Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: From a talent standpoint, where do the jags rank?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last year our roster was easily the least talented in the league. After all the free agent acquisitions and pick ups in the draft, how much better do you think we got? I know the draft picks and udfa are all based on potential but you know what I'm saying.
I don't think the Jags were the least talented team last year. Close. but not 32nd. 

I'd say the talent infusion with this offseason.....it could bump up to the middle of the pack if most goes right. 

Quote:I don't think the Jags were the least talented team last year. Close. but not 32nd.

I'd say the talent infusion with this offseason.....it could bump up to the middle of the pack if most goes right.

This.

Best case scenario we could've had Alex Mack, Christian Jones, and Blackmon along with our current talent. I love the direction that Dave has us pointed.
Quote:I don't think the Jags were the least talented team last year. Close. but not 32nd.

I'd say the first half of the season we were. Seemed like Denver was the turning point.
Quote:This.

Best case scenario we could've had Alex Mack, Christian Jones, and Blackmon along with our current talent. I love the direction that Dave has us pointed.

dang......what could've been.....those 3 added to what we already have might have bumped us close to (but not yet in) the top 10. 

+1   What an incredible achievement.  

And if Bradley can transmit his infectious nature (G-juice) onto the field, perhaps better.  Just depends on how fast the orchestra learn their parts, and find the discipline to stay in time.
Draft class from last year should be better and the free agents are decent on paper. I would have to say better.

Bottom third. They could prove me wrong, but that's where my expectations are. If I were to put it into a number via power rankings, I would predict somewhere between 17 at best and 24 or 25 at worst.
Quote:Bottom third. They could prove me wrong, but that's where my expectations are. If I were to put it into a number via power rankings, I would predict somewhere between 17 at best and 24 or 25 at worst.
Yeah I was thinking 18-21 give or take. I do think we are #2 in the division though.
Depends on if your talking now or in say 2 years time when we should be making our playoff run

For example if all stay healthy I think our d line is a b for now but we lack young talent , especially as clemons Babin and Bryant will be tailing off by then

on the other side of the ball I would say our o line is a d right now but give joeckel time to grow and if pasztor and Brewster develop with beadles they could be a b

overall I would say we we're a d now with lots of potential to grow

Translate that to a power ranking and I would still say in the bottom third of the league
average with the rest of the league now. We should be a 7-9 type team.

I can safely say the 2013 Jaguars were one of the least talented teams in NFL history and absolutely did possess the least talented roster last year.

I'd love to know what team people believe had less talent, because the Texans and Redskins both had more to their teams than the Jaguars did last year.
Too many unknowns to say for sure.
Let's win some damn football games

Quote:Let's win so damn football games

Do you think we will win so damn football games? If so, who many?
I think the Jags definitely had the worst talent on the league on offense last year.   I think Todman was the best RB on the roster, and the 2nd best WR was Ace. That should not happen in the NFL.   Both guys might not even make the team this year. 

I think the Jags had more talent on defense than a few teams ... Cowboys, Vikings, Bears, Falcons, Redskins for sure.

The problem is it was hard to evaluate talent on both sides of the ball because they were running slow from playing in a completely new system.   It usually takes 1-2 years to implement a zone blocking running game.  I think the OL was definitely improving as the season went along in their run blocking.    Bradley had to simplify the defense during the bye week, and they started playing noticeably faster.   It's not an easy defense to pick up.  It took Carroll/Gus several years to fully implement in Seattle, and Carroll said he couldn't really implement it at all at USC.    I want to see what guys look like when they're playing fast in Gus' fully implemented system.  Having Bryant and Clemons as player coaches should help expedite the process.   

Sorry to sound negative, but I think it's very hard to judge, because right now every team is pointing to its offseason signings and claiming to be stronger.

The players we've brought in should make us better, given time. But I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement from day one.

Always willing to be pleasantly surprised though !
Quote:Bottom third. They could prove me wrong, but that's where my expectations are. If I were to put it into a number via power rankings, I would predict somewhere between 17 at best and 24 or 25 at worst.

This is pretty much where I'm leaning as of today.  A lot of things can change over the next few months.
Quote:I think the Jags definitely had the worst talent on the league on offense last year.   I think Todman was the best RB on the roster, and the 2nd best WR was Ace. That should not happen in the NFL.   Both guys might not even make the team this year. 

I think the Jags had more talent on defense than a few teams ... Cowboys, Vikings, Bears, Falcons, Redskins for sure.

The problem is it was hard to evaluate talent on both sides of the ball because they were running slow from playing in a completely new system.   It usually takes 1-2 years to implement a zone blocking running game.  I think the OL was definitely improving as the season went along in their run blocking.    Bradley had to simplify the defense during the bye week, and they started playing noticeably faster.   It's not an easy defense to pick up.  It took Carroll/Gus several years to fully implement in Seattle, and Carroll said he couldn't really implement it at all at USC.    I want to see what guys look like when they're playing fast in Gus' fully implemented system.  Having Bryant and Clemons as player coaches should help expedite the process.   

This
The lead in brings up an interesting question; how exactly do you define talent? Is it defined with production? With ability? With potential?

For me, the team has all the talent that it's going to get until it starts adding new personnel to the roster. From my perspective, the talent level will only change as players come on and off of the team, not as they develop. The development of their talent - which is inherent in my view - will show itself in production.

Is that how you see talent? Or do you believe that talent can be grown and expanded like ability?

Pages: 1 2