1 or being the backup).  Aikman, Marino, Elway, P Mannning, E Mannning, Big Ben, and many other sucessful QBs started in year 1.   Sure, some had more sucess that others in year 1 but who's to say that didn't speed up the progress that Manning and Elway experienced in year 2.  Perhaps if Carson Palmer started in year 1, he would have been more experienced and the Bungles would have won 1 more game the year they made the playoffs and had to face the Steelers in the wild card game when he got his leg severed by Kimo Von Olhoffen.

Every situation is unique, but I tend to think a player like Bortles, who does have issues he needs to work on, will probably benefit greatly from taking the slow road to the starting position.  I don't see it hindering his career in any way.
Quote:Your closing line is of particular interest to me.

I think if Joeckel is what we thought he was when we drafted him, I'm not sure if the OL will be bad due to a lack of talent as much as it will be a lack of cohesion.  Given good health, as the line continues to play together, the performance should improve.

On the other hand, if the team somehow misevaluated Joeckel, and his play at LT this year approximates his play at RT last year, then talent and cohesion would be problems, and the OL will be bad.

Either way, I would like, at minimum, for Bortles to sit the first five games.
Agree with the above.  I think the biggest area of concern with Bortles is not just his mechanics, but his protection.  We don't want to trot him out there behind an untested line that is completely re-tooled for 2014 until it has had an opportunity to gel as a unit.  There is too much at stake when you're talking about the guy you expect to be your starter for the next decade. 
I'm a little worried about Bortles.

He has a funny name.
Quote:I'm a little worried about Bortles.

He has a funny name.

I actually don't think he does. 

Blake Bortles sounds like an NFL QB to me. 

then again, so did Blaine Gabbert....so.....
Pages: 1 2