Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars' Secret Superstar according to PFF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ball was also 6th in number of pass defenses according to PFF.

He was good last year and the biggest reason for the pass defense's turnaround. I don't expect him to repeat his performance but I hope he plays the veteran role for the new guys.

I didn't realize ball had such a good season.  good on Bradley and Caldwell using him properly.

has me excited for what they will be able to do with Colvin.
Quote:I didn't realize ball had such a good season.  good on Bradley and Caldwell using him properly.
that's the thing, when someone does something right, you don't hear much about it, it's when they mess up.  There were times all year that bradley praised ball, but IMO will blackmon had a lot of the "eye-catching" plays that made us overlook ball despite that ball was actually playing better more consistent football. 
I'll admit when I first heard Ball was getting a chance to compete as a starter and then eventually named starter it was a head scratching moment for me. He has been absolutely atrocious in his other stints around the league. This past season Ball was quietly one of our best players on defense constantly shutting down his WR. Major cudos to both Gus and Dave for identifying and placing Ball in a position to succeed and prove us doubters wrong.
Quote:I'll admit when I first heard Ball was getting a chance to compete as a starter and then eventually named starter it was a head scratching moment for me. He has been absolutely atrocious in his other stints around the league. This past season Ball was quietly one of our best players on defense constantly shutting down his WR. Major cudos to both Gus and Dave for identifying and placing Ball in a position to succeed and prove us doubters wrong.

I was weary as well, along with Sen ' Derrick marks. Now, I have a lot in confidence in our pro personnel director as well as Caldwell. Excited to see Hood and Gerhart
Remember when Cox was our secret superstar?
I think he's a solid player, but I don't see how PFF can accurately grade people in the secondary.  They are off the screen most of the time.

Quote:I'll admit when I first heard Ball was getting a chance to compete as a starter and then eventually named starter it was a head scratching moment for me. He has been absolutely atrocious in his other stints around the league. This past season Ball was quietly one of our best players on defense constantly shutting down his WR. Major cudos to both Gus and Dave for identifying and placing Ball in a position to succeed and prove us doubters wrong.

This is how i felt as well, got to say i'm happy i was wrong though.
Quote:I think he's a solid player, but I don't see how PFF can accurately grade people in the secondary.  They are off the screen most of the time.

All fans and media have access to all-22 and end zone views through NFL Game Pass.
Quote:All fans and media have access to all-22 and end zone views through NFL Game Pass.
So it's similar to game film then where it shows the whole field of play?
Quote:So it's similar to game film then where it shows the whole field of play?

Yes
Quote:So it's similar to game film then where it shows the whole field of play?

Yes, two views. All-22, which shows the full field from high above the sideline, and end zone.
Doesn't any body remember Ball's 'original' coming out party?  Hint, it was a Thanksgiving day game... 

I remember last off season Hearing Alan Ball interviewed on Sirius radios NFL channel before he signed with the Jags and thinking how impressive of a person he was. The hosts just raved about him which puzzled me as he seemed just a journeyman 7th round draft pick. I was glad when he signed with us but didn't really expect much. He is really a stand up guy and I'm very happy for him personally for his successful year.

Quote:I think he's a solid player, but I don't see how PFF can accurately grade people in the secondary.  They are off the screen most of the time.

Quote:All fans and media have access to all-22 and end zone views through NFL Game Pass.

Even with that, there are limits to evaluations of this sort.

Unless you know what a player's given assignment was on a play under the defense called, and what a player is supposed to do under certain conditions, you still don't completely know how a player did on a play.  A guy can abandon a zone, go into another zone and intercept a pass.  Free lancing got him an INT, but will drive a coach nuts because it potentially left a hole in the coverage that a better QB can exploit.

You can make a reasonable guess under the circumstances.

How much?
Quote:How much?

I think it was like $30 or so when I bought it.