Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Peter King: Jax could be a sleeping giant soon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing'>Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/468393944598855680'>May 19</a>

RT <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/imbillmcneal'>@imbillmcneal</a>: What does it say that <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jags?src=hash'>#Jags</a> had 6,200 fans at rookie minicamp practice? ... Great news. Jax could be sleeping giant soon.

After 20 years of developing the fan base here in Jax, does anyone else feel like the franchise is on the cusp of finally making huge strides towards being in the same category as the Green Bay's and Pittsburgh's in terms of being an NFL city? Since the Jaguars are the only show in town, I think the momentum we are gaining can grow exponentially.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing'>Peter King@SI_PeterKing </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/468393944598855680'>May 19</a>
<span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">RT
I</span><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/imbillmcneal'>@imbillmcneal</a><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">: What does it say that
</span><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jags?src=hash'>#Jags</a><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);"> had 6,200 fans at rookie minicamp practice? ... <span>Great news. Jax could be sleeping giant soon.
</span></span>

After 20 years of developing the fan base here in Jax, does anyone else feel like the franchise is on the cusp of finally making huge strides towards being in the same category as the Green Bay's and Pittsburgh's in terms of being an NFL city? Since the Jaguars are the only show in town, I think the momentum we are gaining can grow exponentially.
I don't think we will ever be in the same category as GB or Pit but i do believe we are on our way to great things.
Quote:Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing  May 19

RT @imbillmcneal: What does it say that #Jags had 6,200 fans at rookie minicamp practice? ... Great news. Jax could be sleeping giant soon.

In a sense.  I think it would take a long time to get there nationally in terms of volume, but I think the fan base is building a loyalty that is similar to the loyalty those fan bases feel.  I posted a message about this a couple days ago, how it seems to be going through a transformation.
The excitement's there, no doubt. But, it was there with the ALL IN campaign, too... And what came out of that was a 2-14 season. Jaguars fans have bought into the hype before and been burned. GB and Pittsburgh also do not have to contend with college football fever the way Jax does. I don't see us ever becoming a one-horse town, but we can become a big player for years to come, and Vic said it best...

"Just win, baby."

There's a huge wave of retired baby boomers moving into the area, particularly from the northeastern parts of the country, and that wave will probably continue for the next decade or so.   These people aren't as infatuated with SEC football.     If the Jaguars can put a Championship contender on the field during this tim,  these transplants could adopt them as their new hometown team.  If not, they'll just keep their old hometown allegiances to the teams they grew up watching.  

I have no doubt in Bradley's ability to build a Championship caliber defense if he's given 3-4 years at the helm.   That and a running game, good special teams and winning the turnover margin can win you 8-11 games in the NFL.   After that, hitting the next level depends on what Bortles turns out to be.  

Quote:The excitement's there, no doubt. But, it was there with the ALL IN campaign, too... And what came out of that was a 2-14 season. Jaguars fans have bought into the hype before and been burned. GB and Pittsburgh also do not have to contend with college football fever the way Jax does. I don't see us ever becoming a one-horse town, but we can become a big player for years to come, and Vic said it best...

"Just win, baby."

I disagree. Football is engrained in the Jacksonville culture from the High School level on. Generation Jaguar is finally all grown up and I fully anticipate the Jags to continue to be not only the #1 ticket in town, but far and away so.
Quote:The excitement's there, no doubt. But, it was there with the ALL IN campaign, too... And what came out of that was a 2-14 season. Jaguars fans have bought into the hype before and been burned. GB and Pittsburgh also do not have to contend with college football fever the way Jax does. I don't see us ever becoming a one-horse town, but we can become a big player for years to come, and Vic said it best...

"Just win, baby."

"All In" was a little different because that was a marketing thing from the Jag's side.  What's happening now is more organic.  Things like the Bold City Brigade are evidence that fans are starting to take their loyalty seriously.  Sure winning will help as it always does but the personal loyalty hardcore fans feel about the team are what gets fans through the hard times.
I don't see this happening if losses still out number wins by a lot. 

Love how it all went from "A UF college town that would never support an NFL team" to "The only show in town, I think the momentum we are gaining can grow exponentially., "..

Quote:I don't see this happening if losses still out number wins by a lot. 

It's hard to be as bad as the Jaguars have been for such stretches of time. Year after year of drafts that yielded literally no one of any significant level of talent or ability.

The principle of regression to the mean indicates it's unlikely for the Jaguars to continue to be as bad as they've been for the last six seasons. And the last two drafts have looked really really good, so it looks like at least decent performance is already well indicated.
one year away

Jaguars maybe gaining fans, but they'll lose those fans at season end when they have to endure 3 hours of anemic offense and zero pass rush on defense that makes 2nd tier qb's look like Tom Brady.

Quote:Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing  May 19

RT @imbillmcneal: What does it say that #Jags had 6,200 fans at rookie minicamp practice? ... Great news. Jax could be sleeping giant soon.

It is great strides. Happy to see it. 
Quote:one year away

I agree....I hope the fan base that is gung ho right now is also smart enough to realize this, too. 

We are on the upswing, but 2015 is the year that I really expect to see a serious playoff push. 

I'm hoping the fans aren't short sighted enough to say things like "oh see, same old Jaguars" if we happen to start out slow again this season, because we very well might. 
The JAGS will shock some folks this year.

Quote:"All In" was a little different because that was a marketing thing from the Jag's side.  What's happening now is more organic.  Things like the Bold City Brigade are evidence that fans are starting to take their loyalty seriously.  Sure winning will help as it always does but the personal loyalty hardcore fans feel about the team are what gets fans through the hard times.

I do love seeing the Bold City Brigade gather steam. I am a part of Generation Jaguar (32 years old), and I am a Jags fan thru and thru... I think we'll continue to develop that hardcore fan base, but with college football so entrenched, I think it'll be a both/and, rather than an either/or situation.
Quote:I agree....I hope the fan base that is gung ho right now is also smart enough to realize this, too. 

We are on the upswing, but 2015 is the year that I really expect to see a serious playoff push. 

I'm hoping the fans aren't short sighted enough to say things like "oh see, same old Jaguars" if we happen to start out slow again this season, because we very well might. 

Quote:The JAGS will shock some folks this year.

see....lol.....case in point (already)....
Quote:I agree....I hope the fan base that is gung ho right now is also smart enough to realize this, too. 

I totally agree that we are one year away but look at our division. No one in our division scares me and if we win the division, its playoffs babay.

If we can finally have a pass rush and get just average QB play, we will be better than people think. Obviously those are 2 big "if's" but hey, the Bengals made the playoffs in Daltons rookie season in a much tougher division.

Quote:I totally agree that we are one year away but look at our division. No one in our division scares me and if we win the division, its playoffs babay.

If we can finally have a pass rush and get just average QB play, we will be better than people think. Obviously those are 2 big "if's" but hey, the Bengals made the playoffs in Daltons rookie season in a much tougher division.

Were not close to winning the division (this year). Indy will win 10 games, minimum. 

Houston isn't finishing anywhere close to the 2-14 they were last year. They are going to finish with somewhere between 8 & 10 wins. They have a decent chance to sweep us this year. Last year was a complete train wreck for them, and I don't think they gave Jax a great effort in either game in 2013, minus the 2nd half of the 2nd game. 

I hope people aren't expecting something like the above is suggesting for 2014....Its very unlikely to happen. 

We're definitely on the right track, but 6 wins is more realistic given our QB situation for 2014; i.e..Henne or a raw Bortles. 

By 2015, 9 or 10 wins should be the expectation. 

Quote:Were not close to winning the division (this year). Indy will win 10 games, minimum. 

Houston isn't finishing anywhere close to the 2-14 they were last year. They are going to finish with somewhere between 8 & 10 wins. They have a decent chance to sweep us this year. Last year was a complete train wreck for them, and I don't think they gave Jax a great effort in either game in 2013, minus the 2nd half of the 2nd game. 

I hope people aren't expecting something like the above is suggesting for 2014....Its very unlikely to happen. 

We're definitely on the right track, but 6 wins is more realistic given our QB situation for 2014; i.e..Henne or a raw Bortles. 

By 2015, 9 or 10 wins should be the expectation. 
We can "hope" for it. I know the odds of it happening are not very good but what were the odds the Bengals went 9-7 and made the playoffs with Dalton as their QB? I'm not saying we will make the playoffs but crazier things have happened.

I am very realistic and I think we are a 7 win team but having a couple lucky bounces here and there wouldn't hurt.,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5