Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blessed to be a Jaguar right now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After a 4-12, Im as excited as I've ever been for the upcoming season. Our wide receivers are Cecil Shorts, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Ace Sanders, and Mike Brown! Do you guys remember the days of Jason Hill being our #1 receiver with Mike Thomas on the opposite side? Even without Justin Blackmon, we've got a formidable group. Blake Bortles, the antitheses of Blaine Gabbert, was considered as the best QB in this year's draft by many teams including the team with the first pick. Toby Gerhart to be our horse and Storm Johnson look like they're ready to make everyone forget about, with all respect to his accomplishments, Maurice Jones-Drew. Cyprien entering his second year, flying around making hits. I don't want to temper my excitement or be optimistically cautious. How can I be? Gus Bradley is our head coach! Dave Caldwell is building this thing from the ground up and after two years has put talent on the field that feels like the mid 2000s. Khan just "built" the world's largest scoreboards and that takes a backseat to everything we've done in the offseason! 

I know that even 6 wins this year will be a tall task, but this ride feels awfully special 

If we win less than 6 games the magical ride might be heading towards the ground.

Quote:If we win less than 6 games the magical ride might be heading towards the ground.
I disagree. I think 6 wins for a rebuilding team is marginal improvement considering that last year at this time, we were hanging our hopes on Blaine Gabbert, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Justin Blackmon as the driving force. None of those guys are here anymore. Caldwell built this thing from the ground and this is only year 2
I'm not saying playoffs or bust but we can't just go 5-11 or 4-12 again and assume it's going to help the franchise. Excuses are just excuses. If we go 7-9 and our young players show promise I'd be happy. 4-12ish is just more of the same.

With the schedule we have this year i would be utterly shocked if we didn't win 6 or 7 games. 

9-7 MARK MY WORDS!
Personally, I'd be happy going 8-8. The first half of our schedule looks a bit brutal, but with our draft and free agency additions, I expect to see a much improved team on the field this season. Yes, I initially expect to see some stumble and bumble, but hopefully they find that<i><b> </b></i>coheisiveness early and play some serious ball.

I just want to be in games in the 4th quarter.
It is definitely an awesome time to be a Jags fan. Something just feels different.
I'm expecting a little more then 6 wins, especially if your selling me the bill of goods we are going to compete in 2015

Quote:After a 4-12, Im as excited as I've ever been for the upcoming season. Our wide receivers are Cecil Shorts, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Ace Sanders, and Mike Brown! Do you guys remember the days of Jason Hill being our #1 receiver with Mike Thomas on the opposite side? Even without Justin Blackmon, we've got a formidable group. Blake Bortles, the antitheses of Blaine Gabbert, was considered as the best QB in this year's draft by many teams including the team with the first pick. Toby Gerhart to be our horse and Storm Johnson look like they're ready to make everyone forget about, with all respect to his accomplishments, Maurice Jones-Drew. Cyprien entering his second year, flying around making hits. I don't want to temper my excitement or be optimistically cautious. How can I be? Gus Bradley is our head coach! Dave Caldwell is building this thing from the ground up and after two years has put talent on the field that feels like the mid 2000s. Khan just "built" the world's largest scoreboards and that takes a backseat to everything we've done in the offseason! 

I know that even 6 wins this year will be a tall task, but this ride feels awfully special 

Unproven RBs, unproven rookie QB who likely won't play much this year and unproven WRs aside from Cecil Shorts...  As of this moment, I think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment this season as is usually the case this time of year (I've been guilty of this myself in the past).  The chances of all of these unproven commodities coming up Jackpot are slim.

Just get better, be better and be competitive is all I'm asking for this season.  I've got my season tickets and will be at the games regardless.
Where is the "we are going to compete in 2015 "statements coming from? I have not heard Caldwell make a claim like this. I highly doubt he would put his self in a position like Gene did when he put a time table on it. Caldwell had even less talent carried over from the previous regime to help the process as well. This truly is a destroy and rebuild project. With that said. improvement to me would be not getting blown out and competing to the end of games. They did win 4 games to my surprise last year so to appease the fans who need the box score to make them feel better and can not gauge real improvement on the field, I would say 6-7 wins is what they need to be considered successful by the masses. 

At the end of the day this team is full of rookies, and new players. We are a long way off before we can truly go into a game and think this is an easy win. Those days are over. This team needs to learn how to compete week in and week out.

Quote:Unproven RBs, unproven rookie QB who likely won't play much this year and unproven WRs aside from Cecil Shorts...  As of this moment, I think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment this season as is usually the case this time of year (I've been guilty of this myself in the past).  The chances of all of these unproven commodities coming up Jackpot are slim.

Just get better, be better and be competitive is all I'm asking for this season.  I've got my season tickets and will be at the games regardless.

That is a very realistic perspective.   I think we need another year of development and another round (2015) of high draft picks to kick this team in high gear.
People have to realize this years draft is not set for an immediate impact.

Quote:Unproven RBs, unproven rookie QB who likely won't play much this year and unproven WRs aside from Cecil Shorts...  As of this moment, I think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment this season as is usually the case this time of year (I've been guilty of this myself in the past).  The chances of all of these unproven commodities coming up Jackpot are slim.

I think most people are looking at 8-8 being a best case scenario. I don't think that maybe are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment. 
Quote:People have to realize this years draft is not set for an immediate impact.
I think the WRs could definitely make an immediate impact. But overall yes, it will take time and especially for Bortles.
Quote:People have to realize this years draft is not set for an immediate impact.

We did pickup a handful of free agents who will likely make an immediate impact.
We won the offseason.

Quote:We won the offseason.

Sweet.

Here's the trophy

[Image: rf-1369.jpg]
Quote:Where is the "we are going to compete in 2015 "statements coming from? I have not heard Caldwell make a claim like this. I highly doubt he would put his self in a position like Gene did when he put a time table on it. Caldwell had even less talent carried over from the previous regime to help the process as well. This truly is a destroy and rebuild project. With that said. improvement to me would be not getting blown out and competing to the end of games. They did win 4 games to my surprise last year so to appease the fans who need the box score to make them feel better and can not gauge real improvement on the field, I would say 6-7 wins is what they need to be considered successful by the masses. 

At the end of the day this team is full of rookies, and new players. We are a long way off before we can truly go into a game and think this is an easy win. Those days are over. This team needs to learn how to compete week in and week out.

Laughing if we're not competitive by year 3 we're still going with the blame Gene thing? come on, this is Caldwells roster, I expect we will be competitive by year 3 of the rebuild, no excuses. 
Pages: 1 2