Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bands that are good in studio, but suck live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'll go first...

Motley Crue. 

I've seen them a few times over the years and in each show it was the same thing, Vince Neil seemingly out of breath and unable to really perform the vocals the way they should be sang. 

The rest of the band held their own for the most part, but the front man is supposed to take the lead and Vince just can't cut it live. 

I saw Bob Dylan in concert. He really sucked.

I haven't been to a live concert in a long time, but most I saw were very good live.

Guns n Roses. One of the best concerts I've ever been to cause it was Guns n Roses.. Was also one of the worst sounding. Axl stunk.
Korn sucked live for me, I love their stuff but the live show really was a let down. Saw them at EDBD about 5 years ago?

Aerosmith, two different shows, both equally terrible.

Quote:Guns n Roses. One of the best concerts I've ever been to cause it was Guns n Roses.. Was also one of the worst sounding. Axl stunk.

Was this pre or post 1993?

Quote:Aerosmith, two different shows, both equally terrible.

Thats surprising, I saw them 2x, once in 1990 and the other several years later and they were great both times. 
Quote:Korn sucked live for me, I love their stuff but the live show really was a let down. Saw them at EDBD about 5 years ago?

I've heard this from more than a few people. Glad I've never paid to see them live. 
Quote:Korn sucked live for me, I love their stuff but the live show really was a let down. Saw them at EDBD about 5 years ago?

Interesting. I saw them live a few years ago when they headlined Mayhem Festival and I thought they sounded pretty good. I wonder how they sound now that they have their other guitarist back?
Wait, Motley Crue was good in studio?

I was unimpressed with Black Sabbath when I saw them on their tour supporting their Paranoid album. It was my first concert, and was doomed already due to the poor acoustics of the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Ozzie was hoarse, they false started on War Pigs. After their third song the drummer stood up, threw his drum stool against the wall behind him and stalked off the stage.

Show over.

Foghat was terrible.  The bass player kept shaking his skinny little derriere at the crowd the whole concert.   

Conversely, REO Speedwagon sounded like they did in the studio.  Great concert.  Before Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen, I saw him absolutely physically abuse one of his guitarists on stage.  I don't know what the beef was, but if it were me Sammy would have been singing around a mouthful of Stratocaster. 

Quote:Interesting. I saw them live a few years ago when they headlined Mayhem Festival and I thought they sounded pretty good. I wonder how they sound now that they have their other guitarist back?

It wasn't that they sounded any different it was just almost like they where annoyed to be there.

Papa roach on the other hand put on the best show I've ever seen live
I love Metallica but I always thought they sucked live. I saw them open up for Ozzy during the Master of Puppets tour when Cliff was still alive. They were pretty badarse then but that was before I was into them.

Then I saw them during the Monsters of Rock tour in '88 and during the black album tour in '92 or so and those last two times I saw them I thought they were horrible.
Pearl Jam; at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.  Walked out 1/2 way through the concert as I couldn't follow the songs' progression even though I knew them all.

Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction. Saw them both on NIN's "farewell" tour in 2009. NIN's production was underwhelming and their sound left much to be desired--how did they end up opening for JA again? JA was just flat terrible. Dave Navarro looked disinterested at best and played like it, and Perry Farrell was just annoyingly over the top on everything. We left halfway through "Ocean Size", which was their main set closer. Couldn't be troubled to fight through traffic over whatever encore they had planned.

Quote:Wait, Motley Crue was good in studio?

I was unimpressed with Black Sabbath when I saw them on their tour supporting their Paranoid album. It was my first concert, and was doomed already due to the poor acoustics of the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Ozzie was hoarse, they false started on War Pigs. After their third song the drummer stood up, threw his drum stool against the wall behind him and stalked off the stage.

Show over.

Were there refunds?
Quote:I love Metallica but I always thought they sucked live. I saw them open up for Ozzy during the Master of Puppets tour when Cliff was still alive. They were pretty badarse then but that was before I was into them.

Then I saw them during the Monsters of Rock tour in '88 and during the black album tour in '92 or so and those last two times I saw them I thought they were horrible.

Not surprised at all to hear that Metallica sucks live. 
90% of rappers I find are not nearly as good live. Those who are exceptions are great. Pro Tools has made it too easy for marginal talent to sound good.
I haven't seen Metallica since the Justice tour, but they were amazing. Things may have changed.
Quote:I'll go first...

Motley Crue. 

I've seen them a few times over the years and in each show it was the same thing, Vince Neil seemingly out of breath and unable to really perform the vocals the way they should be sang. 

The rest of the band held their own for the most part, but the front man is supposed to take the lead and Vince just can't cut it live. 

In their heyday, they were one of the best at sounding like their album.  When I saw them 89-90, they were so tight I thought they were pulling a Milli Vanilli.
Pages: 1 2 3 4