Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blaine Gabbert vs Blake Bortles pre draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We know how Blaine Gabbert turned out and don't really know how Bortles will turn out.  Lets throw out Gabberts pro career and compare the two pre draft.

Blaine Gabbert college career

6'4 235lbs

+Athletic and can create plays with his legs

+Good Arm

+Prototypical size

-Accuracy is questionable

-Often stared down the pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield

-Spread offense. He has to learn how to play behind the center in a pro style offense

Blake Bortles

6'5 232lbs

+Good pocket presence and will stand in there tough to make a completion

+Good at Improvising. Makes plays on his own

+Good Arm

+Makes plays with his legs

-He has to learn how to throw like an NFL QB. Will need to rebuild his mechanics

-Accuracy and inconsistent. Probably related to broken mechanics

-Has to learn to throw the ball downfield more often. The short passing game rarely works in the NFL

Say these 2 Qb's were in the same draft.  Who would you pick?

Your mother. 

Going off the film of their collegiate careers ... Bortles.
Did that scouting report really say the short passing game dosent work in the NFL?
Bortles was very accurate on intermediate throws and decent on deep passes. So I don't understand why the short passing game is posted.

Bortles and it's not close.
Quote:We know how Blaine Gabbert turned out and don't really know how Bortles will turn out.  Lets throw out Gabberts pro career and compare the two pre draft.

Blaine Gabbert college career

6'4 235lbs

+Athletic and can create plays with his legs

+Good Arm

+Prototypical size

-Accuracy is questionable

-Often stared down the pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield

-Spread offense. He has to learn how to play behind the center in a pro style offense

Blake Bortles

6'5 232lbs

+Good pocket presence and will stand in there tough to make a completion

+Good at Improvising. Makes plays on his own

+Good Arm

+Makes plays with his legs

-He has to learn how to throw like an NFL QB. Will need to rebuild his mechanics

-Accuracy and inconsistent. Probably related to broken mechanics

-Has to learn to throw the ball downfield more often. The short passing game rarely works in the NFL

Say these 2 Qb's were in the same draft.  Who would you pick?

Not sure I agree with all of your descriptions above. 

Gabbert's playmaking with his legs was way oversold....even in college. 

I think Bortles throws the ball downfield adequately now. I don't see a QB who's afraid to take chances downfield....and he has great touch on longer passes, unlike Gabbert. In the Baylor game I saw several instances of decent downfield passing from Bortles. 
Bortles, I hated when we picked Gabbert

Quote:Bortles, I hated when we picked Gabbert

I hate brussel sprouts
I would take the one who was in college for an extra year.

Quote:I would take the one who was in college for an extra year.

Blake Bortles was not in college an extra year.
Quote:I would take the one who was in college for an extra year.

So blank #2?
Blaine Gabbert is about as athletic as my 80 year old grandmother.
Quote:I hate brussel sprouts
^This
From an article about three bad quarterbacks and how their teams got better by drafting replacements in the first round:

<b><i>What was the book on Blaine Gabbert heading into the 2011 draft?</i></b> Gabbert ranked as the top quarterback in the 2011 class on several boards across the league. Teams were intrigued with his prototypical physical dimensions, arm talent and athleticism. In 26 starts for the Missouri Tigers, Gabbert completed more than 61 percent of his passes for 6,779 yards, posting a 40:18 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Although Gabbert's numbers paled in comparison to Chase Daniel's production guiding the same offense, Gabbert's raw tools convinced many that he could develop into an impact player in the pros.

Scouts did worry about Gabbert's pocket poise and deep-ball accuracy. He seemingly wilted under heavy pressure at Mizzou, exhibiting a lack of composure and courage when the pocket broke down. He routinely flinched with defenders in close proximity -- a tell-tale sign of a quarterback looking at the rush instead of focusing on his progressions down the field. Gabbert also struggled with his accuracy on throws beyond 15 yards; he couldn't consistently place the ball in the strike zone on deep in- or out-breaking routes. Thus, Gabbert compiled numbers by terrorizing opponents with a host of quick-rhythm throws (bubble screens, stick routes and quick outs).

<b><i>Where did it go wrong in Jacksonville?</i></b> Truthfully, Gabbert was destined to fail with the Jaguars. He didn't have a stellar supporting cast around him and he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready to play as a pro. Also, the 2011 NFL lockout prevented Gabbert from getting a jump-start on his career with offseason workouts and minicamps. He didn't have a solid grasp of the offense -- or the speed and pace of the NFL game -- prior to taking over as the Jaguars' starter in Week 3 of his rookie season. Lastly, the Jaguars didn't do Gabbert any favors by having three different offensive coordinators in his three seasons with the team. Sure, NFL quarterbacks are expected to be adaptable, but it's hard for any signal-caller to adjust to constant change in the play-calling department, particularly when it's a young QB still getting a feel for the pro game.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Now, I'm not trying to absolve Gabbert for his role in the Jaguars' underachievement over the last few years, but it's important to note that the team didn't put him in the best situation to succeed. In March,Jacksonville traded him to San Francisco for a sixth-round pick.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"><b><i>Why will it be different for Blake Bortles?</i></b> In their second year with the franchise, general manager Dave Caldwell and head coach Gus Bradleyare making a concerted effort to notrepeat the mistakes of the prior regime. First and foremost, the Jaguars appear to have a plan in place to slowly bring along Bortles until he is ready to take over as the starter. The team re-signed Chad Henne to a two-year deal in March, providing a solid placeholder. Although Henne obviously will do his best to retain the starting position, I'm sure he has been encouraged to share his knowledge with the youngster in the meeting room. The seventh-year veteran should be a valuable mentor to Bortles while he adapts to the NFL.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Whenever Bortles is ready to take the reins, he will be surrounded by a number of enticing weapons acquired by the Jags this offseason. In free agency, Jacksonville scooped up promising RB Toby Gerhart. And in the draft, after selecting Bortles in Round 1, Jacksonville quickly grabbed a pair of intriguing pass catchers (Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson) in the second round. On Day 3 of the draft, the Jags added running back Storm Johnson, Bortles' backfield mate at Central Florida. Thus, Bortles won't feel the pressure of having to carry the entire offense on his back because he is supported by capable playmakers.

Bortles showed glimpses of being a big-time quarterback during his time at UCF, but he must continue to work on his judgment under duress, while developing a better feel for making full-field reads. At the end of the day, though, he has all of the physical tools and intangibles coaches look for in a franchise quarterback.

Quote:From an article about three bad quarterbacks and how their teams got better by drafting replacements in the first round:

What was the book on Blaine Gabbert heading into the 2011 draft? Gabbert ranked as the top quarterback in the 2011 class on several boards across the league. Teams were intrigued with his prototypical physical dimensions, arm talent and athleticism. In 26 starts for the Missouri Tigers, Gabbert completed more than 61 percent of his passes for 6,779 yards, posting a 40:18 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Although Gabbert's numbers paled in comparison to
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/chasedaniel/81284/profile'>Chase Daniel</a>'s production guiding the same offense, Gabbert's raw tools convinced many that he could develop into an impact player in the pros.

Scouts did worry about Gabbert's pocket poise and deep-ball accuracy. He seemingly wilted under heavy pressure at Mizzou, exhibiting a lack of composure and courage when the pocket broke down. He routinely flinched with defenders in close proximity -- a tell-tale sign of a quarterback looking at the rush instead of focusing on his progressions down the field. Gabbert also struggled with his accuracy on throws beyond 15 yards; he couldn't consistently place the ball in the strike zone on deep in- or out-breaking routes. Thus, Gabbert compiled numbers by terrorizing opponents with a host of quick-rhythm throws (bubble screens, stick routes and quick outs).

Where did it go wrong in Jacksonville? Truthfully, Gabbert was destined to fail with the
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a>. He didn't have a stellar supporting cast around him and he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready to play as a pro. Also, the 2011 NFL lockout prevented Gabbert from getting a jump-start on his career with offseason workouts and minicamps. He didn't have a solid grasp of the offense -- or the speed and pace of the NFL game -- prior to taking over as the
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a>' starter in Week 3 of his rookie season. Lastly, the
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a> didn't do Gabbert any favors by having three different offensive coordinators in his three seasons with the team. Sure, NFL quarterbacks are expected to be adaptable, but it's hard for any signal-caller to adjust to constant change in the play-calling department, particularly when it's a young QB still getting a feel for the pro game.

Now, I'm not trying to absolve Gabbert for his role in the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a>' underachievement over the last few years, but it's important to note that the team didn't put him in the best situation to succeed. In March,<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333081/article/blaine-gabbert-traded-from-jags-to-san-francisco-49ers'>Jacksonville traded him to San Francisco</a> for a sixth-round pick.

Why will it be different for Blake Bortles? In their second year with the franchise, general manager Dave Caldwell and head coach <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/gusbradley/2540220/profile'>Gus Bradley</a>are making a concerted effort to notrepeat the mistakes of the prior regime. First and foremost, the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a> appear to have a plan in place to slowly bring along Bortles until he is ready to take over as the starter. The team <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331679/article/chad-henne-agrees-with-jaguars-could-start-week-1'>re-signed Chad Henne to a two-year deal in March</a>, providing a solid placeholder. Although Henne obviously will do his best to retain the starting position, I'm sure he has been encouraged to share his knowledge with the youngster in the meeting room. The seventh-year veteran should be a valuable mentor to Bortles while he adapts to the NFL.

Whenever Bortles is ready to take the reins, he will be surrounded by a number of enticing weapons acquired by the Jags this offseason. In free agency, Jacksonville scooped up promising RB <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/tobygerhart/497176/profile'>Toby Gerhart</a>. And in the draft, after selecting Bortles in Round 1, Jacksonville quickly grabbed a pair of intriguing pass catchers (<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/marqiselee/2543475/profile'>Marqise Lee</a> and <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/allenrobinson/2543509/profile'>Allen Robinson</a>) in the second round. On Day 3 of the draft, the Jags added running back <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/stormjohnson/2543570/profile'>Storm Johnson</a>, Bortles' backfield mate at Central Florida. Thus, Bortles won't feel the pressure of having to carry the entire offense on his back because he is supported by capable playmakers.

Bortles showed glimpses of being a big-time quarterback during his time at UCF, but he must continue to work on his judgment under duress, while developing a better feel for making full-field reads. At the end of the day, though, he has all of the physical tools and intangibles coaches look for in a franchise quarterback.

Care to post the link?

Also you need to abbreviate the article as well or the mods are going to cause you to have another "password issue" again.
Quote:Blaine Gabbert is about as athletic as my 80 year old grandmother.
Your grandma probably has bigger balls as well
Gabbert looked terrible in college, in 2011 i wasn't so indepth with the draft tho so I didn't really know anything. 

People keep talking about gabbert and his big arm but all he really could've done was throw hard because he threw loops deep and for someone athletic he ran so uncomfortably it was awkward to watch
I was sick when we took Gabbert. I rallied against him all offseason on this very board. He was the 1 QB i didnt want.

That said Bortles was the one QB i didnt want this year other than Garapollo and until i see him succeding on the NFL level i will believe Caldwell made a mistake.

Lol with that said id take Bortles over Gabbert every time. I can live with Caldwell/Bradley trying to fix some mechanics aspects vs teaching a guy to have heart.

Blake saved UCF from one Gabbert, now it's time for him to do that here.
Pages: 1 2